driving from Orlando to Port Canaveral

sherrjo

Hi Cruisers,

We are cruising on HOTS from Port Canaveral but will be hiring a car beforehand.

Reading on other threads it seems like a good idea to drop off party and cases at the port and return the hire car to cocobeach. However these threads were old and I just wonder if advice has changed in the meantime.

We will be a party of 5 with two kids so I will definitely drop off the ladies and kids at the port so they can relax but wondered about the timing between that and me getting back to the port?

I wouldn't want them to wait around too long.

I wouldn't take the car back to Cocoa Beach, I would use an agency that has a location right at Port Canaveral.  That won't take long.  I think when we've done it we've waited maybe half an hour or so for DH to get back.

Edited by acpalmer
  • Like 1

what agency are you renting from?  Some are closer than others .....

For Alamo Enterprise and National you can walk to terminal 1, the RCCL terminal.

Dollar Thrifty and Alamo are the furthest away but even these are just a few miles, a short ride .... BUT you could have to wait for a shuttle if one isn't ready to leave when you are .... 

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Like 1

It would make it easier all around if everybody would drop off their party and baggage at the pier and then drop off the car at the agency. The rental facilities are small and having extra people hanging around and using the shuttles just gums up the works. 

• Like 1

On 12/5/2018 at 5:32 PM, JohninDC said:

Your plan is smart, especially with kids.  Drop everyone and bags off, return the car, and then just the driver rides the shuttle back to the port.

Agree this will make it much easier if it’s just you at the rental location.  Majority of the agencies in The Canaveral area are at most a couple miles from the port.

• 5 months later...

Thanks for the replies we are hiring from Budget only company with a reasonably priced van for our dates. 

Good to know I'm making a good choice regarding drop off 

Regards,

John

• Not sure of all of your arrangements, but is there a reason to leave your passengers wandering around?  Surely they can check-in and board the ship....you can join them whenever you are able.

I didn't know you could all check in separately.

Good to know as we are going this Friday on another cruise and I told my brother in law he'd need to wait. 🙂 

20 hours ago, sherrjo said:

I didn't know you could all check in separately.

Good to know as we are going this Friday on another cruise and I told my brother in law he'd need to wait. 🙂 

As long as each individual has his/her proper ID for the cruise they are good to go.  I am not sure if this applies to minors...they may need adult accompaning them.

• Like 1