Questions regarding “shared tables” on Riviera

wowpeople

Haved sailed Riviera several times but this will be our first time not traveling with friends. As we do like to meet new people and would prefer not to sit at table for two we have requested shared table for our specialty dining reservations. Will also ask to do the same in MDR. My questions are:

Are the shared tables for 4,6 or 8 people?

Does Maître d’ attempt to seat passengers according to age group etc?

Any advice in advance? 

Thanks.

They might be for 4 6 or 8. I don't know how they decide who will be at what table, but I'd take a guess and say in the Specialties they just take the people that requested a certain time that agreed to share. I don't think they will make an effort to match age or geographical areas. I was on another cruise line back in the fixed seating era and was matched with a couple from our hometown. 

In the MDR they fill the table with whoever is next in line that agrees to share. 

Oceania has tables of varying size. 2,4,6,8 and even larger if you are with a big group.   We’ve always gotten what we wanted in GDR.  They often sit you with another party who came in just before or after.  I doubt age matters. 

In the specialties we usually want a two top.  It depends on when your reservation window is and what is available.  We generally get two tops for 6:30.  

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

Not sure if specialties have tables for 8. In any case, I find those tables too large for any meaningful interaction among all guests at the table. If sharing, tables for 4 or 6 are ideal, IMO.

They  do  I agree  too large  & it takes more time  for dinner to be done

I usually ask for sharing  for 4 or 6 in the GDR

• 2 weeks later...

Usually the shared tables are six. I agree, eight is too big. And four means that if the other couple doesn't talk as much, you have to do too much work! Although, we have had some lovely dinners with just one other couple at a share table.

The main thing to know, it can be a wonderful experience. Memorable.

And the serving staff don't take orders until the table is full, or until there is a lag in filling the table. They don't wait too long trying to fill it completely. (Staff are able to estimate.) Once they take dinner orders, they won't bring anyone else to join your table.

And it seems that arrival at the dining room between 6:30 and 7:30 pm are best times.

Frances

I was at a table of eight in Toscano on the Nautica in February. Can’t remember in the Polo Grill or on an O ship. Conversation was lively and manageable. Six is probably better but eight can work as well.

Looking at it reasonablely , we have done Privee with ten (10) on several occasions and it has always been a spectacular fun filled evening! Looking forward to another Privee with 10 in February! Obviously some bah humbuggers wouldn’t enjoy those events! Each to his own.

We always ask for a table for 4 or 6 in the GDR.  They always accommodate us. Sometimes we join up with people we meet and chat with in the line knowing we are likely to end up together anyway.

In the specialties we ask for the same and usually get it but, because of the smaller size they are not always able to accommodate us. We have sometimes ended up at a 2 top. Don't recall ever doing a table for 8 except when we were with a group of that size.  Just ask for whatever you want.

Robbie