EDGE REVIEWS POSTED...not very positive!

hcat

38 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Maybe, just maybe this is one of the many posts which tries to validate their 'disdain/dislike' for The Edge based only on what they have read from those who believe similarly.

Thank you for posting the schematics/drawings for both, some of us can tell distinctly when there is 4 sq' missing from a space and others of us cannot or find it barely perceptible, pending on how the 4 sq' is parsed.

bon voyage

are they measured the same, for example do both include the balcony space in the room measurement?

7 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

This is a ridiculous comparison. People have said they need to move things around when opening and closing the bifold doors which don’t exist on Reflection. 

I was responding to someone saying the cabin itself was too small, it’s not.  The balcony on the other hand has issues.

The comparison is not ridiculous.

Edited by Oville
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RDC1 said:

are they measured the same, for example do both include the balcony space in the room measurement?

My take is that the 4 Sq ft difference is in the balcony. Yes, you do need to move furniture around IN THE BALCONY SECTION of the IV room to close the French Doors. But the actual room portion is very spacious. Too many pillows, though. We moved them from the bed to the sofa. But then again this is quite common in regular upscale hotels. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, buramiko said:

This is very true. Friend of mine just got off the edge and he loved every minute of the cruise! Friend and wife are in their 30s, they represent a group who are into IG, snapchat, fast fashion, Japanese whiskies, banksy arts, new iphones, drones, and bubble teas. He was fascinated with Eden, MC, the contemporary interior decor, the live band, and the hip martini bar. Funny how someone complained about not having a band that plays Beatles songs while others like my friend was enjoying green day and nirvana on board.

Apparently he is a complete opposite of the complainers who (no offence to anyone) like to read books quietly, chat and drink tea in a classy ambience, enjoy lush curtains and wood furnishing, and love to mingle and talk life stories with fellow cruisers 🙂

It’s just hard to please both groups at the same time, just saying.

Many labelled old in age do like those same bands( sorry, they are not exactly new!),  the Martini bar, refreshing art,  and live bands on board but also with a balance of mellow,.

Every group and generation think they are the coolest and most innovative, which satisfies the  human needs to belong and be special to the exclusion of others,,,,  but  soon enough the next group  displaces them in being the next best thing!

We know many people in this self defined group... ultra hip, fashion, music  and fad conscious.  But what is hip today may be  passe' tomorrow!

Celebrity should be able to widen its appeal to new cruisers without throwing others overboard!   It is always risky for a business to  play an all or nothing game!

See you on  the EDGE!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

My take is that the 4 Sq ft difference is in the balcony. Yes, you do need to move furniture around IN THE BALCONY SECTION of the IV room to close the French Doors. But the actual room portion is very spacious. Too many pillows, though. We moved them from the bed to the sofa. But then again this is quite common in regular upscale hotels. 

Thank you, I agree about the 4 Sq ft and the balcony.  The cabin itself is similar to S Class with a better bathroom.

2 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Exactly correct!... The early people posting about EDGE, did the balcony comparison  measurements very early on .( E class and S)

The bathrooms are larger on EDGE but the balconies are where the shortfall lies...More interior space just a bit less for the enclosed  balcony which  gives the more boxed in feeling.

There are bigger beds on E class ( king vs  queen) , and no real coffee table  to have to work around..,,

Closets not a big issue for most  for a 7 day cruise.

Still counting down but I believe this will be correct,

8 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

At least Hershey can fix the process and produce kisses with complete tips, Celebrity can't fix the design flaws in the IV balconies.

8 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

At least Hershey can fix the process and produce kisses with complete tips, Celebrity can't fix the design flaws in the IV balconies.

They don’t think they are flaws.  Prices they’re getting seem lucrative 

I think we all have prejudices - I spent 2 years watching this ship being built and loved her before I boarded, warts and all. The main thing I was worried about was how the IVs would work for people. I knew they weren't for us (being from the cold country, we want to be out in the sun and always choose cabins with the most potential for sun), but hoped that they would work well for others who don't wish to be in full sun. The second concern was when the final deck plans came out and there weren't any small lounges.

Though I boarded with stars in my eyes, I saw and reported flaws, just as I have for any ship I have sailed. I spent 2 days in an IV and had an amazing time. I dreaded my DH's reaction to the IV, but we both were pleasantly surprised. We liked our open balconies better, of course, but that IV cabin was pretty cool. There have been positive and negative reviews about them, but still too few to say that people like them or don't like them. Time will tell and I look forward to hearing more reviews from people who have actually sailed in an IV.

We didn't notice the heat wave others have reported when opening the window, but maybe we didn't hang out in the cabin long enough to experience it. I stood at the rail and had a similar experience as I do with any balcony with a complete roof above - it was wonderful. We had great views from the lower window when seated (didn't look distorted to us, but maybe we just didn't notice). It was a lovely place to read, chat and work on my laptop while enjoying the ocean.

