The”show” is spilling out of Eden

cruisestitch

3 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Merry Christmas to them.  Hopefully that will reduce the demand for S class ships and that will keep the fares lower.

I actually love the S class as well, with that huge beautiful atrium. And we’ve had great cruises on the M class. I wouldn’t want to take an Edge class ship on every cruise, but it’s got so many unique features that it’s a fun change of pace. Looking forward to our TA next fall on the Apex.

17 minutes ago, BarbarianPaul said:

And Eden, during the day time, is for us a great place to just curl up and read a good book. Those two chairs hanging from the ceiling are super comfortable.

Ah, you’ve found our favorite Eden spot.

Happy Holidays.

14 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Merry Christmas to them.  Hopefully that will reduce the demand for S class ships and that will keep the fares lower.

Probably not.  It seems S-class and E-class ships only compete with each other in the hearts and minds of a few of the 5% of the cruisers who actually are members of Cruise Critic.  Not a big number if you think about it!

Happy Holidays!

17 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I initially liked the idea of the IV balcony, I assumed there would be the same amount of space on the balcony the same amount of space in the cabin.  From my perspective I don't think they appreciated how people really use the balconies.  I don't think the appreciated that many people like to eat meals on the balcony.  I don't think that they appreciated how often one person is enjoying the balcony and the other person wants a separate space inside to sleep or do something else.   Unless you have exact measurements from cabins on several ships it's difficult to compare, but the combination of balcony and cabin space appears to be nearly the same on E class and S class ships.  However the difference seems to be the E class ships have larger bathrooms and king size beds (both of these would be desirable) and in order to make room for these features they've made the balconies smaller.  In addition area required to swing the French doors open also required more space be taken away from the balcony.  The result is a balcony that is too small for the reclining hairs and a large table that are on the S class ships.  The low back chairs on the IV balconies are far less comfortable than the high back reclining chairs and that little table is useless for eating.  Many people have reported that they don't really use the French doors because they need to re-arrange furniture each time they open and close the doors.  This has led to the common observation that the IV balconies are often perceived as an ocean view cabin with a large picture window.  So yes, I think the IV balconies were poorly executed because they made the wrong trade-offs and reduced the balcony size and the French doors really aren't functional.

In addition I don't think they appreciated how many people like the forward facing Sky lounge as well as forward facing open deck space.  The Edge eliminated this type of space for the non-suite guests.

Hopefully, this helps you understand why I suggest that the IV balconies were poorly executed.  Unless Celebrity makes the Apex and other ships wider, unlikely to happen, I think this is an inherent problem.  Given the space they want to allocate to the cabin interior, they don't have a way to make the balcony deeper.  

IP

IP- thanks for the coherent and informative summary.  I still would say poorly designed vs. poorly executed but just semantics.  Your points are all good and will be helpful to cruisers here considering "To IV or To Not IV" in their future.  When we sailed Edge we did a suite and it had a real balcony (but still no footstools!).

On 12/23/2019 at 4:39 PM, ipeeinthepool said:

Yet you belittle our experiences and try to send new people to S class ships because you weren't ready for the ship. That's going to lower our fares, not yours.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mojogurued said:

Yet you belittle our experiences and try to send new people to S class ships because you weren't ready for the ship. That's going to lower our fares, not yours.

WOW, you must be reading another thread.  How does the fact that many of us believe there are inherent design flaws with the Edge class ships that don't suit the needs of many passengers belittle your experience?  Your experience is your experience.  However there need to be balanced discussion of these new ships.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

WOW, you must be reading another thread.  How does the fact that many of us believe there are inherent design flaws with the Edge class ships that don't suit the needs of many passengers belittle your experience?  Your experience is your experience.  However there need to be balanced discussion of these new ships.

You nailed it.

My wife and I would not work out in an Infinite Veranda.  I sit on the balcony while she gets ready for the evening.  She curls her hair, makeup, etc.  If we were to open the window then all of the humidity would come in and she would get swamp hair. It would be unusable for us.  Plus it is rather small.  It really is not a balcony.  I have never been on a ship with so many complaints.  On day one people were complaining about the infinite verandas.  The funny part is people were complaining about the infinite verandas on the windy Magic Carpet.

