Jump to content
chriswat

QE Queens Grill attire

Recommended Posts

We will be on Queen Elizabeth around New Zealand in March in Queens Grill.   There are three Gala evenings..... in previous voyages in Grills my husband wore his dinner suit.   However other nights are smart attire which I gather would mean a jacket but does this mean a tie or would collared shirt without tie be acceptable.

The previous voyage in QG was 2010 on Queen Mary, and in 2015 in Princess Grill on Queen  Victoria but I don’t have a memory of the smart attire !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cunard renamed their dress codes earlier this year, Smart Attire is the new name for Informal. Tie is optional.

 

"Smart Attire:
Gentlemen, every night we request you wear smart trousers with a shirt and jacket; tie is optional. Ladies, blouses and skirts or stylish trousers and dresses are welcome. "

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On our cruise on QE last year there were many who just wore a jacket and collared shirt without a tie on smart attire evenings in QG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my experiences in over 20 trips in QG on all three ships (and QE too), the vast majority of men do wear ties in QG on the "smart" evenings.

 

Maybe we've just been lucky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, cruiseluvva said:

We have also travelled QG 20+ times my husband very often wears a jacket without a tie.

On formal evenings? Or on smart attire evenings? Every now and again, I used to travel on other cruise lines, generally because they went out of a local port, and I saw men and women, in all forms of dress, if you can call it that. The reason I prefer and now only travel with Cunard is because passengers dress like ladies and Gentlemen. For me that means formal wear on formal evenings, and ties at dinner. But then I am an old fart, having grown up in a time when people tried to look their best in public. 

Edited by Bigmike911

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We have hundreds of nights in Queens Grill under our belts, the majority since the rule change on ties for smart attire nights and I would say the percentage of tie wearers changes cruise on cruise as it depends entirely on passenger preference  on that particular cruise and so a definitive answer can't be given.
 
On  world cruise segments, the percentage  of tie wearers changes night on night on Queen Victoria and I imagine a similar situation existing on QE. You can take one or two to ring the changes if you like but you don't have to and you won't be the odd one out if you don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Victoria2 said:
We have hundreds of nights in Queens Grill under our belts, the majority since the rule change on ties for smart attire nights and I would say the percentage of tie wearers changes cruise on cruise as it depends entirely on passenger preference  on that particular cruise and so a definitive answer can't be given.
 
On  world cruise segments, the percentage  of tie wearers changes night on night on Queen Victoria and I imagine a similar situation existing on QE. You can take one or two to ring the changes if you like but you don't have to and you won't be the odd one out if you don't.

Should say

We have hundreds of nights in Queens Grill under our belts, the majority since the rule change on ties. For smart attire nights, I would say the percentage ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My memory is that Smart Attire is most like the lowest of the three old tiers (Informal?) where jackets but not ties were prescribed.

 

Going to two tiers has lightened my suitcase slightly as I used to pack a blue blazer, a grey suit and a tuxedo for the three-tier voyages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2018 at 9:29 PM, chriswat said:

We will be on Queen Elizabeth around New Zealand in March in Queens Grill.   There are three Gala evenings..... in previous voyages in Grills my husband wore his dinner suit.   However other nights are smart attire which I gather would mean a jacket but does this mean a tie or would collared shirt without tie be acceptable.

The previous voyage in QG was 2010 on Queen Mary, and in 2015 in Princess Grill on Queen  Victoria but I don’t have a memory of the smart attire !

I will be on the same cruise and also in Queen's Grill. I would expect a tie would be expected in the QG dining room with a suit jacket at dinner on 'informal' nights. It  certainly looks much nicer than a suit and business shirt with no tie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I will be on the same cruise and also in Queen's Grill. I would expect a tie would be expected in the QG dining room with a suit jacket at dinner on 'informal' nights. It  certainly looks much nicer than a suit and business shirt with no tie.

There's no need for any expectations  as far as wearing a tie or not is concerned on smart attire, or non gala nights as both codes have a guide and it's up to each individual to decide if the night will be a tie night or not. The individual main restaurant, Britannia to Queens Grill has no bearing on the decision.

 

The art of going tieless is in the choosing of an appropriate shirt. I quite agree an open collared business shirt does look wanting in the neck attire department

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blazers with open neck dress shirt are “smart looking.” 

Three weeks or more with constant tie wearing gets old very soon especially for those who do not have to ever wear ties in their real lives. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many thanks for yourreplies.....we will pack the dinner suit for 3 Gala evenings and a blazer and tie for the other nights.....we look forward to cruising in the Grills once again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The dress code for QG is identical to the rest of ship, QG is no more formal. The smart attire dress code doesn't need a tie so it's completely up to yourself. In my opinion if you are going to wear a suit then it requires a tie, but if you choose a jacket or blazer with a matching smart casual shirt,  it looks fine without a tie , especially if its not a plain shirt, a plain shirt might need a tie. The shirt and jacket will define wether you need a tie, not what other people are wearing.  However it's not for anyone to comment on anyone else's attire as long as they follow the dress code.  Have a great cruise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×