Cruise ship hits Dock Key West no ships for 3 months

molly361

Are there any Key Wester's monitoring this forum?  Just read that a Silverseas ship hit the dock at Mallory Square and no ships will be able to dock there for 3 months.  Any info on that  Thanks  I have a cruise that I will change for March on the Brilliance is we are not stopping there

molly361....not to worry, there are 3 piers for the ships in Key West..Outer Mole, B pier, and Mallory pier.

Yes the Mallory pier was struck by a ship trying to leave on a very windy night, and it aborted the move and headed back to the dock and struck it. Ship was released later that night by the Coast Guard to continue on it's way. Word out today from the city is Mallory pier will not be able to be used for 3 months for repairs. 

As for your cruise, according to the Key West Calendar,Brilliancet will be there twice in March and will dock at the Outer Mole both times.

Here is a link to the news article....FL News

I suspect that 3 months is a worst case estimate.  Not too long ago a similar 'dolphin' was taken out by a cargo ship in Canaveral with similar songs of woe .... as I recall it was rebuilt in a matter of a few weeks.

"no ships can dock at Mallory until crews can replace a “mooring dolphin,” which is a large concrete block atop pilings that keeps the ships in a line — and away from the pier — when docking."

Edited by Capt_BJ

• 3 months later...