Winchester to the Cruise Terminal?

AzureGreen23

DH and I would like to visit Winchester before our TA. Has anyone got experience with transportation from Winchester to the Cruise Terminal?  We're thinking of a taxi, all the way... And, how much time should we allow for the journey? Thanks for all thoughts and comments. 

By Car depending on time of Day, about 25 minutes out of rush hour.

There is also the Train service operated by South Western Railway. Journey time about 20 minutes  from Southampton Central Railway Station. Frequency again depends on time travelling and if the Guards are on strike.  Usually every 20 mins or so.

https://www.southwesternrailway.com/

Winchester is a great place to visit.... we did it in Nov '16 as we were there for 8 hrs on a B to B   T/A on QM2.  The time on  Our CUNARD bus ( tour ) for getting there and back, was less than 30 min.     I know this ISN'T your scenario..... but it shows how close it is, and that its a worthwhile place to visit. 

14 hours ago, AzureGreen23 said:

Hihilo, 

I think you're on our TA (depart 28 April)?

Have you got any must-see tips for Winchester?

We're planning two days in Canterbury and then train via London to Winchester.  We're looking forward to both towns.

Here's a few things to look out for in Winchester:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/albums/72157625054775644

With luggage, I'd go by taxi from your hotel direct to the terminal.

For those planning a day-trip to Winchester from Southampton, I'd go by rail. Trains are every 15 minutes approx and take 15 fifteen minutes.

Winchester is very "walkable"; print a map prior to your visit to save time wandering and maybe missing things.

Have a great time.

Edited by pepperrn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, pepperrn said:

Here's a few things to look out for in Winchester:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/albums/72157625054775644

With luggage, I'd go by taxi from your hotel direct to the terminal.

For those planning a day-trip to Winchester from Southampton, I'd go by rail. Trains are every 15 minutes approx and take 15 fifteen minutes.

Winchester is very "walkable"; print a map prior to your visit to save time wandering and maybe missing things.

Have a great time.

Thank you so much for your photos!  DH and I are on the 15 July QM2 sailing and plan to fly in to LHR a day or two early so we can visit Winchester.  I've seem some Winchester hotel suggestions but I'd love additional recommendations.

Hi

You can find tourist info here https://www.visitwinchester.co.uk/

I would visit the Cathedral, The Round Table, Westgate Museum, City Museum, City Mill, Winchester College (if open) and take a walk by the river. Excellent cafes are plentiful.

If hiring a car please visit the nearby lovely villages. Wickham is my favourite but there are others.

Cathy

The Wessex hotel is the most central with rooms overlooking the Cathedral. There are others including The Royal which is also in the centre.

Winchester is lovely in the summer where you sit in the Cathedral grounds and watch the world go by.

Plenty of places to eat, some very notable; The Ivy, Rick Stein, Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall. 

You could take a guided tour, but is easy to find most places yourself including the Great Hall, King Arthur’s Round Table, City Museum, Winchester College, Jane Austen’s house and of course the Cathedral. 

As others have said, easy to get to from either London or Southampton with regular direct trains.

On 12/15/2018 at 9:03 PM, si_boy said:

The Wessex hotel is the most central with rooms overlooking the Cathedral. 

Si_boy,

Just wondering, have you stayed at the Wessex? We are considering it because of the location. If you've been there, what's your opinion? 

Thanks,

AZ

Hi, not stayed at the Wessex so cant really comment, but fortunate to work in Winchester.

However, had heard that the decor is a little tired inside the Wessex. 

Can’t beat the central location though and to be honest there isn’t a huge amount of choice of hotels in the centre.

Another choice beyond a taxi is a car service.  We had smithsforairports.com pick us up in Bath one year to take us to the ship, they would certainly pick you up in Winchester.  Very reliable. You can get a free quote on their website.

7 hours ago, Cruise NH said:

Another choice beyond a taxi is a car service.  We had smithsforairports.com pick us up in Bath one year to take us to the ship, they would certainly pick you up in Winchester.  Very reliable. You can get a free quote on their website.

Thanks for this tip. I've requested a quote and will compare with a local taxi.