Solo sailing on Carnival Dream December 2-9, 2018 after seven year gap

airlink diva

Hi everyone!  Just got back home yesterday from Louisiana.  I sailed on the Dream past week.  This wasn't the first time sailing on the Dream.  I sailed on her in 2011 when she was in Port Canaveral.  This was also my first cruise in five years, not to mention first vacation since 2013.

Overall it was a good sailing, there were a few bumps but overall great cruise.  One reason for my review, starting to notice more solo reviews.  While I do sail with others, will cruise solo in a heartbeat.

Going to start with pre cruise!  Let the fun begin.

First of all, like I stated above, this was my first cruise and vacation since 2013.  Prior to that I was cruising once, sometimes twice a year.  Primary with Carnival or Holland America.  However in 2013 my job was downside and for the next few years I went through major changes of job loss, unemployment, returning to school after a 25 year gap, working part time, two part times until  one of my part time offered me full time with vacation!!

After catching up on bills, not to mention my 50th birthday was coming up this year, decided to treat myself to a cruise.  In February happen to catch one of Carnival sales with low deposit and OBC.  I know that normally after Thanksgiving is a good time to cruise. Pricing is reasonable, the weather is nice and hurricane season is over.  Only downside is traveling solo the pricing can be 150% to 200% higher. Since it was for my birthday, decided to book a balcony and after reading overall great reviews, booked a Cove Balcony.

Two months into booking start getting emails for upgrade offers.  The first two were a small additional cost, but didn't care for the location.  Received another one, but the cost was more than I wanted to spend more one.

The last one I did accept.  I went from a Cove Balcony to a Spa balcony for around $120 more.  I was looking at a spa pass and decided to accept the offer and cabin changed to 12223.

I also pre booked on Carnival shore trip in Belize to Xunantunich.  I normally don't book cruise trips, but due to the distance opt to go with Carnival (which ended up a great pick).

I decided on the Mayan Princess Resort pass in Roatan and Food tour in Cozumel.

PRE CRUISE NEW ORLEANS

I was in New Orleans two days prior to enjoy the city.  Didn't get a chance to do everything.  But enjoyed Christmas tea at Windsor Court hotel, brunch at the Court of Two Sisters, the annual Christmas parade, dining at Willie Mae, Parkway bakery and Celebration in the Oaks.

IMG_9808.JPG

IMG_9824.JPG

IMG_9932.JPG

Thanks for posting! I'm traveling on the Dream the week before Mardi Gras and then staying on in NOLA through Friday. I can't wait to read more about your experience! How was Court of Two Sisters? We have a brunch reservation set up there. 🙂

23 hours ago, bbtbear said:

Thanks for posting! I'm traveling on the Dream the week before Mardi Gras and then staying on in NOLA through Friday. I can't wait to read more about your experience! How was Court of Two Sisters? We have a brunch reservation set up there. 🙂

I really enjoyed brunch there.  Been on my to do list for awhile.

I sat out in the courtyard.  The food was good.  The seafood eggs benedict was excellent!  It was a mixture of both tourist and locals.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgKYHXOvSm0fge5XCW53tv7vFAcWGA

1201181037.jpg

1201181108.jpg

Edited by airlink diva
  • Like 1

Well I'm back for a little while.  Gotta work back to back both jobs, graveshift then day job so will post some more today and again on Tuesday.

I stayed pre cruise in Slidell Homewood Suites.  Booked the hotel the following weekend after booking my cruise.  Got an excellent rate being a honors member and points which came up as right at $200 for both nights.  I love the hotel and it was close to Wal Mart which was good for last minute items.  Only drawback being around 45 minutes from downtown New Orleans and paying for parking.  On Saturday heading for brunch and the parade, two wreaks on the expressway.  Also paying to park close to Two Sisters and parade was $30 for a few hours.  

Finally it was Sunday morning!  I picked a later time for port arrival.  When I travel solo, rather arrive at port around 1:00 p.m. or later.  I do this for several reasons.  Primary like checking in with no crowds, able to go right to my cabin and then enjoy lunch in the lido with few people and able to find a keep a table as a solo.

For parking I went with Machu Picchu parking.  I had parked at Fulton several times with no issues, but some friends had used Machu earlier this year and raved about them.  I also went with them.  I also highly suggest them.  Their process is so easy and stress free!  I got a call around 9:00 that morning asking did I need directions to their site.  When arriving, you are greeted, luggage pulled out and they park the car.  I had a short wait for the van to return.  I enjoyed sitting on their patio.  When the van arrived, luggage loaded and off I went.  No waiting for others to fill the van.  Same on return.  I called, within minutes at the port, my car was waiting, luggage loaded and gone.  No waiting for others to fill the van up.

