Hotels near HOU (hobby) airport??

Paula B

We have never sailed Royal Caribbean out of Galveston. We are flying in the night before and could not get a pre-cruise package from them out of HOU.

So we will be needing to find a hotel to stay Saturday night and go back to the airport the next morning to get our transfer to the ship. Like I said we do not

know the area and will becoming in around 8pm and just looking for a descent place to stay with our grandkids.

Thank you all in advance,

Paula B

The airport isn't in the greatest area (understatement). There are all of the usual suspects in the area,  just do a search on Priceline or whatever site you like. I'm not sure one is any better than the other. Most have transportation between the airport and the hotel. Might consider one with a restaurant as there's not much in the area but the usual fast food places.

Edited by Texas Tillie

2 hours ago, stevendom57 said:

I would suggest that you stay in the Clear Lake area. Much nicer neighborhood than around Hobby airport. There is also the Johnson Space Center to visit if you have the time.

Steven

They want to use the Royal Caribbean transfer the next morning. Getting to the NASA area and then to the port would probably be much more $$$ than staying in the Hobby area and taking the ship's transfer. They aren't getting in until 8 PM, so wouldn't be able to do anything at NASA. 

Yeah, the area surrounding Hobby isn't that great. Stick with a major hotel chain and it will be sufficient. Not great, but sufficient. This is not an area where you walk to your destination.

Some restaurants in the area that I would recommend are:

Captain Benny's Seafood

8253 Gulf Fwy, Houston, TX 77017

Dot Coffee Shop (has full diner menu)

7006 I-45 S. at Woodridge, Houston, TX 77087

Pappas BBQ

7050 I-45, Houston, TX 77087

Doneraki (Tex Mex)

300 Gulfgate Center Mall, Houston, TX 77087

Boudreaux's Seafood Kitchen

100 Gulfgate Center Mall, Houston, TX 77087

I've been to all of these personally and feel safe. Just don't do stupid things like flash a bunch of cash or leave your car unlocked.

1 hour ago, aknguyen said:

Yeah, the area surrounding Hobby isn't that great. Stick with a major hotel chain and it will be sufficient. Not great, but sufficient. This is not an area where you walk to your destination.

Some restaurants in the area that I would recommend are:

Captain Benny's Seafood

8253 Gulf Fwy, Houston, TX 77017

Dot Coffee Shop (has full diner menu)

7006 I-45 S. at Woodridge, Houston, TX 77087

Pappas BBQ

7050 I-45, Houston, TX 77087

Doneraki (Tex Mex)

300 Gulfgate Center Mall, Houston, TX 77087

Boudreaux's Seafood Kitchen

100 Gulfgate Center Mall, Houston, TX 77087

I've been to all of these personally and feel safe. Just don't do stupid things like flash a bunch of cash or leave your car unlocked.

A good list of places to eat, but the OP isn't going to have a car. That's why I recommended staying someplace with a restaurant. Use the hotel's airport service to and from the hotel and take Royal Caribbean's transfer from the airport to Galveston. Also, they aren't getting in until 8 PM with grandchildren.

I really apricate all the information. I've been doing some searching and I was looking at Doubletree by Hilton that is about half a mile from Hobby airport since they have shuttle pick up. They say their is a couple restaurant there and they also have a place to eat breakfast  but, I was going to call to see how late they are open since it will be late. We also have a 13 and 16 year old with us and sometime they are picky. Do you advise us to stay at the hotel or is there something close that maybe safe to walk too. If all else fails we can order pizza.

Thank you in advance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aknguyen said:

Just giving options in the event they decide to get an Uber or something. If they get there and find they don't like the restaurant in the hotel it will be a bit late to start looking. Didn't mean to offend...

Not offended. The info might be good for someone with a car that reads this. You are hardly the first person that answers a question that isn't asked!! :classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, Paula B said:

I really apricate all the information. I've been doing some searching and I was looking at Doubletree by Hilton that is about half a mile from Hobby airport since they have shuttle pick up. They say their is a couple restaurant there and they also have a place to eat breakfast  but, I was going to call to see how late they are open since it will be late. We also have a 13 and 16 year old with us and sometime they are picky. Do you advise us to stay at the hotel or is there something close that maybe safe to walk too. If all else fails we can order pizza.

