Do You See Your Loyalty Benefits Slowly Slipping Away?

Ramjet1997

We recently returned from an 8 night cruise on Adventure (Nov 24-Dec 2) which started off very badly in the so-called Diamond Lounge....as some of you know the lounge only seats maybe 90-100 people.  I am sure that anyone who experienced the following story can confirm the events.  Add to the fact that the same regulars started reserving their seats about an hour before the happy hour actually begins.....so the lounge seats are basically spoken for before it even opens.  These people (similar to pool chair hogs) made sure that all of the lounge was "taken" before the 4:30 opening time.  The "overflow" was of course the Viking Crown lounge to handle the other 150-250 people who showed up at the starting hour-4:30.  Around 4:45 a RCCL "group coordinator" closed off 80-90% of the VCL for a "private party"- he literally went from table to table and told C&A people to leave the overflow area because there was a "private party".  Almost immediately loud obnoxious ethnic music was blaring through the speakers for this private group, without any regard for the C & A Diamond & Diamond Plus members in attendance.  It was obvious that the LOYAL C & A members were no longer welcomed, except for maybe 6 or 7 small tables by the bar.  This episode put many C & A members in their place real quick, and many simply left without saying a word.

The reason I bring this up is the recent announcement concerning the "for a fee, the KEY" program.  I noticed that at least 3 of the Key benefits listed were items which had previously been included in your "Diamond Plus" benefits:

1.  Priority Boarding (thought we already had this)

2.  Reserved seating at shows (thought we already had this)

3.  Priority Debarkation (thought we already had this)

And the "complimentary internet" is NOT complimentary if you are paying $25 per person for "the Key"!!

It has become clear to me, and many others on this particular sailing, that loyalty to Royal Caribbean no longer means anything.....the benefits that come with being a "Loyal to Royal" are being slowly diluted....Only if you spend MORE MONEY and BUY your way into the benefits which were promised to many folks years ago.  I am sure that shareholders and people who buy "skip the line" tickets at amusement parks will applaud this never ending money grab.  While we have several upcoming cruises with RCCL, it is fairly obvious that slowly but surely they are taking away your loyalty earned benefits, one by one.  Unless, of course, you want to pay more.....and more.....and more.....and more......The future will tell if the smart loyal members of C & A will continue to support RCCL, or look elsewhere..........

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

A couple of years ago I couldn’t get 3 free drinks at any bar during happy hour.  I had to fight the crowds in the DL and listen to all the complainers.  Now I have a choice.  Thanks Royal.

glad you are happy..........

And here we go another, we are getting screwed by the way the give us free drinks.  

I have to agree current money over past money is a significant persuasive arguement.

That said, we all know there are a limited number of seats in any lounge...  if someone is willing to waste an hour sitting in a seat to have a seat.... all I can say is.... Well played.  You obviously wanted it more than I did.

jc

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

And here we go another, we are getting screwed by the way the give us free drinks.  

I have to agree current money over past money is a significant persuasive arguement.

That said, we all know there are a limited number of seats in any lounge...  if someone is willing to waste an hour sitting in a seat to have a seat.... all I can say is.... Well played.  You obviously wanted it more than I did.

jc

That's a nice perk of the SL on Oasis ships.  I can drink during that hour before cocktails. And when I'm properly pickled, roll over to CK.

I appreciate, the value of pinnacle, but alas, I am only a lowly D+ and I just learned today, I am lucky to be that lowly on one extra cruise.  I am not going to spend the money for a full suite, I am just now fully comfortable considering Jr Suites, and even then unless it is close, I will just say a balcony is perfect.  I just need somewhere to dry my surf gear.

On the Symphony TA, I ordered a 1/2 bottle of gin and 3 or 4 cans of tonic pre cruise, and I had to bring some of the gin home.  I really like to have a cocktail, but maybe an occasional day cocktail, with 3 or max 4 in the DL, and a glass of wine at dinner or two.  I really am done,... well maybe a little Grandma that i bring along in the room but other than that I am done.  I do have to get up in the morning and surf after all.:classic_cool:

jc

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ramjet1997 said:

Almost immediately loud obnoxious ethnic music was blaring through the speakers for this private group, without any regard for the C & A Diamond & Diamond Plus members in attendance.

This part tells me all I need to known about the OP. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, RDC1 said:

Now you know the dollar valuation of the loyalty benefits you get.

I actually get the most out of my benefits, more then most. Cruise Solo on Royal 80+ nites a year.  Being a Diamond plus-plus don't pay Single Supplement... But have lost benefits over the years. When first made Diamond 20yrs ago there wasn't a higher Tier or many of us. At the time we were first off the ship, could use the Concierge and as at most was 6-10 of us on the most popular cruises at the Diamond get together we would meet the Captain, Doctor, Chief Engineer, Cruise Director almost at a one on one every cruise. Now some my Repo sailings I'm on over 50% are upper Tier and with Popularity of Cruising and the Loyalty program there is little else to be done...

