RCCL Doesn't Care

After many ncl cruises all booked well in advance and at reasonable cost, we are jumping to RCCL because when I looked at ncl prices I saw significant price gouging for 2019 

i was looking at least a year in advance too just like I always do so now we are looking forward to our first rccl cruise 

my high school senior is taking 2 days off and I know that all I will hear from the school is enoy your trip...they grow so fast...go make memories...

of course we do live in a very nice normal suburb of NYC that has nice normal families of all diversities sending their nice normal kids to the public high school

ny state isn't going to play games by withholding funds for our high achieving school district

what others are describing though certainly does happen in other states/areas etc 

its all about  the overall reputation of the school system and how the respective state can either encourage it or screw it all in an attempt to save funding it or in an attempt to increase funding it 

Edited by luvtheships

I always love the people who come on the boards and just blindly defend their favorite cruise lines.  People don't always expect their "rants" to change the policy of a large corporation.  These posts educate people on bad cruise line practices.  Sometimes believe it or not people just post in a "Cruise Forum" just to discuss with others that can relate and show some empathy (Something RC has none of).  I was impacted by this sailing and RC made a difficult issue even more stressful by the way they handled it.

If you can defend the way RC handled this "business" decision then I am pretty sure that RC can do no wrong in your eyes.  That's your prerogative but don't be rude to others on the board.  Plain and simple RC did not do right by its customers in this situation.  

• Like 7

On 12/14/2018 at 10:52 AM, Biker19 said:

I suspect this (cancellations) are such a routine thing, that there's no need for CC to weigh in - plenty of user threads discuss the issue. What could CC say that is not already reported in the user threads?

Reaching out for a comment from RC as to what the reason and timing of the dry dock would be nice.  Not everyone follows the RC threads so putting it with the news threads would expose it to more readers.  I have seen plenty of stories of cruise cancelations in the "news" section before.  The timing of the dry docking right at spring break makes it news worthy along with the fact that they offered a nearly sold out ship as the only equivalent option.

• Like 2

We were also on Oasis for the same trip, we initially got the same run around, nothing available on Allure and no price protection for anything else, we did even enquire about the Rhapsody. We tried to get Harmony as well with no joy. I jest kept calling and waiting on hold and calling and waiting on hold, eventually by some magic power there were opening on the Allure, same cabin class everything. They claimed as the final payment date approaches people cancel all the time. So my advice is keep trying just maybe. I should mention the poster is right in his frustration, RCCL was not willing to talk at all it was those two options or nothing and truly did not care. This just might be our last RCCL cruise, however I don't feel any other line would be different. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, luvtheships said:

After many ncl cruises all booked well in advance and at reasonable cost, we are jumping to RCCL because when I looked at ncl prices I saw significant price gouging for 2019 

i was looking at least a year in advance too just like I always do so now we are looking forward to our first rccl cruise 

I found that NCL starts out high, but I must wait until final payment time or beyond to get what I consider a reasonable price.  I am Platinum Plus on NCL but 3 of our next 4 cruises are on RC simply because we can book far enough ahead at reasonable prices.  The cruises I like on RC only increase from the starting price.

18 minutes ago, Beachammo said:

I know I'm in the minority.....but I'd rather be on Rhapsody than ANY Oasis class ship.

The RCCL website used to list their ships by class, but on one of their "improvements", that went away. So how do you know which class each ship falls into?

19 minutes ago, clean1owner said:

The RCCL website used to list their ships by class, but on one of their "improvements", that went away. So how do you know which class each ship falls into?

Wikipedia lists the ships and classes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2018 at 5:23 PM, mugtech said:

I found that NCL starts out high, but I must wait until final payment time or beyond to get what I consider a reasonable price.  I am Platinum Plus on NCL but 3 of our next 4 cruises are on RC simply because we can book far enough ahead at reasonable prices.  The cruises I like on RC only increase from the starting price.

My experience on Ncl has been just the opposite.  I’ve book a year in advance and gotten insides at dirt cheap thenive bid for a balcony and gotten an upgrade for around $ 200 for the cabin or $100 per person [for those not familiar with Ncl bidding it's only 1 and 2 pax that pay ] 

also the price i paid for those insides a year earlier have always been much more-expensive at 2 or 3 weeks pre cruise  

fwiw I refuse to pay big bucks for any cabin. I’ve traveled too often and too long to actually think I need to pay high prices     Same with airfare

i actually feel sorry for folks who aren’t savvy enough to know prices and must rely on a travel agent. 

Of course im fortunatetohavetraveled so much and certainly do understand the “trip of a lifetime” thinking 

9 hours ago, luvtheships said:

My experience on Ncl has been just the opposite.  I’ve book a year in advance and gotten insides at dirt cheap thenive bid for a balcony and gotten an upgrade for around $ 200 for the cabin or $100 per person [for those not familiar with Ncl bidding it's only 1 and 2 pax that pay ] 

The cruises we have taken out of NYC in October and November have always been cheaper 4 months out than 1 year out.  The ones that seem to go up from the start are the longer, repositioning cruises. Exception: We paid more for our 3/4/19 12 day out of Singapore on the Jewel in January, 2018, than the current prices.

I know that this is not a big ship versus small ship thread.  But in 2006 we sailed on the Splendour after having sailed on the then new Adventure, the ship just seemed shabby.  Sailed on the Radiance again this summer, and while we had a great time, there was no way it compared to the Ovation, the Anthem, the Oasis or the Symphony.  If they built new Radiance ships then I agree they are lovely ships and if I sailed to sail, then I would think maybe they could compare, but I like to be active, and only sail the old small ships for the itinerary, and the more intensive the better because those ships have seen better days.

jc

1 minute ago, xpcdoojk said:

I know that this is not a big ship versus small ship thread.  But in 2006 we sailed on the Splendour after having sailed on the then new Adventure, the ship just seemed shabby.  Sailed on the Radiance again this summer, and while we had a great time, there was no way it compared to the Ovation, the Anthem, the Oasis or the Symphony.  If they built new Radiance ships then I agree they are lovely ships and if I sailed to sail, then I would think maybe they could compare, but I like to be active, and only sail the old small ships for the itinerary, and the more intensive the better because those ships have seen better days.

jc

I think the bigger ships are much more cost effective when it comes to running them so I don't think they will ever make anything smaller than Quantum Class or so. 

9 hours ago, robandana said:

I think the bigger ships are much more cost effective when it comes to running them so I don't think they will ever make anything smaller than Quantum Class or so. 

Agree, and for me, who likes the flowrider, IFly, etc.  I love the big ships.  Downside is they are port limited due to size, especially Oasis class, which means often, I have no interest in the intineray.  Which is why I probably prefer Quantum class ships to all others.  Still small enough that the itineraries are not boring but with all of the hoops and whistles.  

There are some itineraries that you just have to sail small ships, and that is fine.

jc

On 12/14/2018 at 4:07 PM, MrCruzdoggie said:

So if a hotel caught on fire and closed you would be mad that they didn't put you up in the Ritz, correct? 

if I was booked at The Hyatt and they tried to shuttle me off to a Motel 6, I'd be ticked off.