Earliest flight from FCO Rome

LynnSD

Several factors - earliest disembarkation time, week day, airline and destination.

Assuming Leonardo da Vinci-Fiumicino  it will take an hour by taxi (traffic dependent). You need to be at airport two hours before departure  (Airline and destination dependent) . I would recommend no earlier than 10 am.

Commonly discussed on the Italy board, because this is really a ground logistics issue. 10 or 10:30. If you are doing a direct to US flight, the process of clearing security can be very slow. This is an airport where the advice to checkin at least two hours ahead is critical. It is an hour drive from port to airport.

Plus, docking at 5am doesn't getting off the ship at 5:05.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I can tell you about our experience on November 3, 2018.   Our flight from FCO to ATL was originally scheduled to leave at 12:30 pm, but Delta kept changing the departure time to the final time of 10:30 am.  We decided to take our chances, even though we knew there was a chance that we wouldn't make it.  

Things in our favor:

1.  We only travel with a carry-on bag and a small bag pack.  We don't check luggage.

2.  We are very mobile - translation: we can walk very fast and/or run if necessary.

3.  We hired a car and it was waiting for us when we got off the ship.

4.  We researched information about the airport so we had an idea of where we needed to go.

5.  We knew we wouldn't have to clear immigration or customs upon arrival (depending on your itinerary this might be different).

6.  We were going to check-in via the Delta app so no need to go to the counter to check in.

We were on the Crown and we were the only cruise ship in port that day.  We were tied up alongside the dock a little before 5am - I know because I was up and watched them tie us up.  It was pouring rain when we docked.

We were in the first walk-off.  This is important to note - we were in the Elite lounge.  I specifically chose to wait in this area because it was in the Wheelhouse which was right next to the door that was being used for debarkation.  If the regular lounge was closer, then we probably would have waited there.  The ship was finally cleared at 7am and we were literally the first ones off the ship.  Our driver was waiting for us - the van was parked nearby and he whisked us off to the airport.  When I mentioned that our flight was scheduled to depart at 10:30, I saw a bit of surprise in his eyes.  It should be noted that it took at least 20 minutes to get to the highway (maybe even a bit longer, I wasn't timing it).  The point being that until you get on the highway, you are on a roadway that is one lane in each direction, at some points two lanes.  This was the slow part of the journey and if there is an accident then all bets are off.  Once on the modern highway, it is full steam ahead and the airport is right off the highway.  Okay, for the purists, it probably isn't called a highway in Italy, but it is a modern, multi-lane roadway and the traffic was moving at a fast clip.

We arrived at the airport right around 8am.   The airport is large and a bit confusing - even with the research.  But the airport personnel were very helpful and we found that all of them spoke fluent English which was much appreciated.  It took us about 45 minutes from entering the terminal, clearing passport control and security until we reached the gate.   Be aware that there were NO lines.  We didn't have to wait at any points and we were walking FAST.  No bathroom breaks, etc. until we reached the gate.  We got to the gate around 9ish.  Boarding was was scheduled to start at 9:50 or 9:55.  We did have to show our passports at the gate - they have to inspect documents and then they will issue a paper boarding pass.  You can accomplish the same thing at a kiosk.    We had enough time to get a delicious breakfast sandwich and our final Italian Cappuccino. 

Big question - would we do this again?  If we weren't pressed for time to get back home for work then there is no way that we would do this again.  I would not book anything prior to 11:30 am.  The stars aligned for us this trip but one little hiccup (checking bags, a line, multiple ships in port, etc.) could have caused us to miss the flight.  We were well prepared but also fortunate.

Bottom line - I would not recommend booking a flight prior to 11:30 am based on a 5am docking schedule.  And if you have other circumstances such as slow walker/mobility issues, checking luggage, not getting a hired car, busy cruise season, etc., then you should book an even later flight or spend the night in Rome and depart the next day.

If you do choose to book a 10am flight, then you MUST have a car waiting for you.  

I know people will disagree with me, but this is my experience during the low part of the season.

Happy Sailing!

Have cruised into and out of Civitavecchia many times and are also familiar with the roads to the airport, having spent a lot to time (and miles) driving in Italy.  Our general rule of thumb is to feel very comfortable booking flights after 11.  !0-11 is also fine although our comfort level would be somewhat less (especially if close to 10am flight).  With early flights we strongly recommend arranging for a private transfer (we always book with RomeCabs.com).  If you can find 1 or 2 other couples to join in your transfer (this is usually easy if you post to your Roll Call board) the cost of the private transfer is actually lower then what the cruise line charges for their transfers.  Many transfer companies charge extra for transfers prior to 7am.  We normally request a 7:15 transfer, do an express (walk off) disembarkation, and will normally be at FCO before 8:30.  While many experts recommend being at the airport 3 hours before an International flight we have always found that even 2 hours has been more then enough time.  The actual driving time from the Port to FCO is about 50 minutes although morning traffic can sometimes add a few extra minutes.  If one is extremely cautious and is going to lose sleep over the chance of a highway accident, delayed docking, etc.  you might just consider booking a flight the day after disembarkation.

One nice thing about Civitavecchia is that the Italian authorities are quick to clear ships (usually about 20 minutes after docking) and there are no Immigration/Customs hassles.

Hank