Question about train from London to Edinburgh

FSU Girl

3 hours ago, john watson said:

For future trips, looking at Rail Inclusive Breaks can drop the train fare significantly.  It is hotel and rail integrated and dates back historically to when British Railways owned the hotels as I understand it. The upgrade to first on my trip was very small.

Regards John

I find booking the train 12 weeks in advance is the way to go. We are cruising from Southampton in February and we're stopping  off en-route in Buckinghamshire to visit friends. For both of us the total cost to travel first class from Edinburgh to Milton Keynes is just over £80 

I returned from Edinburgh en route to London on a Sunday when there was scheduled “engineering” and it took about 8 hours to complete the journey. The change of trains in York was probably only a half hour. The train was rolling at only 10mph at times. It was what it was. 

Just make sure you’ve planned accordingly (that is, your sightseeing, lodgings, any ensuing transport etc) and your onboard entertainment such as podcasts, music, reading, knitting, games, backup batteries charged, snacks and beverages which leads to....

Seriously consider the first class ticket if you absolutely must travel on Sunday. Trust me: you want that bigger seat with free food and beverages on an extended journey. I come from the city of traffic and train delays, often for absolutely NO reasons at all but also, the very very common weekend track work (I’m not sure we’d groan less if they’d call it engineering but it sure sounds nicer 🤪) so if there’s ever a way to make endurance travel easier, you want to avail yourself of that opportunity every time! 

But one strong strong positive is that you’ll be returning to London (💙) with memories you’re only just beginning to sort through from Edinburgh (💕💕) that will definitely provide great enchantment as the train slowly meanders along the way back to London. 

Or....do what I maybe ought to have done: get off in Durham and hang for a day. A lovely man in St Giles told me that their Cathedral and this city was something to behold and I do know this is true. Also, Monday or Tuesday would have been much better for riding to London time wise. I had a Brit-rail pass so it was flexible. Probably I was less adventurous back then but also I had people expecting me on Tadley. 

Dont worry too much about the luggage. Keep valuables on/in/near you always and use good locks and/or straps on your bags on the racks. Make them very noticeable - things that stand out aren’t going to be too appealing to someone looking to grab something and run. “Did you see someone running with a black bag?” A black bag? Got one? Stick some bright colors all over it!!! Put a bell on it. There’s lots of ways to make your bag less inviting to someone that might be keen on a snatch and run. Definitely ways to avoid anyone opening your bags and taking important stuff. Anyway, we give them our bags to take away a few hours before a flight right? Its all random. 

If this is one of your first big trips though, I get it...valid concerns. But all you need to do is address whatever concerns you, think it through, consider your options, implement a plan and own it. Now you’re in control. These are the steps that ensure that you are and always will be in control of solving problems big or small. You jot this. 

Switch over to having fun planning your stay in Edinburgh. 😎🏼☮️

Host Bonjour you were very unlucky with your slow 8 hour journey due to engineering

engineering work tends to take place on Sundays but not every Sunday

LNER website updates regularly on planned engineering work

I agree with your recommendation to visit Durham and its cathedral-well I would it's only 10 miles from where I live

it is a very compact city and walkable distance from train station and one of the main stops on Edinburgh to London route

The castle and cathedral are visible for miles around as set in a high defensive position on a meander on the river Wear which means it is almost on an island

Even better  this year after having repair work on the main tower the scaffolding and canvas are due to be removed so back to glorious photo ops

and of course I should mention a summer open air Epic show Kynren 10 miles away-google it!  

• 1 month later...

I booked my train tickets today yay! Did first class both ways since it wasn't too much more than normal seats. It was weird though I could select the seats on the trip up to Scotland, but they were assigned for the trip back and I couldn't change them, just could change the preferences. Excited though, my trip is coming up soon.

29 minutes ago, Thejuggler said:

Assuming its an LNER service you will get some of the extra cost back from the first class free food and drink offer.

Yes it’s the LNER train. Free food and drink sounds good