Vietnam/Cambodia finally getting close

Rebel54

I am so excited.  I finally made my payment today for our April cruise.  I've been struggling with a little guilt on this one but since this may be our last big trip for a while...and I've already booked our airfare....I just made the decision to DO IT.  This will be a very special cruise for us.  We are celebrating 10 years of marriage.  Also, and part of the reason I've been stressing about the amount of money....we will be celebrating a new phase of our lives.  We have bought a home in South Texas, I will be leaving my job of 10 years and we will be moving away from Hawaii.  Big changes and I am so elated.  I will be retiring from Govt service (deferred since I'm not old enough to collect) and he's starting a new career in TX the week after next.  Bummer part is he's going to Texas soon and I'm staying behind to get to the 10 year mark which happens in March.  

So...final payment made.  New passports have been received.  Multi entry 30 day VOA letter done.  Extra passport photos ready.  Cash set aside for visas and incidentals.  Flights booked.  

All that's left to do is survive the next few months without the spouse and get ready to move and travel.  

Thanks for reading.  

• 3 months later...

Hi Rebel 54,

We did a 19 day Vietnam to Cambodia trip with Emerald Waterways in April/18.  It was 7 days on the Mekong sailing from Vietnam to Cambodia with a total of 12 days of pre & post cruise landtours in Vietnam & Cambodia.  Our trip also include 1 night on a boat on Halong Bay.  This was the best of the 25 cruises we've ever taken.

Cost of things there were very economical there, so I wouldn't worry too much about going broke there.  ATMs are readily available in the larger cities you visit.  We got most if not all our Vietnamese & Cambodian currency abroad.  I think we brought about $50.00 worth of Vietnamese currency to start, just in case.

Enjoy.

On 12/5/2018 at 10:26 PM, Rebel54 said:

I am so excited.  I finally made my payment today for our April cruise.  I've been struggling with a little guilt on this one but since this may be our last big trip for a while...and I've already booked our airfare....I just made the decision to DO IT.  This will be a very special cruise for us. 

We are booked on Vietnam/Cambodia in December - still have quite a while to wait. I hope that you will come back and post about your experience.

Have a great time!

1 hour ago, dogs4fun said:

We are booked on Vietnam/Cambodia in December - still have quite a while to wait. I hope that you will come back and post about your experience.

Have a great time!

YES!!  The waiting till you commence your "adventure" takes time and patience.  Look forward to reading reports as what all of you liked most, details for the biggest surprises, etc.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 45,179 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

4 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Have a great time!

I will for sure.  I plan to take lots of notes.  Got my trusty travel journal all ready to go.  Time will fly for you.  I booked our trip in Aug of 2017! Time has flown by.

3 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

YES!!  The waiting till you commence your "adventure" takes time and patience.  Look forward to reading reports as what all of you liked most, details for the biggest surprises, etc.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 45,179 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

I can't wait to go!!!!   We leave in just over a week.

• Like 1

Just now, luv2travel90266 said:

You can always buy it there! We did the trip to Vietnam / Cambodia on Uniworld in January. I would say it was one of my best trips I have taken. While the locals might be the happiest and friendliest people on earth. Enjoy!

🙂  I am so excited.  Excited and nervous.  I've traveled all over Europe and the Caribbean on my own...first time to Asia on my own (i.e. without the military).

48 minutes ago, Rebel54 said:

Ok...so I have cash for the on board visa, cash for the VOA's, extra passport photos, my VOA paperwork, immigration forms...

I feel like I'm forgetting something.

Your passport? 🙂

Sorry, we will miss each other. We are on the Nov. 1 cruise. We did sign up for the pre-extension in Hanoi. We heard that Halong Bay is just beautiful. If this is your first trip on Uniworld, you will love it. They are wonderful.