Man Overboard

champagne123

My niece, her husband and their two-year-old son were on this ship. She texted me at 4am CT this morning, and the captain was already making announcements at that time. They conducted a cabin by cabin search and turned back to the area where they believe he fell overboard (the ship's cameras recorded his fall).  Once the coast guard arrived to their location, they were cleared to return to port.  They just docked an hour or so ago.

She said that the captain and crew were amazing throughout and kept everyone informed.  He was a young man...this is so incredibly sad.

15 minutes ago, HillBilly Bob said:

Carnival Victory just returned from Cozumel and is in Miami right now?  The news just said a 26 year old man went overboard.  Search going on right now.  

• Is this "story" actually eight years old now?  

The article Jenny linked is dated today.

I was on the ship.

4am announcements started looking for him.

4:30 knock on the door with picture asking if we saw him.

5am confirmed overboard by video and heading back to location at full speed. Looking at map channel we were almost in port when announcements started. 

Around 11 am recieved notification that coast guard released us from the search and heading back to port at full speed.

3 pm docked

3:30 allowed off 

Waiting for flight now at MIA.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Bobbysjack said:

Did Carnival make accommodations for missed flights? 

Just curious why would they? They certainly can't be held responsible for something totally out of their control.

Never read Carnival's contract in its entirety, but I'd be willing to bet there is language to what they  are/aren't accountable for.

Edited by beerman2

I have a good friend who is a TA and who was on this sailing. He commented on FB that it appears that the passenger jumped  intentionally after a dispute with his significant other. 

3 hours ago, Tapi said:

I have a good friend who is a TA and who was on this sailing. He commented on FB that it appears that the passenger jumped  intentionally after a dispute with his significant other. 

I was on there as well and nobody was saying anything like that.

That said, you do not just fall off a cruise ship. Either jump, pushed or drunk and stupid. 

As sad as it is, I wish these kind of stories would stay out of the news. Sure most people here understand what "falling off" a cruise ship looks like, but it's not the same when it hits the mainstream. People have their own incorrect opinions, and everyone is always a victim. This kind of stuff gives cruising a bad name. With the info we have, it seems like it has little to do with cruising at all. It this man did the exact same thing on land, it wouldn't get 10% of the attention.

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

As sad as it is, I wish these kind of stories would stay out of the news. Sure most people here understand what "falling off" a cruise ship looks like, but it's not the same when it hits the mainstream. People have their own incorrect opinions, and everyone is always a victim. This kind of stuff gives cruising a bad name. With the info we have, it seems like it has little to do with cruising at all. It this man did the exact same thing on land, it wouldn't get 10% of the attention.

There are a number of suicides every year in the Grand Canyon and you rarely read about it.  

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

There are a number of suicides every year in the Grand Canyon and you rarely read about it.  

There seems to be something about the allure of the sea that gets these stories reported. The media is Seattle, TV Radio and Print, have had an operating agreement since the 50s not to report suicides on the advice of mental health professionals. It is believed that more individuals will follow and take their life as well due to reporting.

Just now, sanmarcosman said:

There seems to be something about the allure of the sea that gets these stories reported. The media is Seattle, TV Radio and Print, have had an operating agreement since the 50s not to report suicides on the advice of mental health professionals. It is believed that more individuals will follow and take their life as well due to reporting.

I see the cruise horror stories many times pushed by that lifeboat-chaser attorney out of Florida.  Many communities used to have 24 hour free suicide hotlines and those have fallen by the wayside.  

3 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

I see the cruise horror stories many times pushed by that lifeboat-chaser attorney out of Florida.  Many communities used to have 24 hour free suicide hotlines and those have fallen by the wayside.  

FYI There's a national 24 hour toll free suicide hotline. https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

• Like 2