Currency for caribbean cruise

crazycez

We are very much looking forward to our caribbean cruise on Azura at the end of Dec but wondering the best way to take currency? I believe all islands take the US dollar but was considering a pre payment card. Any help would be great please

53 minutes ago, crazycez said:

We are very much looking forward to our caribbean cruise on Azura at the end of Dec but wondering the best way to take currency? I believe all islands take the US dollar but was considering a pre payment card. Any help would be great please

If you are wanting to pay in cash then its US dollars or Euros for a few islands, if you intend to use a card then it's a credit or debit card. Personally I would never consider using a pre paid card that I could lose or have stolen.

Just be sure if you're in a Caribbean Island which uses Eastern Caribbean dollars (EC$) that if you are paying in US$ to ask that you can have change in US$.  US$ are freely accepted, but if you get EC$ as change you may find you aren't going to any other islands which accept them.  

US Dollars are almost exclusively the top currency to use.  A very few number of islands take Euros as well.  Take smaller denominations because it avoids getting handed much change.  If you receive change make sure it is US Dollars as local dollars are not such high value as a currency.

Regards John

10 hours ago, john watson said:

US Dollars are almost exclusively the top currency to use.  A very few number of islands take Euros as well.  Take smaller denominations because it avoids getting handed much change.  If you receive change make sure it is US Dollars as local dollars are not such high value as a currency.

Regards John

I agree US$ are pretty universally accepted but we did go to Guadeloupe a few years ago - it did coincide with some protest/national strike making a point with France - but they were very insistent they would take only Euros.  Only island we've found them so intractable but as It might have been linked to some political statement they were making.  I think we used Euros in Martinique too.  If you're travelling to French Islands, might be worth taking some if you have them in hand.

On 12/13/2018 at 1:13 PM, terrierjohn said:

If you are wanting to pay in cash then its US dollars or Euros for a few islands, if you intend to use a card then it's a credit or debit card. Personally I would never consider using a pre paid card that I could lose or have stolen.

Post Office Travel Card is as safe as a credit card.

On 12/15/2018 at 12:17 AM, john watson said:

Regards John

Good advice......Take smaller denomination $US

2 hours ago, timhannah4 said:

Good advice......Take smaller denomination $US

On 12/15/2018 at 10:33 AM, kruzseeka said:

I agree US$ are pretty universally accepted but we did go to Guadeloupe a few years ago - it did coincide with some protest/national strike making a point with France - but they were very insistent they would take only Euros.  Only island we've found them so intractable but as It might have been linked to some political statement they were making.  I think we used Euros in Martinique too.  If you're travelling to French Islands, might be worth taking some if you have them in hand.

From personal experience over several Caribbean cruises, most islands take it for granted that tourists will pay in US dollars and quote prices in them. Martinique and Guadeloup are the exceptions, all prices on these islands are in Euros although they will usually accept dollars. The only exceptions I found on these islands were stalls set up near the quay on Martinique, where everything was priced in US$. Epecting to pay in euros we had left our dollars onboard and carried euros instead!

Edited by Denarius