Galveston and debarking early to catch uber to car rental?

WIFamily

Any issues with one party in a cabin of 4 debarking and going through customs as early as possible to catch ride to rental? 

We are sailing out of Galveston and renting from Avis in Texas City.   I would like to debark with no suitcases and get a ride the 25-30 minutes, rent the car and come back.  Will I be able to get back into port area?

Technically, can my wife and sons - 17 and 14 debark later, grab luggage, go through customs, and meet me out front?  

I've bever even thought about this before, we've always gone through the process together.  I cant think of a reason why it would be an issue.  Anyone done this before?

You, or all of you can do self assist and carry your luggage with you as you debark. With or without luggage, you still have to go through customs. And you are still bound by the rules of debarkation. So you can debark with no luggage if you want, but you will still only get to exit when your deck is called and then you’ll have to go through customs like all the other self assist folks. After that, yes, you will be able to come back into port to pick up the family. Lots of people on the cruise will be getting picked up by friends and family.

So you won’t really save any time on the debarkation process by going alone with no luggage... unless you will have so much luggage that you can’t do self assist as a family. 

Bob

Thanks.  It's not about saving time, but rather not dragging all 4 of us and luggage via uber or taxi from port to Texas city.  Or having the rest of the party wait somewhere off ship for my return.  They could get breakfast or chill on some chairs in a public area of the ship.

I know most everything will be closed and they wont be able to wait in the cabin, but chilling in the lobby without all the luggage might be more comfortable than outside with luggage.

Thanks again!

If you do self-debark you should be able to be on your way in an Uber before 8 in Galveston (all of our cruises from there we were in our car starting the drive home by 8:15 at the latest).

Your family can stay in the cabin til about 8:30 then they'll get kicked out. The MDR serves breakfast til 9. 

So you could head out early, your family could take their time leaving the cabin, eat their breakfast and just head down to pick up your luggage (have them consider using a porter for a few $$ since you won't be there to help them) before going through customs and immigration. If they start that journey after 9, I'd think you'd be pretty close to the port from Texas City... if you really don't want them to wait outside at all they could wait onboard til you get onto Galveston Island, text them to start the trek and you should both make it curbside around the same time... that way neither of you waits too long.

Edited by Shaded Lady