Coffee

eliana

The problem with coffee is that some like dark roast, others like light roast and some people like it weaker than others.  We are fine with the coffee onboard Regent (dark roast, strong coffee lovers).   I'm not sure what the coffee is like in the U.K. since I tend to drink beer when I'm there :classic_tongue:  There have been numerous threads regarding Regent coffee and I doubt if there will ever be an agreement.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

The problem with coffee is that some like dark roast, others like light roast and some people like it weaker than others.  We are fine with the coffee onboard Regent (dark roast, strong coffee lovers).   I'm not sure what the coffee is like in the U.K. since I tend to drink beer when I'm there :classic_tongue:  There have been numerous threads regarding Regent coffee and I doubt if there will ever be an agreement.

Coffee in the morning - (proper) beer in the afternoon - nothing wrong with that.

Those of us in UK who like decent coffee, drink it dark roast (espresso/ macchiato or perhaps flat white). We do NOT put hazelnut or other abominations into it - coffee should taste of coffee.

Anyone who orders a frappyfizzylattycreamycrappy should be shot slowly.

Sorry to be controversial - but my (albeit somewhat limited) experience of US coffee is not good (how anyone could go for Starbucks as their coffee of choice is beyond me).

Now standing by for incoming.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SteveH2508 said:

Coffee in the morning - (proper) beer in the afternoon - nothing wrong with that.

Those of us in UK who like decent coffee, drink it dark roast (espresso/ macchiato or perhaps flat white). We do NOT put hazelnut or other abominations into it - coffee should taste of coffee.

Anyone who orders a frappyfizzylattycreamycrappy should be shot slowly.

Sorry to be controversial - but my (albeit somewhat limited) experience of US coffee is not good (how anyone could go for Starbucks as their coffee of choice is beyond me).

Now standing by for incoming.

Loved your post - especially the part about the "frappyfizzylattycreamycrappy "  I"m not a Starbucks lover and do think that people in the US drink coffee that is either watered down or like Starbucks.  I'm not into fancy coffees but do love the French Coffee on Regent (with the booze in it but no cream).   No arguments from me!

I am also a proponent that coffee should taste like coffee and nothing else.  I prefer stronger coffee and start my day at home with a couple of cups of jet fuel in the form of Cuban espressos. 

During our recent cruise on board the Nav, I found that an Americano made in the Coffee Connection was more to my taste although it was more bitter than I preferred, but that didn't stop me from having three or four cups while waiting for The Boss to get her day started.   However, in the evenings, adding a little amaretto was a great finish to a great meal and maybe adding a little bit of Bailey's Irish Cream in lieu of milk.  By the way, the Nav served Illy's coffee in the Coffee Connection.

Z and TB

and preferably Nespresso which I think is the ONLY proper coffee in the world.  (Now try shooting me slowly too!)

I really don't like the American style coffee that is offered on Regent.  (by which I mean the stuff they pour from jugs at breakfast).  I did find the coffee from their espresso machines to be drinkable.  So I fill my cup with a double espresso and take it into la Veranda with me in the morning.  I once ran into a another passenger doing the same who said that she had Nespresso at home and couldn't stand the coffee poured in the restaurant!  I could only agree.  Strangely the "ordinary" coffee on Oceania is a LOT more drinkable.  Still not what I like but at least doesn't have a burnt taste.

To each his own.  I wish Regent had put Nespresso machines into the suites instead of the Illy..

• Like 1

Are you guys saying that Illy coffee is used throughout the ship?  Is this true of the other ships as well?

And saying that Illy coffee is the best in the world is just, sorry, sIlly!  There are lots of wonderful coffees on the planet, and in my experience, none of them make it onto a cruise ship.  I'm not a huge coffee freak, but dislike dark roasts, but also dislike weak, watery coffee which seems the norm in the restaurants, at least. 

Onboard ship I tend to drink tea, or an occasional cappuccino

1 hour ago, Hambagahle said:

Strangely the "ordinary" coffee on Oceania is a LOT more drinkable.  Still not what I like but at least doesn't have a burnt taste.

Not sure if you remember but the last time we were on Oceania I took a photo of the coffee  they use and it is identical to Regent. So, the difference in taste could be in the preparation or perhaps the equipment used to make the coffee is different!?

5 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

and preferably Nespresso which I think is the ONLY proper coffee in the world.  (Now try shooting me slowly too!)

I really don't like the American style coffee that is offered on Regent.  (by which I mean the stuff they pour from jugs at breakfast).  I did find the coffee from their espresso machines to be drinkable.  So I fill my cup with a double espresso and take it into la Veranda with me in the morning.  I once ran into a another passenger doing the same who said that she had Nespresso at home and couldn't stand the coffee poured in the restaurant!  I could only agree.  Strangely the "ordinary" coffee on Oceania is a LOT more drinkable.  Still not what I like but at least doesn't have a burnt taste.

To each his own.  I wish Regent had put Nespresso machines into the suites instead of the Illy..

Nespresso is absolutely disgusting and shouldn’t be used in a discussion of fine coffee 

Although this is a Regent board, I have to opine that the Seabourn Square baristas do the best coffee I've experienced on a ship. The coffee connection on Regent's Mariner is second. The Oceania baristas are a distant third. Fourth place goes to all the rest.  I've never understood why coffee on ships is so difficult, but it seems to be true.

I'm a black coffee drinker, with the occasional semi dry cappuccino thrown in. Kind of funny,  DH would always order a latte, which I thought strange because he also drinks his black at home. I recently discovered he didn't know that a latte contains way more milk than a Capp.

Once I pointed this out to him he switched to cappuccino for his coffee house drink.

I guess some people don't even know what they are drinking😉

19 minutes ago, vegasdriven said:

I'm a black coffee drinker, with the occasional semi dry cappuccino thrown in. Kind of funny,  DH would always order a latte, which I thought strange because he also drinks his black at home. I recently discovered he didn't know that a latte contains way more milk than a Capp.

Once I pointed this out to him he switched to cappuccino for his coffee house drink.

I guess some people don't even know what they are drinking😉

IMHO a flat white is better - not frothy and less milk (an example of Australia's contribution to world gastronomy).

3 hours ago, Seadog & Sea Hag said:

Nespresso is absolutely disgusting and shouldn’t be used in a discussion of fine coffee 

Rather a harsh comment - especially since we all have different likes and dislikes.  We had coffee made from a Nespresso machine a couple of months ago and it was quite good (as you likely know, there are many varieties of Nespresso so you may dislike some and enjoy the others).

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Not sure if you remember but the last time we were on Oceania I took a photo of the coffee  they use and it is identical to Regent. So, the difference in taste could be in the preparation or perhaps the equipment used to make the coffee is different!?

I had forgotten that Jackie -- now I remember.  and yes - very likely in the method they use.  Regent drip coffee (I suppose it is that?) tastes burnt to me.   Oceania's doesn't.  Could be a question of temperature I suppose.

8 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Rather a harsh comment - especially since we all have different likes and dislikes.  We had coffee made from a Nespresso machine a couple of months ago and it was quite good (as you likely know, there are many varieties of Nespresso so you may dislike some and enjoy the others).

Indeed there are - probably 50 or so different coffees.  I stumbled on one that I thought I should try - and hated it!  I had ordered some so I drank it until I was down to about 20 capsules and then had had enough.  I chucked them and went back to my Ristretto.  Which I love.  Their Dé-caf is also very very good.  You can't tell the difference between the coffee with and without the caffeine.   (That Cloony series of ads was priceless too...)