Edited by ONECRUISER

Sounds like the Key program is similar to Carnival's Faster to the Fun program where people without the loyalty benefits can buy them. I recall when the Carnival program first came out there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth saying that this diluted the benefit for those who had earned it. Not sure how Royal is going to run it but on Carnival the number of FTTF that is sold is dictated by the number of higher tier cruisers there are on a sailing. In any event loyalty programs are not how we choose a cruise or cruise line.

I don't see things being taken away- but I do see some being diluted.  

I've never been aware of the priority boarding, but we are never the ones who are there to be the first aboard anyway.  But we have enjoyed the priority check in that was available.  

Reserved seating on the Adventure?  It's front center rows in the balcony.  And the D+ get the corner seats for the ice show.  Not great seats, but you don't have to rush.

The only "priority" debarkation we've noticed was the ability to cut into the line waiting to get off.  Only had to use that once in our 30+ D+ sailings.  Other than that, Suites and Pinnacles have always had a special line in San Juan.

Anyway- the lounge benefit is diluted thanks to the number of D and D+ on the ship.  That's really not RCI's fault, other than making certain cruises so cheap that the regulars are always there in droves.  And the BOGO meal benefit is diluted, as they have given it to everyone to get more people at specialty restaurants.  So it's not that we lost it, but everyone got it, or at least part of it.

Can't wait to be P.  Which will come reasonably soon (in a few years).

13 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

the BOGO meal benefit is diluted, as they have given it to everyone to get more people at specialty restaurants.  So it's not that we lost it, but everyone got it, or at least part of it.

Actually if everyone gets BOGO meal in specialty restaurants it is no longer a benefit for D+ then. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ramjet1997 said:

Sounds like you have been snookered, gullible, or both........I can tell by the number of past posts that you enjoy defending stupidity at all cost.......

Almost all loyalty programs (airline, hotel, etc) are periodically devalued and that's not going to change.  It's a fact of life.  One can either accept it, or complain on the internet and show their true colors by insulting other people.

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 4

I checked out after the "ethnic" music complaint. 

You have 3 drink vouchers for other lounges, you still have priority boarding and debarkation and reserved seating at select venues. The Key is for people who don't and want to enjoy those benefits. 

I just turned D+. Happy to be there and not complaining. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ramjet1997 said:

We recently returned from an 8 night cruise on Adventure (Nov 24-Dec 2) which started off very badly in the so-called Diamond Lounge....as some of you know the lounge only seats maybe 90-100 people.  I am sure that anyone who experienced the following story can confirm the events.  Add to the fact that the same regulars started reserving their seats about an hour before the happy hour actually begins.....so the lounge seats are basically spoken for before it even opens.  These people (similar to pool chair hogs) made sure that all of the lounge was "taken" before the 4:30 opening time.  The "overflow" was of course the Viking Crown lounge to handle the other 150-250 people who showed up at the starting hour-4:30.  Around 4:45 a RCCL "group coordinator" closed off 80-90% of the VCL for a "private party"- he literally went from table to table and told C&A people to leave the overflow area because there was a "private party".  Almost immediately loud obnoxious ethnic music was blaring through the speakers for this private group, without any regard for the C & A Diamond & Diamond Plus members in attendance.  It was obvious that the LOYAL C & A members were no longer welcomed, except for maybe 6 or 7 small tables by the bar.  This episode put many C & A members in their place real quick, and many simply left without saying a word.

The reason I bring this up is the recent announcement concerning the "for a fee, the KEY" program.  I noticed that at least 3 of the Key benefits listed were items which had previously been included in your "Diamond Plus" benefits:

1.  Priority Boarding (thought we already had this)  This is only when you arrive at 10:30 and need to sit and wait.  They board based on your level.  If you arrive after 11:00, it is meaningless already. 

2.  Reserved seating at shows (thought we already had this)  I usually do not like where the seats are.

3.  Priority Debarkation (thought we already had this)  I never rush off the ship.....I'm still in bed when this starts.

And the "complimentary internet" is NOT complimentary if you are paying $25 per person for "the Key"!!

It has become clear to me, and many others on this particular sailing, that loyalty to Royal Caribbean no longer means anything.....the benefits that come with being a "Loyal to Royal" are being slowly diluted....Only if you spend MORE MONEY and BUY your way into the benefits which were promised to many folks years ago.  I am sure that shareholders and people who buy "skip the line" tickets at amusement parks will applaud this never ending money grab.  While we have several upcoming cruises with RCCL, it is fairly obvious that slowly but surely they are taking away your loyalty earned benefits, one by one.  Unless, of course, you want to pay more.....and more.....and more.....and more......The future will tell if the smart loyal members of C & A will continue to support RCCL, or look elsewhere..........

The benefits are not really benefits.  They have no cash value, so letting someone pay for something you get for free, is a good thing.  You still get it for free.

WiFi is still a benefit, unless you want to pay for the Key, which you don't, since you already have the benefits for free.

What I want, is the "free" items that actually cost money.  The free picture.  The free drinks.  Free wifi for 24 or 48 hours.  Balcony discount when booking 6 months out.  All those items save me money, on a 7 day cruise, about $780.00.  Jump to the front of the line, has no monetary value, therefore, I don't care.

• Like 1