Taking on soda

minniegidget

I know you can put a luggage tag on water give it to a porter and it will be taken to your room. What about a case of soda or bottle soda? 

I have been sailing since 1991 with many cruise lines Disney- Royal- Holland- Carnival- NCL. I’m sailing for the 1st time with Princess in Dec on the Regal. I was upgraded yesterday from an inside forward cabin to  obstructed  Balcony. A  category  DW. Cabin E619.  Very close to the laundry room. Want to 1st say i’m Very pleased but just a little worried about the noise. Looks like we are under the Wheelhouse Bar. Someone said the port days she could hear a lot of noise. 

Anyone ever stayed in these rooms? What can you tell me about it. 

8 minutes ago, minniegidget said:

I know you can put a luggage tag on water give it to a porter and it will be taken to your room. What about a case of soda or bottle soda? 

I can't find it, but we were told that any beverages we bring onboard must be carried on.  Not checked through like baggage.

We just took 2 12 packs of soda onboard (hand carried) on our recent cruise.

The big problem with soda being given to the porters and not carried on is the way it's handled.  Water isn't carbonated soda is.  I wouldn't want to open a can after the dock workers and ship porters handled it.  Highly recommend you carry it on.  No glass only cans allowed.

12 can "box" is reinforced, duct tape all 12 edges as well as create a"handle". I could get two boxes and tape together, but no need. Most ports offer nearby stores to carry on more during cruise. Next cruise is Alaska, first stop Ketchikan. Store within 600 feet of dock. 

Side note. One cruise somebody brought a case of water that had shrink wrapped plastic. Steward had left in front of cabin on top of bags. Passing pax had helped themselves to about half the bottles. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, minniegidget said:

No problem.

I have been sailing since 1991 with many cruise lines Disney- Royal- Holland- Carnival- NCL. I’m sailing for the 1st time with Princess in Dec on the Regal. I was upgraded yesterday from an inside forward cabin to  obstructed  Balcony. A  category  DW. Cabin E619.  Very close to the laundry room. Want to 1st say i’m Very pleased but just a little worried about the noise. Looks like we are under the Wheelhouse Bar.  You should not be hearing any noise from the laundry room. By the way, you are over, not under, the Wheelhouse Bar.

2 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

I can't find it, but we were told that any beverages we bring onboard must be carried on.  Not checked through like baggage.

Wine needs to be carried on. Non-alcoholic beverages do not.

see above in red.

9 hours ago, franktown said:

The big problem with soda being given to the porters and not carried on is the way it's handled.  Water isn't carbonated soda is.  I wouldn't want to open a can after the dock workers and ship porters handled it.  Highly recommend you carry it on.  No glass only cans allowed.

While agree cans are the smart way to go there is no prohibition in bringing non-alcoholic beverages in glass bottles.

• Like 1

I would not trust soda to be delivered by porters bc soda explodes when shaken or jostled.  I've been known to pack cans in my carry-on with wheels, but usually just take the easy way out and buy the soda package.  If you do plan to pack in your own in your carry-on, I found many more cans will fit when taken out of the original packaging.

We're on the CB for 3 cruises (38 days) so we brought on 4 cases of canned soda. We put it in a rolling suitcase and put a luggage tag on it. We experienced no problems at all - the suitcase and it's contents arrived unharmed and perfectly drinkable.

13 hours ago, GloriaF said:

I would not trust soda to be delivered by porters bc soda explodes when shaken or jostled.  I've been known to pack cans in my carry-on with wheels, but usually just take the easy way out and buy the soda package.  If you do plan to pack in your own in your carry-on, I found many more cans will fit when taken out of the original packaging.

To many there is a big difference in taste between soda from a "gun" at a bar and soda from a can.

Also, many bring soda on board because their favorite brand is not available on Princess. If you prefer Pepsi products, buying the soda package is not an easy way out.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

We put 2 12 packs in a yoga bag, , attached a luggage tag and gave it to the porters in LA along with our other luggage last September on Star.  The soda arrived at our cabin just fine, loaded it into the fridge and DH was able to enjoy his Pepsi.  Bonus, because we put it in a bag we didn't have cardboard cartons to discard on board and we had an extra carry on size bag if we needed it to go home.

On 12/9/2018 at 11:35 PM, caribill said:

To many there is a big difference in taste between soda from a "gun" at a bar and soda from a can.

Also, many bring soda on board because their favorite brand is not available on Princess. If you prefer Pepsi products, buying the soda package is not an easy way out.

And ... there is NO decaf sugar-free options in the soda package ... would make life much easier it there was ....

4 hours ago, MauiLvrs said:

And ... there is NO decaf sugar-free options in the soda package ... would make life much easier it there was ....

That's what we've been figuring out how to work around; we're able to buy diet tonic water where we live and that's what I'd like to be able to purchase somewhere in San Pedro and bring aboard.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2018 at 9:36 PM, minniegidget said:

I have been sailing since 1991 with many cruise lines Disney- Royal- Holland- Carnival- NCL. I’m sailing for the 1st time with Princess in Dec on the Regal. I was upgraded yesterday from an inside forward cabin to  obstructed  Balcony. A  category  DW. Cabin E619.  Very close to the laundry room. Want to 1st say i’m Very pleased but just a little worried about the noise. Looks like we are under the Wheelhouse Bar. Someone said the port days she could hear a lot of noise. 

If you are worried about noise, check to see what other cabins are open in the DW cat.  Call and ask to be changed to one of them.

On 12/8/2018 at 4:36 PM, minniegidget said:

Don't worry about the laundry room. You can't hear anything from it. Plus it has restricted hours...something like 8 AM til 10 PM.

13 hours ago, ams1130 said:

That's what we've been figuring out how to work around; we're able to buy diet tonic water where we live and that's what I'd like to be able to purchase somewhere in San Pedro and bring aboard.

On S. Gaffey St. there is Rite Aid, CVS, and Vons grocery store. We were just there and did not remember seeing any stores close to the pier, or hotel. 

• Like 1