Special Diet - SIBO

cathycruise

Hello,

I have been recently diagnosed with SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth) after two years of numerous GI troubles.  I was treated with antibiotics and have been on an extremely restricted diet since.  My health is so much better now and I truly thank the Lord for that after 2 years of endless troubles! 🙂  

We are getting on a cruise in December (Princess) and I have submitted my dietary restrictions through the passenger profile (no lactose, gluten free, garlic and onion allergy).  Princess emailed me back saying I'll need to discuss it with the Maitre D when we get onboard.  To be honest, that reply didn't quite assure me if I'll be able to eat anything other than plain rice from the buffet... 😛  Has anybody cruised with SIBO before?   Basically, I can't have anything that has sugar, sugar alcohol, garlic/onion, regular milk (including ice cream and gelato! 😢), or anything made with wheat flour.  (yep, there's virtually no chance for me to gain weight during my cruise, and that is a huge upside of my story. 🙂)

Any helpful advice or testimony will be truly appreciated.  Thank you very much!

19 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

What do you eat at home? What's the likelihood that the ship would have those acceptable ingredients onboard?

It's the cooking method and a lot of basic ingredients.  At home, I cook my omelets with only water, only bell pepper and green part of scallion because I can't use any white part of scallions.  My almond milk has to be 100% natural from almonds only (no "gum" or thickner added.)  My steaks can't be marinated with garlic or onion.  Can't have Basmati rice - it has to be Jasmine or Japanese sushi rice .  Pizza has to be made with rice flour with only aged Parmesan (1 yr or older) and no garlic.  I know I sound disgustingly picky but my suffering was so great for the past two years I don't want to jeopardize the GI tranquility 🙂. During my 14-day European cruise, before my diagnose/diet,  I suffered everyday with severe stomach cramps, diarrhea - sorry! 😛 - and nausea.  I have to be just so careful with all I am eating now.  I almost considered cancelling the cruise but my poor husband has been looking forward to it for the whole year I simply can't do that for his sake. 🙂

talk to the  maitre'd  as instructed  & ask to talk  to the head Chef

skip the buffet  as there may be foods that would have some ingredients you cannot have in them

Most cruise lines  can accommodate  most  food issues

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, cathycruise said:

Hello,

I have been recently diagnosed with SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth) after two years of numerous GI troubles.  I was treated with antibiotics and have been on an extremely restricted diet since.  My health is so much better now and I truly thank the Lord for that after 2 years of endless troubles! 🙂  

We are getting on a cruise in December (Princess) and I have submitted my dietary restrictions through the passenger profile (no lactose, gluten free, garlic and onion allergy).  Princess emailed me back saying I'll need to discuss it with the Maitre D when we get onboard.  To be honest, that reply didn't quite assure me if I'll be able to eat anything other than plain rice from the buffet... 😛  Has anybody cruised with SIBO before?   Basically, I can't have anything that has sugar, sugar alcohol, garlic/onion, regular milk (including ice cream and gelato! 😢), or anything made with wheat flour.  (yep, there's virtually no chance for me to gain weight during my cruise, and that is a huge upside of my story. 🙂)

Any helpful advice or testimony will be truly appreciated.  Thank you very much!

I'm glad you got a diagnosis and are getting relief 🙂 

Are cheeses ok?  I know some with lactose issues that can have cheese and some not.  There is generally a cheese plate that should be naturally free of any added sugars (I'm assuming naturally occurring sugar is acceptable - fruits and vegetables) and gluten free.  Many lines have GF pizza and desserts, but the dairy might trip you up.  When we sailed Regal Princess there was an Italian restaurant open for lunch (Alfredo's).  Less crowded than the buffet and might be a safer place for avoiding cross contamination.  They had salads (should probably go dressing free or ask for oil and vinegar only due to sugar) and some meat trays, so not just pizza and pasta.

The buffet is likely to have the greatest risk of unknown ingredients and cross contamination.  There is usually an omelette/eggs made to order station (although onions may have been in the pan before you).  You can request vegetable spray if you can't use butter, but again there may have been butter used before you.  There is also fresh fruit and vegetables that might be ok.

