Any Canadians concerned about cruising to China ?

bennybear

Yes.  Check out my post about husband being concerned.  It's on the Asia forum.

We sail out of Shanghai on March 3rd and he is nervous about us using the 144 hr transit without visa.  We fly direct non-stop from Toronto to Shanghai on March 1st arriving the 2nd.  We board on the 3rd and stay overnight sailing on March 4th.

I'm not as concerned as we are only passing through and not getting a 10 year visa which now requires fingerprints as of Nov 27th.  Plus the 2 Canadians that are being detained are businessmen and not tourists.

Which sailing are you doing?  Where in Canada do you reside?

Edited by Betty in Cozumel

Yes, I would be concerned.  China has made it clear that there will be severe repercussions already.  News broadcasts carry warnings.

What is strange is that as of yesterday the official travel advisory hadn't been changed.

• Like 1

We're following the news with great interest.  We certainly aren't high profile people, so there's little chance of us being scooped off the streets, but it pays to be aware of what's going on. 

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Betty in Cozumel said:

"not getting a 10 year visa which now requires fingerprints as of Nov 27th. " 

I was on the Westerdam on the October 15th sailing Yokohama to Hong Kong.  Just so you know, you will very likely  be fingerprinted and have your photo taken on immigration  entry to China. I have a 10 year visa, had been to China before on that visa  and mine were taken again. From Hong Kong I also went over to Shenzen, China. Again they verified that my fingerprints and photo were in the system before I was passed through immigration. The 10 year visa is easy to get and certainly saves a lot of trouble if you are ever going back to China when all the dust has settled from this current issue.

Here's a totally different problem - I was 2 days in Shanghai last spring.  Developed severe respiratory problems - the air there is so polluted you can cut it with a knife.  Many of the passengers had the same problem.  

• Like 1

Appreciate the discussion.  I am not personally worried,  but concerned things could become difficult or not, who knows.  As we are very near final payment we are weighing our options.  Would hate to take a cruise and not be allowed off the ship if things further disintegrated.

Personlly, I would make sure you had a visa if your cruise ship goes to China. You risk being put ashore. That is what happened recently to an American. The Chinese government wouldn’t even allow them to stay on the ship. I wouldn’t trust the 144 transit. https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-advice/travellers-stories/embarrassed-couples-booking-mistake-a-lesson-for-us-all/news-story/0b7cf31e6969813f9c1a45ea3bcd8a79

As for being fingerprinted. There are quite a few countries that require fingerprints. China is not the only one. Get your visa and enjoy your cruise. 

Storylady:  This couple did not understand that they would be visiting more than one port in China and therefore required a visa.  It was totally their own fault.

As for us; we are sailing on the Westerdam leaving from Shanghai and then going on to Japan, S. Korea, Taiwan, Manila and then disembarking in Hong Kong.  A transit without visa is totally acceptable and has been done by other people also sailing from Shanghai.

Canadian citizens using a Canadian passport do not need a visa to enter Hong Kong for tourism purposes under 90 days duration.  We have no plans to travel to the mainland, so that's one less detail to have to take care of.

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

23 hours ago, iancal said:

It is not uncommon in SE Asia to have your finger prints taken.  It is typically done electronically as you enter the country.  They take them again as you leave the country.  

I believe the US does this also.