Koningsdam Aft Facing Balcony Cat VS

EMc&DrS

We have had several aft facing balconies on other cruise lines, but are new to HAL.  The ones we've enjoyed were "wrap around" balconies on the corners of ships.  The one time we had an aft facing balcony that wasn't on a corner, it would get very hot on our balcony with very little air movement making it too uncomfortable to sit out for more than a few minutes.

There are some aft facing category VS rooms still available on our upcoming Koningsdam cruise, but they are not on a corner because those rooms are suites.  We were wondering if anyone has stayed in one of these VS category rooms and could comment about whether the balcony was enjoyable, or too hot and stuffy like we experienced on another cruise line?  

19 minutes ago, westcoastcruiser said:

I think it depends on where you are sailing.  They are protected from the wind so if the sun is beating down in the direction of your balcony and there is no overhang, it can be warm.  We try to get one that is partially covered.  

Eastern Caribbean in January.  The VS next to the corner suite is available as well as the one next to that.

I am currently in 7191, next to the corner wrap balcony.  It is awesome!  Unless the sun is bearing down on this part of the ship, the balcony is not hot.  We stayed on the ship yesterday in St Lucia and enjoyed the balcony all day.  The balcony above covers almost all of ours, so we can stay out there even with the random showers.

This cabin became available 4 weeks out and we snatched it up.  I would book this again in a heartbeat.

Lisa

949D0226-21E4-49AA-A434-ED51102D0E7B.jpeg

7D6587FC-FAFB-4BFD-9D34-CF429096E1EB.jpeg

9CD01349-5A34-409E-93C4-B03AD356D402.jpeg

• 2 months later...
On 12/10/2018 at 2:29 PM, wldflr said:

We are booked on the K-dam in January in VS5221 - our first aft cabin also. Hoping for no issues!

We've been offered an upset for this cabin. How did you like it?

With very rare exceptions, I cruise only in aft-facing staterooms.  The view of both sides of the ship, no foot traffic, the sound of the wake to make sleeping so wonderful, I can stay on my balcony while others fight for spots at the railings on the aft Lido Deck, and Room Service food is hot since it is so close to the kitchen. 

Crew News is making me anxious to go on our April cruise on the Rotterdam.  We have an aft facing cabin largely because many posters here have said how much they enjoy them.  We did enjoy viewing the wake while dining on our last cruise.  Hoping for a most wonderful experience!

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/29/2019 at 2:55 PM, Kfrech said:

I have 5221 booked for an Alaskan cruise in June. For those of you who've sailed in this particular cabin, can you share your experience?

Hi! Sorry to revive this post but I'm brooked at the end of May and am trying to decide between the aft facing vista suite on 4 or the regular aft facing verandah on 5. Trying to figure out the difference, if there even is one!

On 2/12/2020 at 8:02 AM, VMax1700 said:

Here are pics of 4221 which is a Aft facing Vista Suite.

https://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/4221-koningsdam/

Thank you so much for your response! I did see that room but can't seem to find the difference between that room and the aft facing VS rooms on 5 and 6. They appear to be the same, with the exception of the price and I can't figure out why. Kinda bummed to pay for a "suite" on 4 when the same cabin class on 7 has a much larger balcony, or at least appears that way from the posters pics above. 

6 hours ago, Snowerin999 said:

Thank you so much for your response! I did see that room but can't seem to find the difference between that room and the aft facing VS rooms on 5 and 6. They appear to be the same, with the exception of the price and I can't figure out why. Kinda bummed to pay for a "suite" on 4 when the same cabin class on 7 has a much larger balcony, or at least appears that way from the posters pics above. 

Deck 4 and 7 Aft facing are Vista Suites category AS.  (double mariner points, slightly larger, binoculars, slightly larger bathrooms)

Decks 5, 6, and 8 Aft facing are Veranda rooms category VS, standard veranda amenities.

I am not aware of any other differences.

I just wanted to update those who may be looking into these staterooms. I called HA and they gave me the actual sq footage of the room and balcony for the aft facing vista suites and aft facing verandah rooms along with the extended balcony rooms on deck 4. There is a difference in these rooms. Now I see why the higher decks book faster. The regular verandah rooms on deck 8 aren't much smaller than the vista suites but have much larger balconies than on deck 4. Hope this helps someone 🙂

Aft Vista Suites:

4190/4217

224 room

59 balcony

4213/4186

212 room

4194/4221

Verandah Aft:

209 room

59 balcony

5219/5198

232 room