Formal Nights - Royal Princess Jan 5-12 Western Caribbean

rburzanko

I've looked all around the princess website and can't seem to find this info.  Sailing on 7 night Western Carribean Jan 5-12, 2019 and while I see that 2 of the nights will be "formal" nights, I don't see anything that tells me what nights those are.  Anyone know which nights of the cruise these typically are?

Also how formal are these evenings?  I've read a little and it seems like they are mostly "dress casual" but wanted further clarity on how formal they are so I pack appropriately.

Thanks in advance for your help here. 

Without seeing your itinerary, it is hard to guess. Formal nights are never the first or the last nights. If there are two other days that are at sea, they will probably be the formal nights. Other choices are ports that you leave early from. For instance, on many itineraries, the ship sails from St. Thomas at 4 pm and it is a formal night

Formals have become more casual over the years. Packing and paying for luggage when you fly is one reason. People seem to prefer comfort over formality and it's getting less formal every year. Smart casual seems to have replaced formal for many. There will be tux's and causal wear so you'll feel appropriate whatever you wear as long as it's not jeans on formal night if you use the MDR. Those that don't dine in the MDR wear anything, even jeans because formal night is for dining rooms.

19 hours ago, rburzanko said:

I've looked all around the princess website and can't seem to find this info.  Sailing on 7 night Western Carribean Jan 5-12, 2019 and while I see that 2 of the nights will be "formal" nights, I don't see anything that tells me what nights those are.  Anyone know which nights of the cruise these typically are?

Also how formal are these evenings?  I've read a little and it seems like they are mostly "dress casual" but wanted further clarity on how formal they are so I pack appropriately.

Thanks in advance for your help here. 

Probably Sunday, January 6th and then either Tuesday, Roatan or Wednesday, Belize. Formal nights are not announced in advance. They will be shown in the Princess Patter when you board.

Formal dress is only for the Main Dining Rooms, Specialty Restaurants are smart casual every night and the rest of the ship is casual. How formal? Most men will be in jacket & tie, jacket no tie, shirt & tie with no jacket. Some, maybe 10/15% will be in tux, and some just shirt with no tie. Most women will be in a nice dress or slacks with nice top. Very few, if any, in gowns. What can you get away with depends on the maitre'd, but generally no shorts and no frayed slacks or jeans. 

Your 2 formal nights will be the first full sea day and Belize.  That is what they are this wek. Less than 30% of those in the AD room have been dressed in formal wear or even wear suit coats.  Also the dining room was far from full so no waiting.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, c-boy said:

Princess also states "For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes 
(or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring 
an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse.

6 hours ago, floridalover5623 said:

After what I encountered last month on the CB I believe this is becoming the norm on all Princess ships.

Encountered the same thing on the Royal this week.  Princess no longer has a formal night dress code. Just goes to prove what others have been saying for several years.  You can quote all the brochures and show allthe articles and even paste from the Answer Book andit does not matter.  There is nodress code enforcement on a Princess cruise ship.

14 hours ago, Potstech said:

Encountered the same thing on the Royal this week.  Princess no longer has a formal night dress code. Just goes to prove what others have been saying for several years.  You can quote all the brochures and show allthe articles and even paste from the Answer Book andit does not matter.  There is nodress code enforcement on a Princess cruise ship.

Good to hear.

I expect the Regal will be similar to the Royal, but who knows. 

Let those who like dressing up do as they please & leave the non conformers to a more relaxed vacation.