Within minutes at the port and see the sign at the door, cruise is about to start

IMG_0196.JPG

1202181224.jpg

I love this new boarding process! It's quick and easy with people there to assist and guide the whole time.

Once I was dropped off, there were two employees calling out for on time appointments and early or late.  Since I was less than five minutes to my time, just stood off to the side until 1:00 p.m.

After that I was always in movement.  Directed to a young lady with a pad who greeted and welcome me back to Carnival, sent to guest services (I had OBO and cruise cash, but still place a credit card as backup) and heading for the ship.

I would say less than 25 minutes ready to board.  Only delay was me because had to use the bathroom.

Next thing I know heading up the gangway and on board the Dream

1202181330.jpg

1202181329a.jpg

1202181334.jpg

1202181336b.jpg

As I stated in another posting, had the chance to upgrade from my Cove balcony.  Got several offers and only moved when offered a spa balcony.  Since I was looking at a spa pass for the week, the cost was cheaper than if I booked the room at first.

I was in cabin 12223.  Overall I enjoyed my cabin and did take advantage of the spa.  Would I book another spa cabin again?  Maybe not, which I will explain

Since I arrived right at time for cabin access, went right to the 12th floor.  Overall impression was it was a good cabin.  Since I was solo plenty of space and my request for a king bed was done.  There's a small plaque which give highlights of the spa balcony benefits.  I loved the view from the cabin of the New Orleans skyline.

I had also ordered case of water and my parents a small cake.  Both items were in the cabin.

The frig in the cabin kept my water cold and no issues.  Another concern was if I would have issues with the cabin temperature.  The cabin temperature was perfect the whole cruise!  I never had to adjust it the whole sailing.

My cabin steward came and greeted me.  They have cards now which he gave me and asked did I want once a day or twice service.  I opted for twice a day.  He was excellent!  Cabin was clean and greeted me in the hall when seeing me.

Overall the cabin look good, there were signs of wear and tear also.  One of the bathroom switch was broke, marks on the back of the chair, some worn edges.  But it didn't take away from the overall cabin feel.

I also had two pair of slippers, two robes and Elemis products in the bathroom.  If you sail with Holland America, these products are in all cabins.  They are nice, but not just outstanding. Only dislike was no replacements.  My soap ran out and gel.  I always bring soap with me and would had like to have a second set during the sailing.

I also had two concerns prior to the cruise which was no issue.  One was finding out no cover on balcony.  I was concern that wasn't going to enjoy the balcony if I had no shade.  However all I had to do sit on either one end of the balcony during the day and there was shade.  It is open to the top deck and with the exception of sail off and when leaving Cozumel, no issues with people standing and looking down on my balcony.

The other issue was being so close to the waterworks.  However, rarely heard even on sea day the kids enjoying it.

Had good neighbors on both sides and able to take full advantage of my balcony.

The hallway was quiet also and very little noise.

My two issues which would make me think hard about picking a spa balcony cabin is elevators and movement.

At times it was hard to get an elevator to the 12th floor.  Often I had to ride down just to head up to the 12th floor.  This got tiresome during the cruise.  The second is movement.  This is the highest cabinwise I ever on all my cruises had.  You could feel the movement, especially the night heading to Cozumel.  I don't get seasick, but just didn't care for the movement.

IMG_0198.JPG

IMG_0197.JPG

IMG_0200.JPG

After unpacking my carry on, headed for some food!

First stop was Guy's burger.  

I fell in love with these burgers (need one now!) and their fries!  Anytime I got a burger, fresh off the grill and hot! Same with fries.  Also headed to Blue Iguana and got a small burrito made.  Did check out the Lido items and got a rice dish.

I was a happy camper after this!

Since it was close to drill time, I went to the 5th deck to hang out near my drill spot which was in the theater.  This was the first time in any of my sailings not outside on the deck.  We had to fill each seat on the row, but hey, I was inside and didn't care.

After the drill, they release the sites by where you were at to keep crowds down.

By the time I got back to the cabin, my luggage was there and I unpacked.

It was a slight delay on us leaving port due to river traffic.  No issues, I sat on my balcony and relax and enjoyed the skyline when we left.

IMG_0202.JPG

Last posting for today.

This is the first cruise with the exception of breakfast last seaday, that I didn't eat in the dining room.

I as a rule always enjoy the dining room.  In all my Carnival sailings, never had a bad table and met some wonderful people.  In fact still friends with my whole table from on the my prior New Orleans sailings.

But on this cruise I opt for anytime dining and didn't go.  The main reason was I booked three nights in the Steakhouse, had the Chef's table another night and I know from prior cruises to Belize if I do a ruins tour, it's an all day and I eat in the Lido.  The other two nights I enjoyed the Seafood shack or Lido.