We did every configuration there was with our IV and our only complaints were the ones I and others have already mentioned - moving the chairs to shut the bifold doors (not a deal breaker), the lack of a curtain for those of us with different schedules and not being able to peek out of the blind (these could be corrected). I worked on my laptop out there each morning with the bifold doors closed and didn't feel claustrophobic (and I have claustrophobia). The small table is an issue for room service, but that's the way it is for all but 30 staterooms (the upper suites) on the Edge and hopefully will be remedied. Would I book an IV? Probably not for a Caribbean cruise, but not because of what we experienced, but because we would always go for an open balcony in the Caribbean. If anything, I think we now would book one for certain cruises (those where we aren't going for the sun), now that we found we liked it better than we thought.

We were so much happier with the storage than on S Class. We loved all of the outlets and the control panel. The bathroom was so much better than M or S Class. We never had to move things out onto the balcony because the cabin was crowded, as someone reported. If anything, without the coffee table, there was more room in the cabin. If I left the bifold doors open, it was to have even more space and to be closer to that gorgeous ocean view.  I joke about the pillows, but the accent colors were so pretty and the bed/couch with the gorgeous pillows felt luxurious.

One of the big advantages on the Edge is that these cabins have is access to the 4 amazing MDRs. What a fantastic addition! Those MDRs are game changers, IMO. Now everyone on the ship has a smaller, elegant venue with excellent food and service for main dining, not just AQ and Suites.

As far as entertainment, lounges, etc., it is too early for me to make a judgment. This ship is developing her personality. X will try things that work and some that won't (just like they have on their other ships). What we see now is most likely not what we will see in a year. Those of us who are adventurous and want to be on the early cruises will give feedback to help shape the future of the Edge. She is such a beautiful ship, with so much going for her, that we won't give up on her because of an early cruise experience (not a perfect match for lounges, entertainment on the 3 early short cruises we took, but did enjoy much of it) . We will give it some time before deciding whether this class of ship is for us in the future. She is a work in progress.  Right now, we can't wait to get back onboard and enjoy all of the things we loved and see what improvements have been made or are planned!   🙂

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, C-Dragons said:

That's an awfully big assumption on your part. 😉

I agree with Esprit's assessment, the ship is indeed refreshingly different and we also enjoyed it more than our last cruise on Reflection (which we have sailed 5 times). There are a few minor things which I know could be improved, but overall I am happy that X has created this new class of ship that will, going forward, keep our cruising experience from becoming “stale“. Different strokes for different folks... 😊

No assumption, I would back my kids to the hilt in any venture they wished to follow for their career and promote it as much as I could - my ‘rose tinted’ spectacles would definitely be firmly on 🤓. As I did state in my previous post and which I believe most parents would do. Are you saying you wouldn’t? There are obviously several flaws from all the negative reviews on CC, albeit that the actual ship may be a change from the ‘stale’ experience some are experiencing, so that’s very good news.

IMHO, the main complaints with Edge appear to be the IV cabins and yet a few posters still insist, which of course is their prerogative, especially those that have sailed on her,  that it’s not an oceanview with a drop-down window (a cabin with different flooring in a section down the one end). In X’s defence, it was always shown/described as that from the conception of Edge. Pax are paying exorbitant rates for what is basically an oceanview cabin and many won’t mind (or won’t admit) as the cabin isn’t that important as the ship experience to them. 

I am pleased to hear it’s an improvement on Reflection though, which is far too overcrowded for our liking, especially in the height of the peak summer season 😉. We much prefer Silhouette.

According to the accomodations sheet Celebrity put out on the Edge, the cabin is 201 sq ft, and the veranda 42 sq feet for a total of 143 sq feet. I know the diagram posted says 244 sq feet, so it is unclear which is actually correct. At any rate...

On the S class, cabin is 194 sq feet , and balcony is 54 sq feet , total of 248 sq feet.

That  means that the IV veranda is 12 sq feet less than the S class. 

the inside of the IV cabin is 7 sq feet bigger than the S class. And if the bathroom is bigger, and now there are king size beds, that accounts for it feeling smaller and the free space being smaller. 

I do not think anyone can dispute the IV veranda being smaller.  I read on one of these threads that the IV veranda is 4.5 ft in depth as opposed to the S balcony which is app. 6 ft in  Depth. I never measured the S balcony, but I did measure the depth of the IV veranda last week and I came out with about 4.5 ft also.

