DPreview Latest Report

donaldsc

Useful article as I am ready to graduate to a real camera from the limitations of my cell phone, but still looking for something compact and easy to travel with.  After some research I have already decided to stay away from a camera with detachable lenses and stick to something more point and shoot oriented.

12 hours ago, slewis7 said:

Useful article as I am ready to graduate to a real camera from the limitations of my cell phone, but still looking for something compact and easy to travel with.  After some research I have already decided to stay away from a camera with detachable lenses and stick to something more point and shoot oriented.

You might want to check out the Sony DSC RX10 or DSC RX100 series of cameras.  Technically, they are considered point and shoot cameras, but they have a lot of pro-type features.  I recently purchased a Sony DSC RX10ii with a fixed 28-200 mm zoom lens, and love it . . .  However, the RX 100 cameras are much more compact.  The RX 10 cameras are similar to DSLR cameras

Edited by billandsue

4 minutes ago, billandsue said:

You might want to check out the Sony DSC RX10 or DSC RX100 series of cameras.  Technically, they are considered point and shoot cameras, but they have a lot of pro-type features.  I recently purchased a Sony DSC RX10ii with a fixed 28-200 mm zoom lens, and love it . . .  However, the RX 100 cameras are much more compact.  The RX 10 cameras are similar to DSLR cameras

I have considered both of those Sony cameras, particularly the RX100 series as I want a small form factor.  They are probably overkill for me right now.  I am looking in the $500 to $700 price range and am drawn to several Panasonic models, but I am still researching.  Thanks!

10 hours ago, slewis7 said:

I have considered both of those Sony cameras, particularly the RX100 series as I want a small form factor.  They are probably overkill for me right now.  I am looking in the $500 to $700 price range and am drawn to several Panasonic models, but I am still researching.  Thanks!

The earlier versions of the RX100 are still widely available new and even the original has exceptional image quality. Sony has adopted the position of retaining older versions as "entry level" for a particular model line. Their A6000 is over 4 years old and still outsells most of the competition.

The RX100 is on Amazon for $368 right now.

Dave

Pierces:  thanks for pointing this out.  Perhaps I should consider the older Sony’s as well although the earliest models are quite old.  I will give the III or the IV a closer look.

Edited by slewis7

The smart phones of today take great photos but their limitation is not having a good zoom lens.  Since you don’t want a camera with interchangeable lenses I would look for a bridge camera with a good zoom lens.  As far as I’m concerned it’s the zoom that sets P&S cameras apart from today’s smartphones.  That's just my opinion.

Canon Powershot G9 is on the list, but DPReview's own ratings show the G7 Mark II (still available, it's a bit older) to be a better camera. It has better focal range, better f-stop range, an articulated LCD and more "modes" for less experienced shooters. I bought my wife one and she loves it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2018 at 9:44 AM, Oakman58 said:

The smart phones of today take great photos but their limitation is not having a good zoom lens.  Since you don’t want a camera with interchangeable lenses I would look for a bridge camera with a good zoom lens.  As far as I’m concerned it’s the zoom that sets P&S cameras apart from today’s smartphones.  That's just my opinion.

My Wife's recent phone replacement (Samsung S9+) has some improvements on phone camera workings. I hope to have her well trained by our May Alaska trip so that she can augment what I take with my two Nikon DSLRs and GoPro 7 Black.

new phone camera.jpg

On 12/18/2018 at 1:31 PM, billandsue said:

You might want to check out the Sony DSC RX10 .....

Before my cruise last year, I bought the RX10M4 to take because I wanted something that took good photos without having change lenses. I did not want to take my 6D with a selection of lenses. I did not know what to expect but was pleasantly surprised and I do not regret the decision.