Did I miss the dining room? Yes, but for this cruise it just didn't fit in my plans.

I will rate all my dining options on the cruise.

Starting off room service 9 out of 10

I did enjoy room service, both the paid and unpaid portions during the sailing

Primary I pre order hot tea, sometimes toast and juice in the mornings.  They always arrived a little early or right at the time requested.

I did one day ordered wings and fries from the paid portion to eat on the balcony.  The first time was placed on hold for the longest and hung up.  Called back and answered after a short hold.  No timeframe given, but would say about 45 minutes.

The wings were good and fries hot.  Just was being lazy that day and went this option

IMG_0212.JPG

IMG_0213.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Since my last sailing on the Dream, several new eating options were added.  One that end up being my favorite was the Seafood Shack.

I came across it midweek during the cruise.  After that, end up ending there for lunch or dinner the remaining of the cruise.

The cost was reasonable and the portions were generous.  You order the food, receive a pager and return to the counter when ready.

I love clams and ordered this the most!  I also liked the Lobster rolls, seafood platter and Oysters on the half shell. Below is photo of the seafood platter.

Yes it was a fee basis option and had to issue enjoying dining here.

IMG_0297.JPG

17 minutes ago, bbtbear said:

happy to see you back posting and glad you are over your illness. This is the first review I've seen of the Seafood Shack and have been wondering how it is and whether it's worth it. Can't wait to see more posts!

No problem at all

Thanks so much for sharing your journey.  I recently lost my husband and we loved to cruise, so I'm thinking of going solo for the first time.  Sounds like you've got it down!  This is helping me get more used to the idea!

I also dined in the Steakhouse three nights of the cruise.  I dined the first, second and last night.  

The overall the food and service was excellent each night!  The chef came to my table the second and last night thanking me for dining with them more than once.

I did take advantage of the free bottle the first night and had a nice red.  They will keep the bottle in the steakhouse for you and I did enjoy it the next night also.

The spice rub steak was excellent! I really enjoyed it two of the three nights. I enjoyed the surf and turf on the second night.

The Yukon gold mashed with Wasabi Horseradish is a must! I loved this and had it each time!  The Risotto was good.  The Caesar and Lobster Bisque was ok.  Not bad, but not great.  The only let down was the cheesecake.  It looked so good but no taste at all.  I just got ice cream or sorbet the other two nights.  The sour Apple sorbet is excellent.

This was an extra $160 more to my trip (I did add tips each night).  Was it worth it? To me yes!  I like eating in the steakhouse each night and the cost was minor to me.  Would I dine in the steakhouse again more than one time is now something that I will view on other cruises.

Here are some of the photos from the Steakhouse

1202181904.jpg

1202181841.jpg

1202181847.jpg

I only ate in the dining room one time.  It was on the last sea day and I decided to enjoy seaday brunch.

Since I ate around 11:00 a.m. was quickly seated and waited on.

Got the Eggs Benedict with cheese grits and flaming tomato soup.  The Eggs Benedict were good along with the cheese grits.

I was assigned to anytime dining but did not go at all.  This was a first for me, but while I didn't miss it on this cruise,  I do enjoy the dining room

Next topic is drinks.  Pre cruise I debated long and hard about Cheers.  The main appeal to me is not having to worry about a daily budget on drinks and openness to try new drinks.  But the cost over $400 made me question if I was willing to pay that.

In the end I decided not to purchase Cheers.  

On this cruise I didn't really drink how I normally do.  I had a few Kiss on the Lips and a glass of wine at one of the bars, but that was it. 

Now I love the coffee bar!  If you are a coffee drinker, ask for the card where after six purchases, one free.  I would stop by each morning and get a Latte.  The pricing was rather reasonable and equal or less to at home.

The only fault is in the mornings they needed three people working!  The employees were working their buts off fixing drinks, but two people with lines, especially when some people were ordering several drinks.  You could also get free pastries, puzzles also.  I often would grab a pastries, coffee and sit in the area to enjoy my coffee in the morning.

That's all for today! Off New Years and will post more then!

I also enjoyed the Chef's Table during my sailing.  I primary decided to do this because of the overall reviews from others on this site.

Overall it was a good experience.  Most of the items were good, a few outstanding and other ok.  My fellow diners were a mixture of first timers and others who had enjoyed the Chef's table either on the Dream or on another Carnival ship.

My least favorite was the magician.  He was ok but didn't see why it was needed during the meal.

The head chef, wine steward and remaining staff were great and made sure any questions or needs were met.  We did dine in the kitchen and got to watch how busy it is during meal time.

I might try again on a different trip and if you want to do something different, try it!

Below is several photos from the dining

1204181751.jpg

1204181847.jpg

1204181836b.jpg