1st time on Norwegian...cabin location and size

Just love 2 cruise

Hello fellow cruisers

I am an experienced cruiser with another cruise line and am taking my first cruise on Norwegian with my nephew, his wife and two children 8 & 6 yrs next May. They are not cruisers. I am in the process of trying to decide on the various cabin categories..there are so many...that might be suitable. They would be in one cabin and I in another. 

My TA has indicated she can get me joining cabins on deck 12 directly opposite the Splash Academy. Both are called Family mini suites, M2 and a M3. Not sure the room is big enough for the family of four even with one bed dropping from the ceiling for one of the children. Once the couch is made up into a bed is there still room to move around? The balcony looks so tiny I cannot imagine a family of four being able to sit outside on it but perhaps the picture is deceiving? If the cabin is joining does anyone know if the balcony can be opened between cabins as well? 

Another option is the mini suites with larger balconies on Deck 8 but I am wondering if noise will be a factor as it appears many of the restaurants are there and it is the front of the ship (I must admit I usually cruise aft) so being in the front may be bumpy or noisy when the drop the anchor?

I have been reading the reviews that others have posted and I have a lot to learn about this cruise line especially with the multitude of dining options, however first things first...location, location, and size.

What cabin category or deck level would you recommend? 

Thank you

Jan

Aka...Just Love 2 Cruise

It seems that you are looking at either Breakaway or Getaway ("... The balcony looks so tiny...")

1 hour ago, Just love 2 cruise said:

If the cabin is joining does anyone know if the balcony can be opened between cabins as well? 

The official policy is that the dividers are not to be opened for passenger enjoyment (the dividers serve as a fire safety feature) but you might find a room steward willing to break policy with the expectation of a tip. 

(I must admit I usually cruise aft)

Again, I'm guessing Breakaway or Getaway and if so, most of the aft-facing balconies are very large (they differ by deck and differ in width) but they only sleep 3. You could book 1 child with you and just have the child sleep in the parents' stateroom.

If you look at the deck plans for the Breakaway they do put the balcony and room sq ft next to the cabin type. I do see that most of them are 32 sq ft  - not much room for a family of 4. Most people rave about the cabins on deck 8 - they say those huge balconies are the best. Like you I prefer aft but agree that those cabins usually come at a price.  As for anchor drop noise I doubt if you will hear anything in any of those cabins - as for being close to the Oceanfront - I also don't feel that would be an issue - any more than being next to Splash Academy. Much better than being above the Lounge!  My vote would be to snag one of those deck 8 cabins

we are going to be on the Getaway in 2 days. We got balcony cabins 12884 (us) and 9712 (mom) - they were guarantee cabins, so no choice on the matter. 9712 is a Large balcony cabin. I highly recommend that for a family of 4. The cabin size is the same, but the balcony is larger.

We will be swapping cabins with mom upon arrival. She'll be fine in a cabin with a regular (tiny) balcony in the back, and we will be better off with a larger balcony, forward. I don't like aft balconies.

I wouldn't get anything next to the Splash academy or under the restaurants, arcades, pools, or above the theater, etc.

Connecting would be ideal but it appears the ones with the larger balconies are not connecting. With a family of four I do not think my nephew and his family would be comfortable with those tiny balconies unless they take turns going outside...lol. So I think I will give up connecting and be next door. Outdoor space is important to me

Thank you for the information, I was also thinking it might be noisy next to splash academy. May I ask how old your children are...would they enjoy going to splash academy. Also do you know how much evening child minding costs? I see that it is possible to have a children’s group evening event so the parents could enjoy some time alone and I am not sure if it is an extra charge? 

Since my nephew has not cruised I want their first experience with their young children to be positive and relaxing for all. 

Thank you for the information, I was also thinking it might be noisy next to splash academy. May I ask how old your children are...would they enjoy going to splash academy. Also do you know how much evening child minding costs? I see that it is possible to have a children’s group evening event so the parents could enjoy some time alone and I am not sure if it is an extra charge? 

Since my nephew has not cruised I want their first experience with their young children to be positive and relaxing for all. 

kids are all different. Mine's 7.5 yo, and he refuses to go to the kid's club. He's been cruising since he was 3. A month ago he agreed to go for 2 hours and he enjoyed himself very much, but refused to go back. He has separation anxiety issues, which are getting better with age.... :) Our friends' kids love going to the kids club while cruising.

I do believe kid's club before 10 pm is free, and after 10 pm there is a $6 per hour charge, or something like that. I am not sure how much - I have the papers from the last cruise at home. If I don't forget, I'll look it up tonight. Kid's club on NCL ships is pretty active and hands on, rather than sticking them in front of the video games. If your nephew's kids are more or less social, they'll like the kid's club.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

7 hours ago, Just love 2 cruise said:

We were one of the closest cabins near the splash academy on the Breakaway, never heard a thing.