Thank you in advance.

I don't know about that Doubletree (I live in Houston, so don't need hotels), but I've always found the Doubletrees to be OK. I looked on the google map and the only place I saw that I would walk from the hotel there is a Jack-in-the Box across a side street. There might be other places that aren't on the google map. As you say, there's always pizza!!!

According to the hotels website.

• DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Houston Hobby Airport, TX - Sundance Lounge

Sundance Lounge

Dressed stone walls, a fireplace and juke box make this lounge an exciting choice for afternoon or evening cocktails, specialty beers or wines. Complimentary hors d'oeuvres are served Monday through Friday from 4-7pm.

HOURS

MONDAY 2:00 pm - 12:00 am
    TUESDAY 2:00 pm - 12:00 am
    WEDNESDAY 2:00 pm - 12:00 am
    THURSDAY 2:00 pm - 12:00 am
    FRIDAY 2:00 pm - 12:00 am
    SATURDAY 2:00 pm - 12:00 am
    SUNDAY 2:00 pm - 12:00 am
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Houston Hobby Airport, TX - Dinner Tables

The Boardwalk

Skylights and fountains create a memorable atmosphere. Full dinner menu . Tuesday night Prime rib buffet.

HOURS
    MONDAY 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
    TUESDAY 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
    WEDNESDAY 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
    THURSDAY 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
    FRIDAY 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
    SATURDAY 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
    SUNDAY 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Houston Hobby Airport, TX - The Landing

The Landing

Casual dining. Daily full American breakfast and lunch buffets are featured in addition to the ala carte menu. Monday-Friday we offer lunch buffet that includes soup, salad, 2 hot entrees, sides, dessert.

HOURS
    MONDAY 6:00 am - 2:00 pm
    TUESDAY 6:00 am - 2:00 pm
    WEDNESDAY 6:00 am - 2:00 pm
    THURSDAY 6:00 am - 2:00 pm
    FRIDAY 6:00 am - 2:00 pm
    SATURDAY 6:00 am - 2:00 pm
    SUNDAY 6:00 am - 2:00 pm

And looking at the map there does not appear to much of a variety within walking distance like Texas Tillie stated above.

blob.png.5b219a1dca272b2b90a34e5ab31633c7.png 

Edited by SciFiGuy1960

Answering only the question asked: I agree with the others that you aren't going to want to walk anywhere around the hotel.

Offering another option: Eat inside the airport before you leave. There are lots of options to cover picky eaters.

Thanks everyone for the information it is very useful. I went a head and booked the Doubletree by Hilton. It's just one night and we will probably eat at one of the restaurants in the hotel or order pizza in since it will be so late. Usually I have things planned better but, it was a last minute decision to take a cruise with the kids on spring break. I really appreciate all of your input.

• Like 1

I recommend the Drury Inn. Free shuttle or $10 cab which, with a receipt, they will reimburse. Free dinner and 3 free drinks. Not great food but usually a good salad and some sort of entree. Enough to be satisfied with. Also free popcorn.  Cheaper than some others mentioned. Free shuttle back to airport in the AM to get the RCI shuttle. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/14/2018 at 4:41 PM, 39august said:

I recommend the Drury Inn. Free shuttle or $10 cab which, with a receipt, they will reimburse. Free dinner and 3 free drinks. Not great food but usually a good salad and some sort of entree. Enough to be satisfied with. Also free popcorn.  Cheaper than some others mentioned. Free shuttle back to airport in the AM to get the RCI shuttle. 

Where is this Drury Inn hotel. I pull it up and there is more then one. Is it in league City

4 hours ago, miss tea said:

Where is this Drury Inn hotel. I pull it up and there is more then one. Is it in league City

The Drury by Hobby is at 7902 Mosley Rd, 713-941-4300

League City is in Galveston County at least half way from Hobby to the port in Galveston.

• 2 months later...