Do speak with the Maitre D.  He should be able to coordinate with the galley (kitchen) to provide acceptable choices.  Best wishes to you.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, cathycruise said:

Hello,

I was on a different cruise line but what I saw was very sympathetic food staff.  Also posts here of people with life threatening allergies have posted here with positive feedback.  You may be given a separate menu to discuss the day before.  This allows the kitchen to adapt for you.  Unfortunately, some lines are using more and more pre-prepared items so those trace items you don't want to ingest are going to be the harder items to avoid.....and I wouldn't be considering the buffet at all.  I watched a table mate who had no pancreas discussing fine preparation details with the maitre'd.  She had to be a little persistent as they don't always recognize that fruit compote is bound to have sugar traces in it.  If you have to, ask to speak to the chef personally.  Poached fish, steamed veg, potato instead of rice, fruit. boiled egg, plain but varied.  Discuss any allowable herbs or spices to add a bit of zing to it.  As long as you are willing to avoid temptation, they should be able to provide something for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everybody for your kind advice/information.  I am severely lactose intolerant - even before SIBO - but I believe "aged" cheese with low FODMAP/no lactose should be ok.  I am planning to talk to the Maitre d' as soon as he is available and work on my special meal orders. My salad has to be "naked" as I am not allowed to have balsamic vinegar.  I am honestly sorry for the kitchen staff who will have to deal with my painful request but I'd be extremely grateful for any help I can get.  Thank you again everybody!  I feel now more comfortable with the idea of cruising with SIBO. 

• Like 1

My Mother-in-Law has a similar mixture of food allergies (basically she's celiac and dairy intolerant with a pile of extra allergies and sensitivities added on, everything from mint to alcohol to white potatoes and rice).  She always carries little cards in her wallet with a list of her allergies so nothing gets forgotten between the table and the kitchen.  We've traveled with her overseas and she even carries a translation of the card if we're going to a non-english-speaking country.  It might be handy to have a similar printed-out list for the Maitre-d and chef to have for reference.    

She also travels with a stash of protein bars and other snacks that she knows she is safe to eat, to tide her over if a menu is very limited or on days with heavy travel where she's not certain of the safety of her next meal.  

I second what mef_57 says above....  Sometimes there can be a bit of a language barrier which can cause confusion, and worse.... you end up getting sick.  MIL, for example, can't have cow dairy, but is 100% a-ok with goat or sheep dairy.  Sometimes this doesn't come across well...

Edited by lizp
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, lizp said:

My Mother-in-Law has a similar mixture of food allergies (basically she's celiac and dairy intolerant with a pile of extra allergies and sensitivities added on, everything from mint to alcohol to white potatoes and rice).  She always carries little cards in her wallet with a list of her allergies so nothing gets forgotten between the table and the kitchen.  We've traveled with her overseas and she even carries a translation of the card if we're going to a non-english-speaking country.  It might be handy to have a similar printed-out list for the Maitre-d and chef to have for reference.    

She also travels with a stash of protein bars and other snacks that she knows she is safe to eat, to tide her over if a menu is very limited or on days with heavy travel where she's not certain of the safety of her next meal.  

I second what mef_57 says above....  Sometimes there can be a bit of a language barrier which can cause confusion, and worse.... you end up getting sick.  MIL, for example, can't have cow dairy, but is 100% a-ok with goat or sheep dairy.  Sometimes this doesn't come across well...

What a great idea!  I have my own list of what is OK and what isn't. I think I'll have it printed out and carry multiple copies for the kitchen and dining room staff.  Just like you MIL, I can't have any dairy unless it's 100% lactose free (it's really convenient here in the US as lactose free milk is mostly available anywhere) and out of fear of lactose issues, I generally stay away from any cheese/butter/yogurt (I can have 24-hr home-made yogurt but that's not what I can carry to the ship).  I truly hate being difficult and making the kitchen/dining staff's life difficult as they already have so many people to take care of... but the memory of me in the bathroom all the time during our 14-day cruise in Europe is still too vivid and painful.  😢  Language barrier is really there, I noticed that myself, whenever my husband tried to order a cup of prune juice anywhere outside the main dining. 🙂  Really appreciate your tip (and thanks to your MIL!)

Our DIL is severely allergic to onions.  Even a small amount of onion powder is very bad for her.

Each night the Head Waiter would meet with her after dinner and discuss the next night's menu and they would make selections based on the normal ingredients and what could be substituted or prepared just for her.  She had no issues at all until the last morning when she ordered off the menu an eggs benedict variation that included spinach.  The spinach had sauteed onion in it.  One taste and she knew it was bad, but that one taste was enough.  Who to blame?  Unfortunately only herself.  She made a bad assumption.

• 2 weeks later...

I also use index cards.  Mine has pictures of lobster and shrimp with the red 'NO' symbol that I carry when travelling in Europe.   We like to eat at local restaurants and street vendors, and it's saved me from a few mistakes.  If I even mention my shellfish allergy in the dining room, the head waiter will rush over and ask if I need help with the menu.  

Agree with the suggestion to bring a list of (common) food items that you CAN eat, so that a plate can be prepared for you that is safe.  While they may not be able to prepare a pizza with a special flour or ensure that the cheese is a particular type, having a safe option will ensure that you always have a meal.

If they don't have the specific flour or rice, for example, they'll default to the safest option.  Plain/naked salad, omlette made with water, fresh fruits, etc.