But for people that do not really use their balcony it can be a plus as it makes the small room a bit bigger.

I also miss the Sky Lounge and many other places on S class.

If I had realized the design of the ship  I would have never booked.  Many of the highlights of the Edge are flawed.  We found the Magic Carpet to be rather windy as well as the Rooftop Grill.  The Rooftop Grill did not have this problem on S class.  

Yep I am definitely not ready for a smaller balcony with an open/close window.  I was not ready for all of the entertainment venues that were cut and/or consolidated into bigger loud and shouty venues.

In general I think that the cruise industry is building bigger ships for more revenue.  I don't view this trend as good for my cruising style.

Edited by NMTraveller

5 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Good luck with putting Edge down nonstop and expecting it to help lower your S fares. You actually helping us.

17 minutes ago, Mojogurued said:

Good luck with putting Edge down nonstop and expecting it to help lower your S fares. You actually helping us.

No one poster will affect any fares of any ship on any cruise line, ever. Do you honestly think people hold individual posters in such high esteem? There are a few excellent reviewers on here, but I'll still continue to think for myself. Just like everyone else. 

Merry xmas. 

Here I thought the Edge bashing had stopped. We are inside and Oceanview cruisers by choice, because the fancy rooms and concierge perks were unused by us in the past on other lines and a waste of money. The Edge inside room was one of the nicer rooms we have had, if anything it had too much storage. 

For us as new cruisers to Celebrity we really liked the Edge, and based on the boards comments and people on the Edge we are staying away from the other ships  for now. We do have a forward facing oceanview booked on the Apex because the room setup looks awesome compared to a similar room we had on RCCL. 

I have given up defending my viewpoint because we aren’t the core customer group that sails Celebrity. After the Apex we will likely go back to RCCL for a while. Maybe in time we will branch out to the other ships but not for a while unless the boss says so. 

9 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

You nailed it.

My wife and I would not work out in an Infinite Veranda.  I sit on the balcony while she gets ready for the evening.  She curls her hair, makeup, etc.  If we were to open the window then all of the humidity would come in and she would get swamp hair. It would be unusable for us.  Plus it is rather small.  It really is not a balcony.  I have never been on a ship with so many complaints.  On day one people were complaining about the infinite verandas.  The funny part is people were complaining about the infinite verandas on the windy Magic Carpet.

But for people that do not really use their balcony it can be a plus as it makes the small room a bit bigger.

I also miss the Sky Lounge and many other places on S class.

If I had realized the design of the ship  I would have never booked.  Many of the highlights of the Edge are flawed.  We found the Magic Carpet to be rather windy as well as the Rooftop Grill.  The Rooftop Grill did not have this problem on S class.  

Yep I am definitely not ready for a smaller balcony with an open/close window.  I was not ready for all of the entertainment venues that were cut and/or consolidated into bigger loud and shouty venues.

In general I think that the cruise industry is building bigger ships for more revenue.  I don't view this trend as good for my cruising style.

There is absolute truth in that statement.  But they are a business with shareholders after all.  Imagine if the industry could not increase revenue and profits by attracting new passengers with new ships. It is all about expanding their market.  They would like to keep us current cruisers too but they kind of count on that.  If some of the current cruisers don't like E-Class they will go back to S-Class and M-Class.  It is nice that money is being spent on those ships too.  There is nothing wrong with introducing new concepts like Edge and trying to attract a new generation of cruise buyers.  It is not for everybody - so just buy a cruise on another ship.  Nothing wrong with that either.  

• Like 1

In terms of S class ship pricing, my wife and I are doing a back to back in the Caribbean on a 10 day cruise on the Equinox in aqua class followed by a 7 day Royal Caribbean cruise in a standard cabin with a larger balcony. In spite of the three additional days, the cruise on the Equinox is less expensive.

• 3 months later...
On 12/25/2019 at 4:37 AM, cruise47 said:

We loved EDEN during the day a very nice place to enjoy a meal, to read, to relax  and to enjoy the many ocean views . It was liked the Sky Lounge in a sense but EDEN is located in the AFT of the ship.

Don't we wish people had these petty problems still? All that uproar over nothing. It can't be any more obvious today.

I would like to be on Edge or Apex right now. Enjoying Eden and all the other amenities.

• Like 2