Mardi Gras - Roller Coaster

Mikew0805

30 minutes ago, coevan said:

The rides close for the safety of the guests. Maybe they are a little over cautious, but big seas or too much wind can make the rides dangerous

I get that but what's the point of putting an attraction on a ship that's closed half the time? We'll be on Vista in June and my 10 YO grandson will be unlivable if the Sky Ride is closed all week, as it so often is! If they can't sustain and maintain it during off hours then what's the point in adding it?

I seriously hope this works, but I'm afraid it will be a boondoggle!

Well for me....I would ride that thing in a heartbeat!  Also, it's electric driven, not gravity like most coasters, so it might not be closed as often as you all think.  As for the amusement park thing, sorry, that ship sailed years ago with Carnival. Besides, they're just options.  No one's forcing anyone to do it.  😉

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

Well for me....I would ride that thing in a heartbeat!  Also, it's electric driven, not gravity like most coasters, so it might not be closed as often as you all think.  As for the amusement park thing, sorry, that ship sailed years ago with Carnival. Besides, they're just options.  No one's forcing anyone to do it.  😉

How does electric driven mean it won’t be closed as often?  If anything, it likely means the coaster will be closed more often. 

3 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Carnival and electricity should never be combined in the same train of thought.  Nothing good can come of that unholy union.  😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Love roller coasters. My username proves it. I go on cruises to get away from experiences on land. The connection to the sea without gimmicks is why cruises are unique to me. Floating amusement parks are not for me. I will go to Busch Gardens, Universal or Sea World for a good coaster experience.

Edited by coaster

I think this is a pretty cool idea. Nothing that decides my vacation, but something I would definitely try. 

My biggest concern is I hope it's out of the way of common areas. I don't want people puking on me because they ate and drank too much. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Salt Wind said:

I just pray no kids are plunged into the ocean.  Ohhh, my heart aches worrying about it. :classic_sad:

That thought crossed my mind with NCL’s new go kart tracks. What if someone looses control and the wall doesn’t contain the kart? I’m sure (I hope) that they are built to whitstand such an impact, but still. 

I don't remember if YouTube links are allowed here, but I've actually been on the EXACT type of roller coaster they're putting on the ship.  It's in Germany and it's the only one in the world until next year when a second one is being built in Italy. 

It's actually the perfect 'coaster' for a ship as it's powered so it won't be affected as much by waves, weight,  or weather. 

If you skip to 33 seconds on this video you can see a POV of the ride, me riding it, and some of our friends riding it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oERDZdb14fY

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sharktums said:

I don't remember if YouTube links are allowed here, but I've actually been on the EXACT type of roller coaster they're putting on the ship.  It's in Germany and it's the only one in the world until next year when a second one is being built in Italy. 

It's actually the perfect 'coaster' for a ship as it's powered so it won't be affected as much by waves, weight,  or weather. 

If you skip to 33 seconds on this video you can see a POV of the ride, me riding it, and some of our friends riding it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oERDZdb14fY

They say that you can control the speed, yourself?  It really doesn't go very fast, it looks like. 

15 minutes ago, Thorncroft said:

They say that you can control the speed, yourself?  It really doesn't go very fast, it looks like. 

Basically depending on how you 'rev it up' on the first launch you can go a minimum or maximum speed. If you let go of the throttle completely it will still keep going, just at a slower pace 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharktums said:

Actually, I think that looks fun. 

Either way, I will be sailing on the Mardi Gras! 

As I said in another posting on this subject, how many of us have seen on TV where a roller coaster has stalled on one of the hills and they had to get a fire truck with an aerial ladder to rescue the riders.  Even if it is motor driven, things break down.  How will they rescue the passengers if one does break down out on the track?   What happens if it did break down mid ride and there were young kids on it?  Can you imagine the panicking of not only the kids but their parents down below.

I've been stuck at the top of the hill on Cedar Point's Magnum for over ten minutes.  Believe me, it's not fun.  Hot, humid and trying to keep young kids behind us from panicking.   I think they're pushing the envelope a little too far on this one.

As for the  question of soot buildup by the stacks they simply can build a tunnel or tube by that section the cart can drive through.  For naysayers, keep in mind the Disney coaster is one solid tube throughout the entire course. 

54 minutes ago, rolloman said:

As for the  question of soot buildup by the stacks they simply can build a tunnel or tube by that section the cart can drive through.  For naysayers, keep in mind the Disney coaster is one solid tube throughout the entire course. 

There's going to be enough wind resistance at that height as it is without adding tunnels.  But if you will notice the rail goes around the stack and leads aft of the ship. The soot would follow the wind at that direction. So we're talking down wind. Should they build a tunnel around the entire track ?   But all this is just speculation and this thread wont amount to a hill of beans when it's all said and done , there going to build it .

13 minutes ago, Melissalcsw said:

Can you imagine the lines for this? Only two people per car?

And with people waiting on line for the ride, there will be less congestion in other areas of the ship. 

Cruisers can do what I did on the Horizon for that Skyride:  stay on the ship during a worthless port like Amber Cove and there will be a minimal wait for the ride.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, evandbob said:

And with people waiting on line for the ride, there will be less congestion in other areas of the ship. 

Cruisers can do what I did on the Horizon for that Skyride:  stay on the ship during a worthless port like Amber Cove and there will be a minimal wait for the ride.

I agree, this will definitely be a port activity.