USB ports on Caribbean Princess

tempus137

Hmm.  We were on the Ruby Princess, last week.  She was in drydock in October--just over a month ago.  No USB ports in our cabin.  Again, though, we brought our USB power hub and were able to charge cameras, tablets and phones with it.

15 minutes ago, tempus137 said:

Thanks for the responses. I already have a USB power hub, but I was hoping for something a little faster.

Get one or more for something like $4 each and use all 2A chargers you want. 

5683E565-A930-4E79-AE16-B88B40C23856.jpeg

The three prong plug is a great add on, but find extension cords are better as you can move the items away from work areas. Also, there are extra outlets behind the tv. I have always plugged the USB chargers into a cord there as it is out of the way.

1 hour ago, TheRabbit said:

extension cords are better as you can move the items away from work areas. 

IMO definitely NOT better. Too much excess cord to deal with. The cube tap keeps everything very tidy. Took an extension cord on a recent 14 day cruise   It never left the suitcase. 

WALDT

1 hour ago, Ep010835 said:

IMO definitely NOT better. Too much excess cord to deal with. The cube tap keeps everything very tidy. Took an extension cord on a recent 14 day cruise   It never left the suitcase. 

WALDT

Not every thing I have is USB charged. I like the idea of the 12 amp multi port charger, but my camera needs its own plug for charging. 

As for tidy, if everything is on the shelf by the tv, there is no mess as long as you do USB and other cord management.

Edited by TheRabbit

57 minutes ago, TheRabbit said:

Not every thing I have is USB charged. I like the idea of the 12 amp multi port charger, but my camera needs its own plug for charging. 

As for tidy, if everything is on the shelf by the tv, there is no mess as long as you do USB and other cord management.

Practically speaking, everything needs its own plug. Hence the beauty of a cube tap. Everything plugs into one place. 

Be aware that not every cabin has a "shelf by the tv" so one size definitely does not fit all. I'm happy your arrangement works for you. But it's definitely not better for all. Not for me certainly. I anticipated using an extension cord to keep things tidy but the cube tap worked so much better in every way for my particular application. Cube tap into the outlet above the desk and everything plugged into it. Very, very tidy. And functional.

Unless of course, one has a Hamster Charger available. Clearly the most elegant solution of all! 

19 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

Practically speaking, everything needs its own plug. Hence the beauty of a cube tap. Everything plugs into one place. 

Be aware that not every cabin has a "shelf by the tv" so one size definitely does not fit all. I'm happy your arrangement works for you. But it's definitely not better for all. Not for me certainly. I anticipated using an extension cord to keep things tidy but the cube tap worked so much better in every way for my particular application. Cube tap into the outlet above the desk and everything plugged into it. Very, very tidy. And functional.

Unless of course, one has a Hamster Charger available. Clearly the most elegant solution of all! 

I also bring a laptop to down load pictures from the camera. As I mentioned above, I do like the idea of the cube, just have too many other devices that are not USB.

We have never been in a room that did not have a secondary area (such as the area around the TV) where we could spread out devices being charged.

The Hamster does have merit, though the plug just might not work for my devices.

8 minutes ago, TheRabbit said:

We have never been in a room that did not have a secondary area (such as the area around the TV) where we could spread out devices being charged.

I darn sure did. TVs were mounted at eye level. With no room anywhere around them to attach anything. Great big desk though. With two separate AC plugs about 18" above the writing surface. A nice home for the cube taps to feed all of the various devices spread across the desk. 

Tidy and functional!

29 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

I darn sure did. TVs were mounted at eye level. With no room anywhere around them to attach anything. Great big desk though. With two separate AC plugs about 18" above the writing surface. A nice home for the cube taps to feed all of the various devices spread across the desk. 

Tidy and functional!

What ship was this on?

34 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

Tidy and functional!

Forgot to mention, we picked up a small plastic basket that has strong magnets on it. We can attach it to the wall and drop the charging items in it if we have to. Got them from a Daiso when we were in Japan. They were something like this. These would work with the TV on the wall if there was an outlet,

Magnetic Basket

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TheRabbit said:

Forgot to mention, we picked up a small plastic basket that has strong magnets on it. We can attach it to the wall and drop the charging items in it if we have to. Got them from a Daiso when we were in Japan. They were something like this. These would work with the TV on the wall if there was an outlet,

Magnetic Basket

Welll sir, no matter how strong the magnets, they just aren’t going to adhere to wood. The TVs in our cabin were surrounded completely by  wood paneling. 

Besides, a cube tap is so tiny it just falls between the socks and tee shirts in my carry on. A basket sounds like a packing challenge. No matter how long our trips, we each travel with one roll aboard and one backpack. 

Much more efficient for my needs is to just pop a cube tap in the wall socket above the desk and “charge away”. Tidy too!

1 minute ago, Ep010835 said:

Welll sir, no matter how strong the magnets, they just aren’t going to adhere to wood. The TVs in our cabin were surrounded completely by  wood paneling. 

Besides, a cube tap is so tiny it just falls between the socks and tee shirts in my carry on. A basket sounds like a packing challenge. No matter how long our trips, we each travel with one roll aboard and one backpack. 

Much more efficient for my needs is to just pop a cube tap in the wall socket above the desk and “charge away”. Tidy too!

All that wood panel in metal on other ships.

Basket can go in the suitcase and just fill it with socks etc. 

For reference, was there a plug behind the tv? What room type?

2 minutes ago, TheRabbit said:

Basket can go in the suitcase and just fill it with socks etc. 

Yes, but why? 

For reference, was there a plug behind the tv?

Not a clue. Had zero reason to look. I suppose the TV plugged in somewhere but with my handy dandy cube tap firmly inserted into one of the above-desk sockets, I had everything I needed. Did I mention, tidy too!

What room type?

C749