Kids Cruise Free on MSC ... or not ?

2cruiseluvrs

My family has sailed on MSC Divina and MSC Seaside, both times we had young children cruising for free and a teen that was 50% off... and both times during the summer. We're booked for another voyage on Seaside in summer 2019 and we were able to take advantage of those same discounts. But according to a cruise consultant I am in touch with, it looks like the summer 2020 cruises no longer offer the "kids cruise free" promotion. Does anybody out there have inside knowledge of IF and when the "kids cruise free" promo is really going to go bye-bye? It's thanks to THAT promotion that we are able to afford cruising!

There website shows:

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Cruise-Deals/Kids-Cruise-Free.aspx

These promotions come and go, and then come back again. Looking at a few dates during the summer of 2020 it does seem like the kids sail free promo is currently not available, but that doesn't mean that they won't be offered as we get closer to those dates. 

To be honest, I've always been surprised that MSC keeps offering kids sail free promotions during summer months when other cruise lines do not. I hope that they don't go away permanently since both times I've sailed on MSC it's been in great part to these promotions. Time will tell. 

Is your summer 2019 cruise really "free" for the kids?  I did a price quote and the price per adult was 2845.99 (Incl taxes) and $625.99 per kid (incl taxes).  My March 2020 cruise is $298.36 per kid and and $2337.36 per adult (both incl taxes).  I thought that MSC discounted kids fares in higher season and  offered kids sail free in lower season.

44 minutes ago, sidari said:

Kids only sail free in the US unless they are under 3 years old. Looks like MSC are bringing you inline with everyone else.

My kids sailed for free last month in the Mediterranean. That’s a big reason why we were able to afford the accommodations that we chose. Are you saying that in the Med they normally pay regular fare? 

3 hours ago, sidari said:

Tapi ... Kids from Europe do not sail Free!

Oh, I wasn’t aware that MSC didn’t extend this promotion if not booked from the USA. That’s a bummer. 

6 hours ago, Tapi said:

Oh, I wasn’t aware that MSC didn’t extend this promotion if not booked from the USA. That’s a bummer. 

MSC offer (very) different promotions in different markets.  Some of the best are available in the US as that's where MSC is focussing on growing it's share of that market.  Up to about 3 years ago, we were seeing similar, very attractive promotions.  That's all changed, now.

• Like 1

It's funny... ten years ago the Subway sandwich restaurant chain had an incredible "$5 Footlong" deal here in the USA. (Not sure if they did that in other countries.) Anyway, we used to go there all the time. It was a great value. Well, they don't do that anymore, and we don't go there anymore! I've been on 7 cruises with another one scheduled... The last two were with MSC and the one coming up is with MSC. All three MSC cruises were made possible because of the Kids Cruise Free (or deep discounted) offer. (Yes, I know taxes and port fees are still charged.) So, yeah, deals come and go, unfortunately. BUT hopefully with with the way the industry is trending, and with so many companies investing in more, newer, bigger ships, there will eventually be a market over-saturation and they will really have to start competing again, which could bring back the big discounts for kids.

I have a June 2019 sailing on the Seview, and my kids are free other than $98pp taxes.  I booked this in May 2018.  If I do a mock booking for the same sailing today, the kids rate is $279 + tax.  It's been my observation that MSC is not offering kids sail free on as many sailings add they used to.  

MSC used to be exceptionally inclusive with regards to families with kids, but some 2 years ago they started to lay down that inclusiveness... And for good reasons. Nowadays I don't cruise at peak summer season any more... But when I did a few years ago it was common to see unsupervised kids taking the "reign" of the ship everywhere else, impacting negatively the experience of the other guests... One might think that it is now time for the just to pay on behalf of the sinner... But at certain point me thinks that adults going by themselves don't need or want to subsidize the other guests kids trip. At best, a 3rd and 4th berth good discount is generally acceptable.

By the way, as Bea very well pointed out, MSC sells on different ways according to the different markets. Promos come and go and they might very well to start something that on one or another way might to be interesting for you and for many where you live.

Have a nice day!...

Edited by Nunagoras

1 hour ago, staceyeileen said:

I have a June 2019 sailing on the Seview, and my kids are free other than $98pp taxes.  I booked this in May 2018.  If I do a mock booking for the same sailing today, the kids rate is $279 + tax.  It's been my observation that MSC is not offering kids sail free on as many sailings add they used to.  

When did you book, Stacey?  My sailing is May 2019 on the Seaview, and my kids are not free, but rather $120 plus the $98 taxes for a total of $218.  I wonder if I had booked earlier whether they would have been free.  I booked in July 2018.

I think the fares for my sailing have increased in general, but kids fares now appear to be $257 including the taxes so an increase of $39.  

Edited by kodesthemoose

2 hours ago, kodesthemoose said:

When did you book, Stacey?  My sailing is May 2019 on the Seaview, and my kids are not free, but rather $120 plus the $98 taxes for a total of $218.  I wonder if I had booked earlier whether they would have been free.  I booked in July 2018.

I booked in may 2018.  

Edited by staceyeileen
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My 14 yr old and 8 yr old are free on Armonia for May 2019. But we booked several months ago and I know that promo is no longer available. I am interested in Seaside for 2020 but like the original poster, do not see a kids sail free option. 

• 2 weeks later...

We have a Dec 21-26  2019 cruise on Magnifica and our 14 year old was free and we didn't have to pay any taxes on his fare or ours, all three of us for 330 euros all in!!! Not sure how I managed to get it, there must have been some sort of error, but we have paid in full and are locked in now.

Edited by redspain