Bag Weights to Measure Up

njguy_south

Just a bit of a rant:  As you may know, Cunard has a weight limit on individual luggage.  I find the limits a bit strange, especially when considering that one is expected to be "properly dressed" on Cunard -- and for men that includes jackets and suits.  And for a 2-week cruise or crossing, the weight limit can be deadly.  (And then you add the famous "balls," and you get where I am headed.

Cunard Limits: 20 kg or 44 lbs.

Airline (most coach): 23 kg or 50 lbs.

Airline (most Business Class): 31 kg or 70 lbs.

Interesting that Cunard's limit is LESS than the airline that you fly on to meet the ship!  I can see a huge bag, but modern cases, on wheels?  It is not like one is traveling with a steamer trunk that weighs 100 lbs -- although with the amount of clothing Cunard expects one to wear on an average 2 week cruise ...

Saw a similar rant for National Express bus line (bus from Heathrow to Southampton). They are consistent with weight limitations. Must be a British labour thing.

Just maximize your free airline carry on allowance....or free second bag.

I assume you are looking at your e-tickets and seeing the 20kg bag weight limit there. Cunard does not actually impose a 20kg weight limit on bags. That may be stated that way on the e-tickets to cover situations with some charter flights or coaches that might impose a 20kg limit. In fact, on the Cunard UK FAQ, here is part of what they say in the answer to the question "How much luggage can I bring with me?"

"Weight Restrictions

Each case may weigh a maximum of 23kg due to health and safety reasons."

Edited by bluemarble

It is down to Health and Safety rules for baggage handlers that no suitcase should weigh no more than 23kg. I have flown either to or return from Caribbean, New York numerous times and never had any problem whatsoever taking a Tuxedo suit and accompanying formal attire and normal suits without any problems or exceeding 23kg.

I didn’t see anywhere that Cunard weighed my luggage when I checked in.  It’s probably on of those things no one pays much attention unless you wave the policy under someone’s nose.  

Personally, I reserve my rants for the shower.  😁

• Like 1

As with all such policies, Cunard appears to be somewhat casual about enforcement, yet reserves the right to apply the rules when they deem necessary..
There are legitimate OSH reasons for weight limits on bags that must be handled, so it behooves passengers not to abuse the privilege.

A bag weighing 24kg won't likely be refused, but if anybody shows up with seriously overweight luggage, then they should probably check their sense of entitlement and make alternate plans.

tumblr_nqiu6kIdsl1sa04cso1_500.jpg

We use common sense and courtesy.........we self-disembark so common sense says 2 light bags are more manageable that one heavy one each. Courtesy for our limo driver and all the other handlers including my old back says 2 light bags are easier than one heavy  

I don't pack light. And the longer I travel, the more I tend to take, within reason.  I have seen people trying to self-disembark with awful results. And I have met people who brag they only take one small, wheeled carry-on -- that not even my underwear would fit into.  (Such light packers must hog the few free washers/dryers onboard.)

I don't believe fitting within guidelines, even to the upper limits, is discourteous.  I just feel that Cunard's stated policy should match airline policy.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, njguy_south said:

... I just feel that Cunard's stated policy should match airline policy.

I guess it comes down to what one considers to be Cunard's stated policy. As I see it, there is no consistent stated policy from Cunard.

On the one hand, the e-tickets state the weight limit is "20kg per bag" and the luggage labels you print yourself from the voyage personaliser state "20kg limit per item".

On the other hand, as I mentioned previously, the Cunard UK FAQ states the weight limit is 23kg per item. Also, the pre-voyage documents sent out by Cunard state "No individual piece of luggage can exceed 23kg (50lb)." And the pre-printed luggage labels supplied in the pre-voyage documents have "23kg limit" printed on them.

So, I think we can conclude Cunard is inconsistent in what they state for the luggage weight limit. Considering this mixed message, the higher 23kg limit stated by Cunard in several places is in line with coach class weight limits of most airlines.

Thankfully, nobody has ever weighed our cases in over 20 trips.

There is n urban myth in the UK that it is against H & S laws to lift more than 25kg. That's actually nonsense.

There is however, guidance, stating that it might not be a good idea to lift more than 25kg without mechanical handling equipment.

There's a big difference between CARRYING 25kg+ and lifting/sliding it on to a barrow or trolley (which they do).

Flour and cement used to come in 1 cwt (112 lb) bags and somehow, we seemed to manage.

Stewart

4 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Thankfully, nobody has ever weighed our cases in over 20 trips.

There is n urban myth in the UK that it is against H & S laws to lift more than 25kg. That's actually nonsense.

There is however, guidance, stating that it might not be a good idea to lift more than 25kg without mechanical handling equipment.

There's a big difference between CARRYING 25kg+ and lifting/sliding it on to a barrow or trolley (which they do).

Flour and cement used to come in 1 cwt (112 lb) bags and somehow, we seemed to manage.

Stewart

While it might not be law the following statement is from HSE government website-

"Current industry recommendations in the IATA Airport Handling Manual are that the maximum weight of any single piece of checked baggage should not exceed 23kg (50lbs), without prior arrangement."

This has been widely accepted in also other means of transport i.e. coach, trains and cruise ships and has been agreed between the employers and the unions of workers involved with lifting baggage and suitcases. SO IT IS NOT AN URBAN MYTH AND NOT NONSENSE.

Edited by majortom10

Every time I travel with Cunard, I send a 50lb suitcase with my formal clothing and shoes and other items with White Star Luggage. Because I pay Cunard for this service, where by the way you can take as much as you want, as long as you are willing to pay for it, I expect that it will be handled by Cunard. The suitcase is not a steamer trunk, just a large suitcase. I roll on an airline compliant roll aboard and a carry a briefcase. Those Items with the well priced on board laundry service have been good enough to get me through a 16 day cruise in style in the past. I have never had a comment from Cunard about the weight of my luggage. 

• Like 1

We travelled on qm2 this summer, received our large case after embankment with missing wheel, made it really awkward for getting off and on to next ship then airport at the end...that one got thrown out. They broke another one on Saturday as we disembarked in nyc, cracked the case and broke a wheel, and we had another broken in 2011, they do not cover any damage...so far 3, as far as I know they were within the limit, so I feel not so much how much they weigh , but the problem can be how they load, stack and unload luggage 

Edited by Radar boomer
Typo

They just don't make luggage like they used to. I have two nearly identical Hartmann roll aboards, one twenty years old and bunged up, but it still has its wheels. I have a newer one about 4 years old and returning from London in September found a broken wheel for the second time. This was thanks to BA not Cunard. Fortunately Hartmann have lifetime guarantees, but it means sending it to have it repaired, or dropping it off at a 'local' repair shop with a 60 mile round trip. I inherited my dad's 50 Halliburton Aluminum cases, but they are from an era where airports had porters to carry the bags so no wheels. Some time you just cannot win. 

When I lived in the UK, and drive down to Southampton, my cases were usually heavier than permitted, but never had a problem.

Now I live in FL, and have to fly to/from a Cunard port, I have to comply with the airline cattle class limits.

I've only flown once Upper Class, and the check in bag limit was 30Kg per case.  They did put a 'Heavy Item' tag on it though.  Would Cunard insist their Grills suites passengers have the same baggage restrictions as the rest of us?