Need to login every day

Hi CC!

I am used that when logging in, my browser sets a cookie and I will be logged in from then for a certain amount of time (weeks). Now I have to login every day it seems or at least a lot more often. It seems like the session cookie is only set to some hours instead of days/weeks.

Can you please change that again back to how it was - or is it just me having this issue?

Thanks,

Tom

OK - I only ask as there is/ or has been a bit of a problem in switching from uk to com  - if you are or maybe were logged into .com then you would not be logged into .co.uk so you could not reply in roll calls and would need to log in again. Similarly if you received an email notification relating to a post made by someone logged into the uk site the "go to this post" link would be to .co.uk and if you were logged into.com it came up with "you are not authorised. . . . . "

So another thing is to check that your cookies are not cleared when you leave your browser. and that if you are logged in and dont use the site for 20/30 minutes it auto logs off BUT  when you revisit should log you back in can take half a minute or so.

Maybe go for a restart -  log off- close any open cc pages- clear cookies for cruisecritic and Invision  the log in by pasting or typing boards.cruisecritic.com  in you browser.   IF the problem perstists email

help@cruisecritic.com

Edited by Aulanis

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

I have to log in multiple times a day and on every device I use. Clearing cookies did help but no way I’m doing that every single day. 

do not clear  your cookies    & see what happens

Make sure your browser  is  set to not clear them when you close the browser

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

do not clear  your cookies    & see what happens

Make sure your browser  is  set to not clear them when you close the browser

Im not clearing cookies now, just did the one time when that was the suggested fix a few days ago. I was logged in this morning when I did that post and just had to log in again to respond to your reply. 

26 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Im not clearing cookies now, just did the one time when that was the suggested fix a few days ago. I was logged in this morning when I did that post and just had to log in again to respond to your reply. 

did you check your browser settings to see if the cookies are cleared  when you close the browser?

What device & browser are you using?

This issue only occurs with cruise critic and I’m ‘remembered’ in every other website where I need to log in so I know it’s working properly. Currently Im using either chrome or safari on both iPad and iPhone. Same issue. 

Do you log into boards.cruisecritic.COM  or boards.cruisecritic.AU

If you look at posts/roll calls on both sites you will have to log in

when you change sites.  Same if you follow email links this is the same

problem as mentioned above regarding the UK.

In my case, I have to login any time I restart my browser (FireFox & Chrome on the PC.) My mobile browser do the double page load and log me in. It's not the cookie, because the cookie is there. I used to have the same problem on the old version of the boards, so I just consider it a cost of doing business now.

On 12/9/2018 at 5:05 AM, UniPac said:

Hi CC!

I am used that when logging in, my browser sets a cookie and I will be logged in from then for a certain amount of time (weeks). Now I have to login every day it seems or at least a lot more often. It seems like the session cookie is only set to some hours instead of days/weeks.

Can you please change that again back to how it was - or is it just me having this issue?

Thanks,

Tom

When one logs into CC the website attempts to save a cookie that will "keep one logged in." However, if one is using a private/incognito browser window, or one has disabled the keeping of cookies in general or for a particular website, or one has instructed the browser to discard website data on exit the cookie will not be saved across sessions.

I'm not familiar with the particulars of the relatively new EU policies affecting cookie storage and browser implementation of such. Is it possible that you have not explicitly given your browser permission to store cookies or other data for the CC website?

I did the following in Google Chrome on my MacBook Pro running macOS Mojave which seems to be working:

Sign out of CC in Chrome

Close and restart Chrome

Copy and paste the following in the address bar:  chrome://settings/content/cookies

Press enter

Click on Add on the line opposite Allow

Copy and paste the following in the Add a site window:  [*.]cruisecritic.com

Click on the Add button and close Chrome.

Reopen Chrome, go to CC and enter your login.  Navigate CC a bit, then close Chrome.  Restart Chrome, go to CC...hopefully you'll have the same experience I had and you will not be required to login again. 

