Medallion Events on Board

Elsa Shores

25 minutes ago, Elsa Shores said:

Do mariners actually wear the medallion to the luncheon or other events?  I was recently presented with my first one and I need to know the expectations are..Thanks.

We took our 100 day medallion medals home and put them with our other cruising memorabilia. We have no plans to wear them on future cruises, but that's just us.

• Like 1

We wore ours to the lunch immediately following the event where we received them. Not sure what to do with them now, but I do not think we will pack them and wear them again.

By the way the ceremony was way more fun then I thought it would be, I was glad I went.

1 hour ago, Elsa Shores said:

Do mariners actually wear the medallion to the luncheon or other events?  I was recently presented with my first one and I need to know the expectations are..Thanks.

I always wear my medallion to the ceremony prior to the luncheon. The times I have gone to the luncheon I have removed the medallion right after sitting down.
I generally don't go to the luncheon anymore. It's just too early to eat lunch when I've just finished breakfast right before the ceremony.

My medallion lives in my carry-on luggage, so I always have it with me when I cruise.

52 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Hang them up in your stateroom -like well-earned trophies. Lets the cabin stewards know their good efforts help play a role in  your own level of brand  loyalty.

This is a very nice idea.  If nothing else, it'll make me feel good to look at it while enjoying my favorite "hobby."  I do like my medallion!

As the OP can see, it really depends on the person. 

I do know of one couple who wear their medallions on Gala Nights in addition to the Mariner reception.

OP: do what you are comfortable with.  It is up to you, no expectations but yours. Congratulations on your first medallion.  I remember the feeling of getting the first one.

4 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

This is a very nice idea.  If nothing else, it'll make me feel good to look at it while enjoying my favorite "hobby."  I do like my medallion!

So do we!  However, the room stewards we have had have mostly been quite in the dark about the Mariner stuff.  They know it exists but is of very little interest to them.

• Like 1

I have a 3 foot "Christmas" tree which is my vacation memorabilia tree.  I have little ornaments from each of my cruises & other vacations on it.  My Medallion is on it with the others.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ithaca gal said:

Got ours and brought them home. Done. We pack too light to even consider bringing them back onboard.  Besides being the most expensive accessory I own, it doesn’t mean much to us. 

Since the medallion doesn't mean much to you, may be you could give it back to HAL, and they can give it to someone else ? 

• Like 1

We were on a cruise once and there was a gentleman who wore his every single day, all day long of a 43 day cruise. I guess he was very proud of his. Ours are at home as a remainder of the travel & adventures we had cruising around exploring the world.

There was a time when (almost) everyone who had a medallion wore it to the Mariner Reception. Those who had one but didn't wear it had forgotten it at home.
Seeing all the people with their medallions made me aspire to keep cruising and get one, too. Oh, the places I have seen simply because I wanted to cruise as much as they had!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RuthC said:

There was a time when (almost) everyone who had a medallion wore it to the Mariner Reception. Those who had one but didn't wear it had forgotten it at home.
Seeing all the people with their medallions made me aspire to keep cruising and get one, too. Oh, the places I have seen simply because I wanted to cruise as much as they had!

Had the same experience with our very first Mariner's Reception - I could not imagine someone had actually cruised one hundred whole days to get that first level award!.....it was the stuff of fantasy and imagination only in our minds at the time. Sure we would cruise again but 100 whole days ...what an inspiration to shoot for.  

Now 10 years later we will soon get our own Gold 500 day medallion so the Medallion ceremonies did have an impact on us too. Did we sail just to get a Medallion, no. Did we sail to fall in love with seeing the world and realized HAL was the very best way to see as much as we could that best matched our own travel budget. Yes. Did HAl earn our loyalty in that regard?, You betcha. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, a.madruga said:

when do you get medallions? Our third HAL cruise this year and nothing yet...

Two "loyalty" recognition systems here:

100 days - actual cruise days - Bronze Medallion

300 days -actual cruise days - Silver

500 days - actual cruise days - Gold 

700 days - actual cruise days - Platinum

Differing from Mariner Star loyalty benefits which are a combination of days sailed, cabin category and money spent onboard.   The Medallions simply recognize days onboard - no additional benefits. The Mariner Star system has increasing benefits as one move up the star level.

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 1