How long to disembark in Miami

amber1002

Could anyone tell me what time I would need to allow for disembarkation in Miami. 

Do do you need to go through immigration and customs at the terminal?

Need to book a private transfer to Miami airport and as we have a 2 pm flight I want to disembark as late as possible. Can anyone suggest best time to book the transfer?

Grateful for any input.

yes  to immigration

We  normally get off about 9 am  they want you off  by  then anyway  & everything is shut down on the ship

I usually book the car service for about 9 am   or 9 15

you will be  at MIA in about 20 mins on a good day

Most seasoned cruisers will advise not booking a plane out of MIA before 11:30, but better not before noon.

There are entire threads on this subject in the Cruise Air Forums here on CC. Lots of horror stories from those that ignored that advice and then found themselves stuck in immigrations until 10:00 or so!

4 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Most seasoned cruisers will advise not booking a plane out of MIA before 11:30, but better not before noon.

Their flight is  at 2 pm  should be  fairly safe 

• Like 1

I will add   depending on the airline  I would check your bags  as soon as you can & get through security

last year it took us 1 hour  through the security line & we were  in Bus class  .

If you get lounge access  you can rest up until boarding time

3 hours ago, amber1002 said:

Could anyone tell me what time I would need to allow for disembarkation in Miami. 

Do do you need to go through immigration and customs at the terminal?

Need to book a private transfer to Miami airport and as we have a 2 pm flight I want to disembark as late as possible. Can anyone suggest best time to book the transfer?

Grateful for any input.

Basically, you need to be permanently out of your cabin by 9:00 at the very latest, and then off of the ship very soon thereafter.  Lingering is not encouraged or permitted.  

20 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I will add   depending on the airline  I would check your bags  as soon as you can & get through security

last year it took us 1 hour  through the security line & we were  in Bus class  .

If you get lounge access  you can rest up until boarding time

Both security and baggage check can be a nightmare at MIA.  Often there are 4 or 5 large cruise ships disembarking at about the same time, all arriving at the airport together.  One hour in the security line is not unusual. We have spent an hour in each of baggage and then security.  So, go early and, if possible get a lounge pass.

36 minutes ago, robbie21 said:

Both security and baggage check can be a nightmare at MIA.  Often there are 4 or 5 large cruise ships disembarking at about the same time, all arriving at the airport together.  One hour in the security line is not unusual. We have spent an hour in each of baggage and then security.  So, go early and, if possible get a lounge pass.

Last year  we were on AA  & I was  shocked at the line ups for security

we usually fly A/C   out of Term  J ..no crowds  or big  security lines

so guess  we will stick with A/C  😉

57 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Last year  we were on AA  & I was  shocked at the line ups for security

we usually fly A/C   out of Term  J ..no crowds  or big  security lines

so guess  we will stick with A/C  😉

That makes sense as MIA is a major hub for AA - hence AA terminal is very busy.

Thank you for the information. I know you have to leave the ship by 9 am. I just wondered if you go through passport control at the cruise terminal in Miami? 

Will take advice given here especially as we have access to lounge at airport.

thanks again to everyone who offered advice 

1 hour ago, amber1002 said:

Thank you for the information. I know you have to leave the ship by 9 am. I just wondered if you go through passport control at the cruise terminal in Miami? 

Will take advice given here especially as we have access to lounge at airport.

thanks again to everyone who offered advice 

Passport control is in the terminal before you can get out.   Usually does not take very long.  

4 hours ago, StanandJim said:

Basically, you need to be permanently out of your cabin by 9:00 at the very latest, and then off of the ship very soon thereafter.  Lingering is not encouraged or permitted.  

Actually it's 8am now

When we disembarked Riviera on Nov 27, instructions were:

--out of the room by 8

--people with carryons could go whenever

--people who put out bags the night before should wait for their colour to be called

--everyone to be off by 9

There was a delay in clearing the luggage, and the first people were let off around 8:45-8:50.

Our colour group was called at 9:30.

A hash was made of the disembarkation with an accident on the gangway. We got off shortly after 10. 

Bags ready. Customs and Border Patrol was less than 2 minutes. 

In a cab at 10:15. 

If we'd had a flight before 12:30/1 we'd have been cooked.

Govern yourself accordingly.

• 2 weeks later...

Just off Sirena in POM on 12/10.

Had 8:30 disembarkation. Off on time, picked up checked luggage, through customs, in taxi, at MIA airport, dropped off luggage, through security (had TSA precheck) and at gate. All in about 50 minutes. Could not have done it faster - no traffic, no lines. Had 2 pm flight so lots of waiting at airport, but earlier flight was 11:05 and we would not have chanced it.

POM immigration is a wave through and a welcome back.  We’ve never encountered delays. 

Miami airport is always busy, especially the AA terminal.  We always have TSA precheck and breeze through security but the regular line is massive.   AA has 60 gates and the walk can be long, depending on your gate assignment.  

We’ve made 11:30 flights, via taxi.  Always anxious to get home so we book noonish flights. 

Good to know that the last few posters had no problems.

I would caution future cruises not to assume for this to be the case each time and book your flights with that in mind. There are a number of horror stories about disembarkation in Miami for any number of reason. I know because we were part of one of those horror stories.

Caveat emptor!

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

Our last cruise we arrived in MIA and disembarked within minutes only to get to the airport (AA) to utter confusion. DH almost missed the flight and he was being transported by wheelchair. Our flight was a later flight but they do not transport you via chair until near takeoff. You are herded into a "holding cell" with at least 25 other folks. This has happened to us both times we flew out of MIA. Thus for our next cruise we will fly out of FLL.....so much better.

We arrive in Miami on the final leg of the ATW next year.  Do we have additional immigration (being Australian) to go through in Miami?  I imagine the disembarkation will be pretty full on with everyone leaving, but I presume the ship wants us off asap.

I'm thinking about booking a flight from FLL leaving at 1pm - our other option is 6am from MIA the next day.  Is this doable without major stress?  many thanks

Edited by HilsTas

I’d take a more relaxing early afternoon flight out of MIA, then either catch the Qantas nonstop out of DFW ~ 7:30pm or fly to Los Angeles for the Qantas flight there. If an overnight was required, I’d do it in one of those cities so to break the long journey.