Galveston plans third cruise terminal, with Royal Caribbean as operator

pspercy

12 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I don't think people are hating on Galveston.  At least I'm not. Just pointing out that it's not the most convenient  for air travelers.... I have family in Houston so I'm sure I'll be sailing from there again & I'm looking forward to it!

Oh, no - I was not implying that about your comments at all.  😀

There are a few folks that usually find the Galveston threads, who may have had a prior bad experience (fog or logistics).  

Edited by BSocial
Spacing
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I've had no problem with multiple hotels in the Port Canaveral area. 

Is there any that is full service will bellman for luggage? Perfer more upscale like Hilton or San Luis in Galveston which has great pool and steakhouse along with piano bar

6 minutes ago, George C said:

Is there any that is full service will bellman for luggage? Perfer more upscale like Hilton or San Luis in Galveston which has great pool and steakhouse along with piano bar

Hilton Cocoa Beach Oceanfront.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, George C said:

Cocoa Beach Hilton is full service. Great on Beach Tiki Bar

Doubletree was full service, but still closed due to both Irma repairs and ongoing operations issues. 

Raddison in Cape Canaveral has a really awesome pool, but not beach access.

Hilton family is building 2 new properties next to the new Homewood Suites.  

Inn at Cocoa Beach is very nice, but pricey.

Plus we have the cool NASA 😉

Not hating, just answering you question.

20181205_154332.jpg

20180810_130529.jpg

I wasn't hating on Galveston. Just want to rent a car at a reasonable price and drop it/pick it up,  on the Island, not Texas City. I was on the first cruise by Voyager out of Galveston and had a great time in spite of boarding issues in the terminal.  

Edited by bilyclub
sp

Just now, bilyclub said:

I wasn't hating on Galveston. Just want to rent a car at a reasonable price and drop it/pick it up,  on the Island, not Texas City. I was on the first cruise by Voyager out of Gavelston and had a great time in spite of boarding issues in the terminal.  

We were on one of the first Voyager cruises from Galveston too.  They put the big longhorns on the ship when it came back to port. 

7 minutes ago, bilyclub said:

I wasn't hating on Galveston. Just want to rent a car at a reasonable price and drop it/pick it up,  on the Island, not Texas City. I was on the first cruise by Voyager out of Galveston and had a great time in spite of boarding issues in the terminal.  

I know you are not hating Galveston. 

Just frustration ! Understandable. 

Traveling can be a frustration anytime anywhere .

It's all relative to circumstances .     

I brought Voyager into Galveston on TA.

There is a new expanded terminal # 2 in Galveston for Royal. 

Those embarkation and disembarkation issues are in the past.

Rent cars are still a problem in Galveston, with economic rates of returns.

It is private enterprise issue. Not Galveston Port or City issue. 

With new supply of ships demand will take care of the rental situation .   

See you on the seas

We have only cruised once from Galveston. On Navigator in 2014. We had no issues with the hotel, only had to book for 1 night. It was right on the Gulf side. Had a balcony looking out at the water. I can't recall what was going on but there were a lot of motorcycles in town that week end. The  only issue we had was trying to get a taxi. We went to IHOP for breakfast then tried to get a taxi back to the hotel. After waiting close to an hour one of the customers at the restaurant noticed our panic look and asked what was going on. When we told we needed to get back to the hotel to catch the shuttle he offered to drive us there. He left his wife at the restaurant, would not take anything other than a handshake. We made the shuttle with just a few minutes to spare. At that time I don't know if Uber or Lyft was operating in town.

So, to go along with what Bob is saying, especially to handle an Oasis class ship, there are some things that need to improve. I understand some things are already being worked on which is great. When these conditions are met I would cruise again from Galveston. 

3 hours ago, bilyclub said:

It wasn't loving on Galveston either. To post for all cruise critic members to read to expect that it costs $250 to rent a car when cruising out of Galveston... when you personally never have done this and you actually spent much, much less was deceitful and wrong of you to do this. You knew better and did it anyway. It is what it is. The post was so misleading that it should be removed/deleted. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, George C said:

I booked hotel 6 months before cruise and do not believe that was available, we have lots of Hilton points and would have booked it. But thanks for info.