25 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

........We will give it some time before deciding whether this class of ship is for us in the future. She is a work in progress.  Right now, we can't wait to get back onboard and enjoy all of the things we loved and see what improvements have been made or are planned!   🙂

Yes! Can't wait to be back on board for the TA in April. 😁

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, villauk said:

No assumption, I would back my kids to the hilt in any venture they wished to follow for their career and promote it as much as I could - my ‘rose tinted’ spectacles would definitely be firmly on 🤓. As I did state in my previous post and which I believe most parents would do. Are you saying you wouldn’t? There are obviously several flaws from all the negative reviews on CC, albeit that the actual ship may be a change from the ‘stale’ experience some are experiencing, so that’s very good news.

IMHO, the main complaints with Edge appear to be the IV cabins and yet a few posters still insist, which of course is their prerogative, especially those that have sailed on her,  that it’s not an oceanview with a drop-down window (a cabin with different flooring in a section down the one end). In X’s defence, it was always shown/described as that from the conception of Edge. Pax are paying exorbitant rates for what is basically an oceanview cabin and many won’t mind (or won’t admit) as the cabin isn’t that important as the ship experience to them. 

I am pleased to hear it’s an improvement on Reflection though, which is far too overcrowded for our liking, especially in the height of the peak summer season 😉. We much prefer Silhouette.

As opposed to an ocean view, I feel like the IV is more like having a small sun room with a window that drops down, because it can be separated from the cabin with the bifold doors and has furniture for use in that area (unlike the ocean view). It did have more of a balcony feel than one would think. Believe me, no one was more surprised than I was when I stood at the rail and it felt balcony-like.  I was quite sure that I would not like these cabins. I agree that X has always shown that concept and it shouldn't be a surprise, though there were some functionality surprises. It is definitely a different experience and won't be for everyone. 🙂

Edited by vtcruising

16 minutes ago, ecslady said:

According to the accomodations sheet Celebrity put out on the Edge, the cabin is 201 sq ft, and the veranda 42 sq feet for a total of 143 sq feet. I know the diagram posted says 244 sq feet, so it is unclear which is actually correct. At any rate...

On the S class, cabin is 194 sq feet , and balcony is 54 sq feet , total of 248 sq feet.

Don’t  you mean 243 not 143?  There is not a big difference between 243 vs 244.😉

Edited by Oville

22 minutes ago, ecslady said:

That  means that the IV veranda is 12 sq feet less than the S class. 

the inside of the IV cabin is 7 sq feet bigger than the S class. And if the bathroom is bigger, and now there are king size beds, that accounts for it feeling smaller and the free space being smaller. 

I do not think anyone can dispute the IV veranda being smaller.  I read on one of these threads that the IV veranda is 4.5 ft in depth as opposed to the S balcony which is app. 6 ft in  Depth. I never measured the S balcony, but I did measure the depth of the IV veranda last week and I came out with about 4.5 ft also.

Villauk said:

"I  am pleased to hear it’s an improvement on Reflection though, which is far too overcrowded for our liking, especially in the height of the peak summer season 😉. We much prefer Silhouette."

We agree...Silhouette is our favorite.  Never felt crowded like certain spaces on Reflection did ..

For awhile Ref was dubbed by some as  the Miami DJ party ship.! Too crowded and too noisy!

But it did have a nice spa and Persian Garden!

Looking forward  to EDGE....

18 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

The balcony on Edge is about 29% smaller than the S Class ships. In this case size does matter. 

Very funny.:classic_laugh: We did a 2 day cruise and the weather was chilly and very windy so we for the most part had the window cracked 3 or 4 inches and enjoyed sitting there and watching the ocean.  In April we’ll be in an AQ and on the fence about keeping it to the point we booked another cruise.  A day later we decided to keep the Edge cruise mainly because if it’s too hot out we wouldn’t be sitting on our veranda and with the window closed we will still be able to enjoy the view.  Also, the IV does add space to the cabin when it is not being used.

The Edge IV cabin doesn't sound like what we would want (we tend to live on the balcony). I would miss the coffee table, too.

We like to have breakfast on the balcony, or if the weather doesn't permit, in the cabin.  We actually use the coffee table quite a bit.  Sometimes we bring lunch down to the room, and use the coffee table.  And, if you are in the cabin a lot, where do you put drinks, etc when you are using the sofa?

2 minutes ago, cluso said:

The Edge IV cabin doesn't sound like what we would want (we tend to live on the balcony). I would miss the coffee table, too.

We like to have breakfast on the balcony, or if the weather doesn't permit, in the cabin.  We actually use the coffee table quite a bit.  Sometimes we bring lunch down to the room, and use the coffee table.  And, if you are in the cabin a lot, where do you put drinks, etc when you are using the sofa?

On the tom tom, of course! 😉

We have similar feelings - some will love it and others will want traditional balconies.

1 hour ago, cluso said:

Yes, it sounds like the IV would not be for you, based on what you like to do when in your cabin...

bon voyage