Cruise Critic Community
CaliforniaDon

Medallion - more nitty-gritty & timing questions

Hi -

These are more day-to-day type questions (as opposed to the other topics about safety, and usefulness).

** How long before our cruise will we get correspondence about the Medallion?  Ruby in Jan.  and Regal in March, for example.

** One video said they had been called by Princess to specify watch band size beforehand. Not likely a long term plan, or is it?

** How is the Ruby doing?  Old notices talk about Ruby implementation in Jan, 2019. Our trip is 30 days out and no info regarding this on our personalizer.

** What is this "upload passport" to speed up boarding about? Or is that just the info that we already share each time - passport # and expiration, etc.?

** How long BEFORE departure would the medallions be mailed, and is there a provision for the likely cases of being "on the way" to the cruise port for a week or two before the cruise?

** Are there free holders other than the watch bands?  I saw some cheap LARGER rubber key marking rings on Amazon. They said 3 cm diameter, which might work, but the medallions look thicker than a key.  The slot where the key end would come out would be a place that a thin loop could grab it - like dollar store lanyards.

** Can the medallion fit in a plastic pouch?  even in the same pouch as the soon-to-be obsolete coffee cards go.  Can the medallion be read with a coffee card behind it?

We are looking forward to being "MEDALLIONAIRES"  (sigh)

Highly unlikely the Medallion will be implemented on the Ruby by your cruise. The Ruby has tablets outside the cabin door and you press your cruise card against it to open your cabin door. Below is a photo.

The Regal has the Medallion and you’ll have it on your cruise. It comes with a holder but you can put it in your pocket or in a pouch. 

79F21C9E-B406-43C3-BC3D-7B426D35FE64.jpeg

Do you have an iPhone? 

If so, your first stop should be the Apple App store. 

Search for Ocean Ready

Fill in the blanks and you’ll be well on your way. 

Dont know what’s available for non- Apple devices, though I’m reasonably certain something’s available. 

We were on the CB last month.  I downloaded the OceanReady app on my droid and filled in the info about our passports and our pictures.  When we arrived at the counter all we had to do was show them the app and they gave us our OM and cruise cards (now they send out the OM early I have heard).  They did glance at the passports to make sure we had them.  It was all so easy and fast.  Our downloaded pics would appear on the pad near our cabin door when we approached depending on who it was.  This eliminated the boarding document, taking info from our passports etc.  We were given our OM (no time to mail them), cruise cards, lanyard and plastic pouches for both.  The lanyard had a quick disconnect which I used as I do not like lanyards but Ms satxdiver liked and wore the lanyard.  They had the watch bands and other jewelry for the OM displayed but not available yet with no prices.  I do believe I would prefer the OM in my pocket which I could keep there when arriving at the cabin door.  

Deboarding, reboarding and buying anything in the shops required placing the OM on the small reader where the color would change as it recognized the OM.  So much easier than using the cruise card and the bing of the reader.  

On 12/11/2018 at 7:50 PM, Colo Cruiser said:

The Regal only had about 100 cabins fitted by the middle on Nov.

Very little was working for the rest of the passengers.

It sounds like there has been very little progress since DW and I sailed her a year ago.  

Folks on board now state it is to be fully installed (room panels) by this Sunday.  Decks 8 / 9 were only ones missing as of last Sunday.  This is Deck 8 getting installed this week per a current passenger.

image.png.409e482e4d2af623cdb2aa7a9728efd3.png

39 minutes ago, dweidensaul said:

Folks on board now state it is to be fully installed (room panels) by this Sunday.  Decks 8 / 9 were only ones missing as of last Sunday.  This is Deck 8 getting installed this week per a current passenger.

image.png.409e482e4d2af623cdb2aa7a9728efd3.png

Thanks for the current update. 👍

It sounds as though at least the door opening feature might be working in the near future. 