Same!  It was booked solid in November for my July cruise.  

BTW only DRIVING all the way to FL so we can try a cruise on Harmony.  After that, we will be happy driving all 1.5 hours to Galveston for another cruise on LOS if she is still here. I am so thankful that Royal is in Galveston and we loved loved Liberty. Years ago, we cruised out of Galveston on the Grand Princess.  It seems Princess didn't like us Texans (according to my travel agent).  What??? We are so friendly???  So, thanks again Royal for your presence in Galveston.

Edited by luv2sailAgain

26 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

It wasn't loving on Galveston either. To post for all cruise critic members to read to expect that it costs $250 to rent a car when cruising out of Galveston... when you personally never have done this and you actually spent much, much less was deceitful and wrong of you to do this. You knew better and did it anyway. It is what it is. The post was so misleading that it should be removed/deleted. 

Go to the Costco Travel website. That's the cost of an Enterprise rental to Galveston.  No, back in 2008 it cost me about $150 for a one way Enterprise Rental from IAH to Galveston. The car back was from the pier, but National has since fled the Island. I think your cheerleading is getting extreme.

1 hour ago, BSocial said:

John,

I tried to quote part of your post without the NASA pics but deleted everything accidentally. 

Those were great pics !  You must have had a good viewing area.   

Thanks.  Our balcony faces south and east.  The Cape 🚀 is due north, so we watch from our front door, or go down to the beach. 🌴

41 minutes ago, George C said:

I booked hotel 6 months before cruise and do not believe that was available, we have lots of Hilton points and would have booked it. But thanks for info.

Hilton has a big presence.  Hilton, Doubletree, Hampton Inn, Homewood Suites, and like I said earlier, we seem to be adding another Hampton Inn next door to Homewood.

On 12/6/2018 at 4:15 PM, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Yes, it's true. There are known weekends where two nights minimums are required. These include but are not limited to the following: 

Memorial Day weekend

Labor Day Weekend

Mardi Gras

Christmas on the Strand

Lone Star Rally

I'm sure there are other weekends sprinkled in but these come to mind quickly. Try finding a one night room in Ft Lauderdale during spring break, Memorial & Labor Day weekends or a one night stay in New Orleans during Mardi Gras. Like I said in an earlier post, the weekend we're crusing out of Miami, there is either a two night minimum or close to $300/night for something not much better than a Best Western. So pick your poison. One night minimums are not what most believe they are these days. I'm looking forward to a new ship and new itineraries for Galveston. And don't fret it folks. While Galveston Island is not Ft Lauderdale, but I can assure you, it's better than cruising out of Jersey. Peace out!

We have cruised extensively for years. TA's repo's and many loops. Our last 5 cruises were not out of Galveston but Quebec City, New Jersey, Ft Lauderdale, Tampa and then Port Canaveral . We live in Galveston and love it ! But we spend money cruising and vacationing everywhere, and understand complications of travel. Most of our stories are from Europe and Florida, eventhough we certainly have cruised out of Galveston extensively . Glaveston is not perfect .

Patience is essential, attitude is everything.

A good attitude is the difference between ordeal and adventure!

Being happy does not mean that everything is perfect. It should mean you have decided to look beyond the imperfections of your attitudes and expectations.

Toes in the water, Ass in the sand, Not a worry in the world, a Cold Beer in my Hand, Life is Good Today!!! Zac Brown Band!!

18 minutes ago, ssb said:

Galveston is not perfect

My biggest problem with sailing from Galveston?

I can only buy Shiner Bock the first day of sailing! What the heck....I know there is plenty more down there on deck 1.  Bring it on up.

Damn antiquated Texas liquor laws. LOL Just kidding.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Hilton has a big presence.  Hilton, Doubletree, Hampton Inn, Homewood Suites, and like I said earlier, we seem to be adding another Hampton Inn next door to Homewood.

The only thing that impressed us in area was the pizza in zarrella , really good nyc style