Live from Mariner of the Seas December 17,2018

Making plans to do a live blog from the Mariner of the Seas next week.  I booked this cruise about a year ago as a Surprise for my mother's 64th Birthday which is also on December 17th.  She still does not yet know about this cruise.  We are surprising her this Thrusday, the 13th of December at dinner.  6 girls and the last time we all were together in the same room was 14 years ago on mom's 50th Birthday.  So, hoping all works out and she is surprised about all of us being together for dinner, and then surprised with her vacation gift.  Even more surprises when she learns her husband is also going on the cruise.  He has never flown, and has never cruised so this is fun.     My sister Erica, and her fiance are also going, first time cruisers and first time flying.  Then myself, my husband, and my 15 year old daughter also.    I am booked on the 12th deck by the Spa in one of the new Panoramic Oceanview rooms, excited about that.  My sister has a balcony on deck 9, and my mom has an inside across from my sister.   Praying all goes well as we are (gasp) flying down the morning of the cruise, ....AND (on Spirit airlines) I know, I know, it's some stressful stuff.  But I am working Sunday until 6P so we couldn't fly out Sunday night. 😞  Yes, I have the insurance, but would rather have a vacation.   Flight is scheduled to land in Ft. Lauderdale at 8:30A.M and we have reservations with Quality Limo Services ($80 one way).   In Nassau, my family and I are doing the Atlantis since we have a full day from 8A to 12A in Nassau well worth the day.  We booked through BahamasDayPass for $135 each.  In Coco Cay, my daughter is hoping that we can go Parasailing.  I've seen where the Mariner hasn't been able to Tender at that port the last week so that may or may not happen.   We are still undecided on what to do in Miami after our cruise.  Flight out of Ft. Lauderdale is at 8:00P.M so I'll need to figure that out.  

Fair warning to those that want to follow along.  I type A LOT and I do not like abbreviating.  I'm not a complainer and like to find the best in everything.  Hoping to share lots of photos and those that are counting down to their own sailing, can follow along to build the excitement :) 

• Like 1

Last night's Surprise dinner went well.  Sadly one sister did not make it.  All us sisters live just 30 minutes apart and the last time we All made it together was 14 years ago for my moms 50th Birthday.   Mom was very surprised to see us all for dinner, lots of tears and hugs.  She was super excited about the cruise.  My step dad Rod who has never flown or cruised before is getting very nervous about the trip.  Some photos of my mom opening her gift, photo of me and mom, and my crazy cooky sister JoJo who is also taking her first flight and going on her first cruise.  She is very excited.   Got everyone checked in, APP downloaded, and printed out our Set Sail passes.  

IMG_6249.JPG

IMG_6247.JPG

IMG_6207.JPG

IMG_6238.JPG

• Like 1

What a wonderful gift you are giving your Mom! Great pictures.  I can't wait to follow along.  I will be sailing the same itinerary in May but on Navigator of the Seas and am very interested in hearing about Atlantis and Coco Cay!  Best of luck with your flights, I think you will be fine!  Happy Cruising!!

• Like 1

So very happy for you all.  I too did the same surprise for my mom when she hit 80.  Out of 9 children, only 2 of us went.  Too expensive, can't get off work; I heard them all.  She passed a few years ago and some express sadness that they didn't go with us.  I'm happy you all decided to go.

Also, I too am on the Mariner the day you get off for a quick weekend cruise.  Can't wait to follow along and hear about all of your adventures.  Have a blast and say Happy Birthday to Mom  🙂

• Like 1

Made it to Columbus airport.  Checked in and ready to board our flight to Ft Lauderdale.  My daughter Lydia found a Rubber Duck to bring along with us for “cruising with ducks”.  Ended up having 1 checked bag.  This is the first time I have ever flown Spirit Airlines. Checking in 1 bag took almost an hour 😕 

E0A66BFD-8C4B-4D2D-BEE8-AC44E414CD3A.jpeg

The transfer from FLL to Miami port for us there, that is all I will say about that. Check in at the port was fast but boarding was a little  Staggard and I couldn’t hear the announcer. One thing I learned about port security.  If you wear boots such as Work Boots or cowboy boots they will ask you to remove them to go through security and the boots go on the scanner.    Boarding room was large and loud, no need to rush here before 11:30am boarding time.  Keep your boarding pass until you get to your room and then they Seapass Room Key is in a sealed envelope at your door.  Rooms not ready until 1:30pm. So the ship can be a little crowded and overwhelming.  We found a nice quiet area on deck 12 behind the Movie screen to just chill.  Bought some drinks and just enjoyed some people watching.  

4AE7635F-9C0F-464A-AEFE-1A35CDB3F3AA.jpeg