Leaving ship at Brooklyn terminal for day

Moira123

Hi there...  second time aboard “The Mary” departing Southampton this Saturday 15th. Last tear we just crossed to NY and had a week in Manhattan and then flew back. This time we are doing 6 days inc Caribbean. My question is, when we stop over at NY for a day, can we just leave all our luggage ( except of course passports estas etc) in our stateroom and just taxi  into Manhattan and back. Thanks 👍🏻

Should be no problem - assuming you are booked in the same cabin for the ongoing Caribbean leg.  There will be customs and immigration people there to process those debating, and I assume Cunard will make it possible for you to reboard without going through the process with all those just getting on in Brooklyn.

i would suggest you leave plenty of time for unanticipated traffic delays returning to the cruise terminal.

Thanks - it isn’t clear at all anywhere in the literature we have, and there was a suggestion by someone that you had to have all your bags packed and taken off at the port..... even though we are taking the onward leg to the Caribbean and back/ that sounded a bit daft to me 🙄

30 minutes ago, thinfool said:

We were just there...no taxi to Manhattan

I'm not sure why you think that; lots of taxis taking departing passengers to Manhattan or the airports. Maybe not a lot of them at 8:00 am, though.

23 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

I'm not sure why you think that; lots of taxis taking departing passengers to Manhattan or the airports. Maybe not a lot of them at 8:00 am, though.

I think that the poster is saying , don’t bother with a taxi when the Ferry is a better way to get to Manhattan?

This topic is covered many times over at the Cunard Forum .

On 12/11/2018 at 10:08 PM, thinfool said:

We were just there...no taxi to Manhattan.  About 200 feet from the ship is the entrance to the NY Ferry which will take you to the Wall St ferry terminal for $2.75 in about 20 minutes.  Hard to beat.  Reverse the route when returning.

https://www.ferry.nyc/

Hi and cheers for that idea - sounds a good plan. Is this ferry port known as red hook? ....and I assume we then take the SB line to Dumbo (pier 1) in order to walk Brooklyn bridge over to Manhattan?

I think, looking at the route maps that we could also return from midtown on a ferry to pier 11, then back on the SB line ferry to Red Hook. Anyone know what time the ship leaves from Brooklyn to Caribbean on that Saturday - IE how long do we have ashore in NY 

TYIA

3 hours ago, Moira123 said:

Hi and cheers for that idea - sounds a good plan. Is this ferry port known as red hook? ....and I assume we then take the SB line to Dumbo (pier 1) in order to walk Brooklyn bridge over to Manhattan?

I think, looking at the route maps that we could also return from midtown on a ferry to pier 11, then back on the SB line ferry to Red Hook. Anyone know what time the ship leaves from Brooklyn to Caribbean on that Saturday - IE how long do we have ashore in NY 

TYIA

Your analysis of the NYC Ferry routes looks correct to me. The stop adjacent to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal is indeed "Red Hook" and the "Dumbo / BBP Pier 1" stop would be the one to use for a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. And there are now options using the ferry to/from midtown Manhattan involving a transfer at "Wall Street / Pier 11".

I'm seeing the usual 5:00pm departure for QM2 on Saturday (December 15). That means the "All Aboard" time will probably be 4:30pm.

I that the ferry suggestion is sound as 8AM would still put you solidly in rush hour and rather than fighting the bridge traffic from Brooklyn to Manhattan, you can have a ferry ride.  Weather dependent, you could also have some great views of the city!

Edited by cougaraz

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

... I'm seeing the usual 5:00pm departure for QM2 on Saturday (December 15). That means the "All Aboard" time will probably be 4:30pm.

Oops, sorry if I caused any confusion, but of course I meant "December 22" as the date in question for QM2's departure time from Brooklyn in this previous reply of mine.