On 12/13/2018 at 4:26 AM, -Lew- said:

I did the following in Google Chrome on my MacBook Pro running macOS Mojave which seems to be working:

Sign out of CC in Chrome

Close and restart Chrome

Copy and paste the following in the address bar:  chrome://settings/content/cookies

Press enter

Click on Add on the line opposite Allow

Copy and paste the following in the Add a site window:  [*.]cruisecritic.com

Click on the Add button and close Chrome.

Reopen Chrome, go to CC and enter your login.  Navigate CC a bit, then close Chrome.  Restart Chrome, go to CC...hopefully you'll have the same experience I had and you will not be required to login again. 

Its crazy we have to do this for a forum these days. Can’t inagine having to do this on an iPhone. I just don’t come here so often now. 

On 12/10/2018 at 6:47 AM, Pushka said:

This issue only occurs with cruise critic and I’m ‘remembered’ in every other website where I need to log in so I know it’s working properly.

Even on CC, the automatic login was generally working for most people until a week or so ago - and most people could actually see it working because it took several seconds. Let's see if this weekend's update fixes the problem.

29 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

Even on CC, the automatic login was generally working for most people until a week or so ago - and most people could actually see it working because it took several seconds. Let's see if this weekend's update fixes the problem.

Yes. That’s true. It was cycling on log in log out and then an earlier issue was it was logging out then in every time a different forum was selected. Fingers crossed. 

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, floatel_lvr said:

This happens way too frequently.  Why can't this site stay logged in.  As others have stated, this is the ONLY site I have to constantly log back into.

I believe that the site uses a cookie to keep track of user login info. If the browser does not allow saving of this cookie or removes it when closed, you will not stay logged in. This can be the case if one uses an incognito/private browser session or as a result of browser settings.

18 minutes ago, broberts said:

I believe that the site uses a cookie to keep track of user login info. If the browser does not allow saving of this cookie or removes it when closed, you will not stay logged in. This can be the case if one uses an incognito/private browser session or as a result of browser settings.

I do not delete cookies unless I do this manually as part of system maintenance.  Other sites use cookies too and those behave normally.  This is now (since the recent redesign) the most finicky site I have ever used.

7 minutes ago, floatel_lvr said:

I do not delete cookies unless I do this manually as part of system maintenance.  Other sites use cookies too and those behave normally.  This is now (since the recent redesign) the most finicky site I have ever used.

I know that it is possible to control cookie behavior for particular websites in Chrome, see chrome://settings/content/cookies. Presumably that feature exists in other popular browsers.

11 minutes ago, broberts said:

I know that it is possible to control cookie behavior for particular websites in Chrome, see chrome://settings/content/cookies. Presumably that feature exists in other popular browsers.

Doesn't the mere fact that people need to "manually" fiddle with these settings to get the site to behave like every other website seem a bit troubling to you?  This is not a banking site... Then again, my bank's website recognizes me when I access it.

But thank you for the suggestions.

Edited by floatel_lvr

4 hours ago, floatel_lvr said:

Doesn't the mere fact that people need to "manually" fiddle with these settings to get the site to behave like every other website seem a bit troubling to you?  This is not a banking site... Then again, my bank's website recognizes me when I access it.

But thank you for the suggestions.

It doesn't trouble me in the least since the website typically works with browser default settings. I only mention controlling cookies for the website on the off chance that for some reason your site settings are different. In other words the behavior you describe is not the norm.

59 minutes ago, broberts said:

It doesn't trouble me in the least since the website typically works with browser default settings. I only mention controlling cookies for the website on the off chance that for some reason your site settings are different. In other words the behavior you describe is not the norm.

Seems odd that you think so.  I see many others posting (over the past few months) the same issue in the Royal board many times? Also on the Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle board?

Seems odd that you think so.  I see many others posting (over the past few months) the same issue in the Royal board many times? Also on the Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle board?

What web browser are you using?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk