Perk Packages Question

crash3x

41 minutes ago, lovetrauma said:

However can go to dinner with two other people that don't have the perk and just use two credits from both the first and second person to cover them? 

CAN I BUY DINNER FOR SOMEONE ELSE WITH MY SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE?

Specialty Dining Packages are sold individually and cannot be transferred. If you wish to pay for someone else’s dinner, you will have to pay regular prices.

On 12/14/2018 at 12:06 PM, DaCruiseBug said:

The 20% is a service charge...they’re NOT tips. Why can’t people understand that? A majority of that 20% you pay goes right into NCLs pockets.

People like us do NOT understand it BECAUSE we are told it is for TIPS !

51 minutes ago, Shippy said:

People like us do NOT understand it BECAUSE we are told it is for TIPS !

I cant tell you exactly how much of that $20 per person per day actually goes to the workers but I can guarantee you it’s in the single digits. NCL pockets the rest as a “service charge”. If 100% of that $20 would go to the workers I’d have no issue paying for it whatsoever. What irks me is NCL pocketing a majority of it.

14 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

I cant tell you exactly how much of that $20 per person per day actually goes to the workers but I can guarantee you it’s in the single digits. NCL pockets the rest as a “service charge”. If 100% of that $20 would go to the workers I’d have no issue paying for it whatsoever. What irks me is NCL pocketing a majority of it.

How do you know any of this?  Please enlighten us and point us to your source.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Do you any substantiation to back up this claim. Seems like an uninformed statement when NCL written statements are the opposite.  

10 minutes ago, senseib said:

How do you know any of this?  Please enlighten us and point us to your source.

I had a conversation with an NCL employee I met when I was in So Fla. No, not a ship employee...someone that works at HQ. That’s why a few years back NCL changed the name from gratuities and now they say “gratuities and service charges”. They legally couldn’t call them gratuities when a majority of they didn’t go to the employees.

8 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Do you any substantiation to back up this claim. Seems like an uninformed statement when NCL written statements are the opposite.  

Feel free to share the info from NCL that says the service charges on the UBP or dining plan go to workers. 

I’ve actually contacted NCL via email to see what they would say after I had that conversation with one of their employees and they wouldn’t give me any details. All I asked is if the service charges go to the employees, entirely or at least a majority, and they refused to answer saying that’s not information they make public.

If employees truly did get all the money from the $20 per person per day for the beverage package then why not just call them gratuities? There’s a reason their website calls it something different.

48 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

I had a conversation with an NCL employee I met when I was in So Fla. No, not a ship employee...someone that works at HQ. That’s why a few years back NCL changed the name from gratuities and now they say “gratuities and service charges”. They legally couldn’t call them gratuities when a majority of they didn’t go to the employees.

I had a conversation with an employee at HQ? LOL.   So all employees know everything about how funds are accounted for and distributed?  Is NCL a mom & pop operation?

49 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Feel free to share the info from NCL that says the service charges on the UBP or dining plan go to workers. 

I’ve actually contacted NCL via email to see what they would say after I had that conversation with one of their employees and they wouldn’t give me any details. All I asked is if the service charges go to the employees, entirely or at least a majority, and they refused to answer saying that’s not information they make public.

If employees truly did get all the money from the $20 per person per day for the beverage package then why not just call them gratuities? There’s a reason their website calls it something different.

You contacted the CFO of NCL and he wouldn't tell you how they do their accounting? Wow.  Shocking. LOL.

32 minutes ago, senseib said:

You contacted the CFO of NCL and he wouldn't tell you how they do their accounting? Wow.  Shocking. LOL.

Who said I contacted the CFO? I emailed NCL and asked them the question about the service charges. If they go to the workers or is it more of a “fee” and they refused to explain.

if you have nothing to hide then you don’t have a problem explaining it.

29 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Who said I contacted the CFO? I emailed NCL and asked them the question about the service charges. If they go to the workers or is it more of a “fee” and they refused to explain.

if you have nothing to hide then you don’t have a problem explaining it.

Who else in a public traded company would be authorized to divulge non-public accounting information other than the CFO or somebody authorized by the CFO?  You do realize that employees can be terminated for divulging any type of non-public information unless authorized.  

For a fair comparison you should contact every cruise line (or any company for that matter) and ask them how they distribute service charges.  I know you will get the same answer from all: "It's none of your business."

Edited by senseib

1 hour ago, senseib said:

Who else in a public traded company would be authorized to divulge non-public accounting information other than the CFO or somebody authorized by the CFO?  You do realize that employees can be terminated for divulging any type of non-public information unless authorized.  

For a fair comparison you should contact every cruise line (or any company for that matter) and ask them how they distribute service charges.  I know you will get the same answer from all: "It's none of your business."

Soecific details as to expenses and revenue are proprietary but info on what happens to a “service charge” is not. If you go to a restaurant and they add on 20% gratuity there’s nothing proprietary about asking them if the workers actually get that.

The reason I don’t have to contact other cruise lines is because others such as RCL and CCL don’t call them a service charge like NCL does. They call it strictly a gratuity. The amount they charge for it is also about 1/2 as much...but nice try.

WOW.

I AM THINKING ABOUT NCL FOR A CRUISE AND ASK A SIMPLE QUESTION IF I HAVE TO PAY 20 PER CENT MORE FOR A “FREE PERK” AND WAR BREAKS OUT ON MY VERY FIRST  POST ON THIS BOARD.. HOPE THE PEOPLE ON THE SHOP ARE NICER THAN THE POSTERS.

I FIGURED OUT THE ANSWER IS YES. THANKS.

SORRY TO SHOUT, BUT NOT SURE I COULD BE HEARD OVER THE “DIN” OF THE BULL***T.

THANKS FOR THOSE WHO GAVE ME THE SIMPLE ANSWER YES.

LOOKING FORWARD TO THE NCL CRUISE.

SKIP

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Guanaskip said:

WOW.

I AM THINKING ABOUT NCL FOR A CRUISE AND ASK A SIMPLE QUESTION IF I HAVE TO PAY 20 PER CENT MORE FOR A “FREE PERK” AND WAR BREAKS OUT ON MY VERY FIRST  POST ON THIS BOARD.. HOPE THE PEOPLE ON THE SHOP ARE NICER THAN THE POSTERS.

SKIP

WOW, you’re welcome, Skip 

We aim to please - everyone

and all enjoy a spirited conversation  😳

Edited by lyannea
Forgot

2 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:
2 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

The reason I donate have to contact other cruise lines is because others such as RCL and CCL donate call them a service charge like NCL does. They call it strictly a gratuity. The amount they charge for it is also about 1/2 as much...but nice try.

Please stop. Here's the exact words from CCL Premium Drink Package:

Premium Package

$69 USD/per night*

Just $14 per night more than Classic Package

Includes drinks up to $15 and those of the Standard and Classic beverage packages. An 18% service charge is added to each check. Wines by the bottle are discounted by 20%.

Edited by senseib

1 hour ago, Guanaskip said:

WOW.

SKIP

Sorry.  When somebody is dishing BS they need to be called out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, senseib said:

Please stop. Here's the exact words from CCL Premium Drink Package:

Premium Package

$69 USD/per night*

Just $14 per night more than Classic Package

Includes drinks up to $15 and those of the Standard and Classic beverage packages. An 18% service charge is added to each check. Wines by the bottle are discounted by 20%.

This is the exact wording from the Carnival website: Meanwhile this is what it says on the NCL website:

"The cost to pre-purchase CHEERS! prior to your cruise is $51.95 USD per person, per day plus 18% gratuity"

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1106/~/cheers!-beverage-program

Meanwhile this is what it says on the NCL website:

"$99.00 USD per person per day x Cruise Days plus 20% gratuity and beverage service charge."

https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/beverage-packages

The wording is key here.

1 minute ago, DaCruiseBug said:

This is the exact wording from the Carnival website: Meanwhile this is what it says on the NCL website:

"The cost to pre-purchase CHEERS! prior to your cruise is $51.95 USD per person, per day plus 18% gratuity"

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1106/~/cheers!-beverage-program

"$99.00 USD per person per day x Cruise Days plus 20% gratuity and beverage service charge."

The wording is key here.

The wording I quoted was from Celebrity Cruise Lines.

19 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

The wording is key here.

And from Princes:

"The Premier Beverage Package is US $59.99 per day plus 15% service charge (totaling $68.99 per day) for all itineraries except Australia. For all Australian-based vessels, the package is AUD $86.99 per day which includes a service charge. You will be charged the full amount for the complete voyage at the time of purchase. The package is not available for pre-purchase for voyages departing from and returning to Australia and New Zealand."

And from Cunard:

"The standard 15% service charge applied against all bar orders will be included under this promotion for all drinks ordered under the price threshold."

Do you want me to keep quoting more?

Edited by senseib
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, senseib said:

And from Princess:

"The Premier Beverage Package is US $59.99 per day plus 15% service charge (totaling $68.99 per day) for all itineraries except Australia. For all Australian-based vessels, the package is AUD $86.99 per day which includes a service charge. You will be charged the full amount for the complete voyage at the time of purchase. The package is not available for pre-purchase for voyages departing from and returning to Australia and New Zealand."

Do you want me to keep quoting more?

You're just proving my point.

If it's a service charge is doesn't go to the workers. If it's a gratuity it does.

Also:

NCL charges 20% of $99 per day = $138.6 per person per 7 day sailing

Princess charges 15% of $59.99 per day = $62.98 per person per 7 day sailing

Celebrity charges 18% of $69 per day = $86.94 per person per 7 day sailing
Carnival charges 18% of $51.95 per day = $65.45 per person per 7 day sailing

Royal Caribbean charges 18% which is included in the $55 per day = $58.72 per 7 day sailing

Do you actually think that the staff on NCL is getting paid double what the staff on other cruise lines is getting? Or do you use common sense and realize that NCL is pocketing a majority of that service fee?

Not to mention the fact that NCL has the highest percentage of travelers with that beverage package.

Let's look at the Escape:

4,184 passengers (2,092 staterooms x 2)

1,733 crew members

Out of that 4,266 I will use a conservative estimate and say that 60% have the beverage package. That's 2,559. Now take that and multiply it by the $138.6 per person and you get a whopping $354,677 in $$$$ for Norwegian on just 1 ship in 1 week. No, NCL doesn't have additional staff as the ratio of staff to passenger is 1 per 2.46 passengers. Meanwhile on a ship like the Oasis of the Seas it's  5,436 passengers (2718 staterooms) and 2,394 crew which comes out to 1 crew every 2.27 passengers.

7 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

You're just proving my point.

No.  You claimed you didn't need to ask the other cruise lines how they distributed service charges because nobody called them service charges. Obviously they do.

Also, the only real comparison across cruise lines is the total cost of a cruise for a similar itinerary, similar cabin and at a similar time; not just the beverage package.

2 hours ago, senseib said:

No.  You claimed you didn't need to ask the other cruise lines how they distributed service charges because nobody called them service charges. Obviously they do.

Also, the only real comparison across cruise lines is the total cost of a cruise for a similar itinerary, similar cabin and at a similar time; not just the beverage package.

Nowhere did I say that nobody called them service charges. Go back and read my post...it might help you do better when arguing with someone.

Whatever happened to the request to stop this childish exchange??

Unfortunately, many view CC posts as a zero-sum game...for them to “ win”, the other person has to “lose”.

You’ve both made your point, ad nauseum!

By the way, thanks for the tip!