6 hours ago, satxdiver said:

I downloaded the OceanReady app on my droid and filled in the info about our passports and our pictures. 

Our downloaded pics would appear on the pad near our cabin door when we approached depending on who it was.

In addition to the required photos, I downloaded avatars for my wife's OM account and for mine. If you don't want your photo displayed on the Ocean Compass screens or your cabin screens as you approach then, then you are able to insert any avatar (within the bounds of proper decorum, I assume) you wish. You actual photo appears on security and purchase screens but the avatar appears on you cabin screen and the Ocean Compass screens. And maybe others for all I know but these are the only two places I saw our avatars.   

We were given our OM (no time to mail them), cruise cards, lanyard and plastic pouches for both.  The lanyard had a quick disconnect which I used as I do not like lanyards but Ms satxdiver liked and wore the lanyard. 

Satxdiver, how far in advance of your sailing did you complete and submit all of the Ocean Ready information? I ask because I completed ours about two weeks prior to sailing and our OM devices and quick disconnect lanyards were sent DHL from Singapore just a few days later. We had them  the Monday before our Sunday sailing. As we already had our OM devices, they glanced at our passports, handed us our cruise cards and away we went. After making our way through the metal scanners and to the cruise desk, we stopped walking for a maximum of maybe 20 seconds. GREAT system.  

2 hours ago, Ep010835 said:

how far in advance of your sailing did you complete and submit all of the Ocean Ready information?

I recently filled out my info for a cruise in April. They said they would ship the medallion about 2 weeks prior to the cruise.

It looks like around the 2 week mark would be the cutoff.

25 minutes ago, BDRebel said:

I recently filled out my info for a cruise in April. They said they would ship the medallion about 2 weeks prior to the cruise.

It looks like around the 2 week mark would be the cutoff.

If they continue with their present system, life will be good. Ours left Singapore on a Friday and were delivered here in north Texas the following Monday. 

8 hours ago, fishin' musician said:

It sounds like there has been very little progress since DW and I sailed her a year ago.  

Hello fishin' musician-  Just watched your video in your signature.  What a fantastic trip!  Your video is great.  Your photos are outstanding!  Your family pics are sweet and you have a beautiful family.  We hope to go on an Alaska cruise someday!

Tai

3 hours ago, Ep010835 said:

I downloaded the app and filled it out a little over a week before we boarded the ship.  I would say that once the app is filled out with the data, they get it almost immediately.  As you said once you get to the Princess desk it is a simple here is our passports which they glanced at and gave us our OM and cruise card.  They still have to be certain you have a valid passport but no longer need to scan it in like in the past.  I had not considered using an avatar instead of our ugly mugs so I will change it before our next OM cruise.   Everytime we came close to our cabin door the picture/avatar is displayed on the tablet mounted by the door.  I believe the avatar is a much better solution. 

I did notice that the bar waiters were wandering around with tablet devices hanging from their belts but I never saw them use it.  Perhaps now they have been trained and use it.  

Wife likes cardinals so I gave her one of those. Mine was the King of Rock and Roll!

Saw no other avatars the entire 14 days. 

1 hour ago, onboard2005 said:

Hello fishin' musician-  Just watched your video in your signature.  What a fantastic trip!  Your video is great.  Your photos are outstanding!  Your family pics are sweet and you have a beautiful family.  We hope to go on an Alaska cruise someday!

Tai

Thank you Tai, keeping that a surprise was the most stressful thing I've ever done!   There have been a few more trips to Alaska since that one with videos on the Slim Tim youtube channel.

1 minute ago, fishin' musician said:

Thank you Tai, keeping that a surprise was the most stressful thing I've ever done!   There have been a few more trips to Alaska since that one with videos on the Slim Tim youtube channel.

Thanks,  I'll jot that info down.  Our daughter and her husband want to cruise to Alaska for their anniversary.  I'll definitely share your videos and pics with them. The surprise was great- you did good!

Tai