Fremantle and Perth Australia transportation and accomodation questions

Spartan Tartan

Looking at a Celebrity cruise that ends in Fremantle Australia and the flight to Auckland will depart Perth airport the following day at 7:00 a.m. Can any local residents or learned cruisers comment on the following questions as we would like to spend some time in both cities. Due to vacation schedule we would be unable to spend more days in either location. So if we are off ship at 10:00 a.m. how could we fit both cities in for a short tour?

1. There is a train station I believe across from where the Solstice docks.  Are there storage lockers for our luggage that we can rent?

2. Is the Celebrity dock/train station in Fremantle close to tour some of the city?

3. As we are departing for Auckland the next day 7:00 a.m. we would have to check out of our room around 4:00 a.m.. What reasonable priced hotel would you recommend.

4. Hotel shuttles or taxi, due to hotel early check out there may be no shuttles running at that time, are taxis difficult to obtain at 4:00 a.m. and what estimated price to airport? 

5. Would the 4:00 a.m. hotel check out be too early or just right to ensure 7:00 a.m. departure from Perth to Auckland?

6. How long is the train ride from Fremantle into Perth and cost per passenger?

7. Once in Perth should we check our bags at train station and do sight seeing and proceed to hotel close to airport or go direct to hotel and take transportation back to city?

8. Is the Perth train station close to city centre and tourist sights? If not what would you suggest?

Thanking you in advance for any information, suggestions or advice on navigating Fremantle and Perth in a very short period of time.

Can answer a few of your question about Freemantle as we have boarded there.

the train station is pretty basic and don’t believe there is storage but I may be wrong.

right outside the station is a free hoho bus perfect to see all freemantle

train to Perth is about 30 mins tickets cost around a$15 for a day. With a cruise ship arriving there will be info and booths to obtain tickets

taxi freemantle to airport is around a$60

for such an early departure I’d look for hotels near the airport or that offer free shuttles to airport . Airport appartments by aurum have 24 hour free shuttle and are not overly expensive

We stayed in freemantle 2 days before departing and never got to Perth with lots to see and do in freemantle . Recommend the prison is well worth a visit if you like a bit of the history of a town

• Like 1

I would take the train from the dock each is a walking distance and stay in Perth city.It takes about half an hour ride.

There is not much to see at Freemantle.

The only place that I like to visit is one of the restaurant in Freemantle called  Fish and Chip by the sea.

They claim is the best Fish and Chips in Perth.

It is a shame you can't have more time because each city is worth some time, but it is what it is! 

Given the time (and luggage) restraints I would just go to Perth, check into your hotel and explore the city.  There is a lot to see in Fremantle, the Maritime Museum, the Round House, the Jail etc. but luggage is going to be your problem.  There is luggage storage in Fremantle but not at the train station. https://www.packsend.com.au/couriers-western-australia/couriers-fremantle  By the time you take your luggage there, see some of Fremantle then pick it up and go to Perth, you won't see anything of Perth. The fish and chips is

I think you are best to walk to the train station,  it takes 10 minutes.  Don't cross over the bridge but as you come out of the passenger terminal keep to the path and head right, you can cross over the train line to the platform just past the station (it is the end of the line).  The full fare is $4.80 pp one way, that is all you will need.  You can get a paper ticket, most locals use cards which give you a discount.

As for hotels pick one close to the station which is in Wellington Street.  I assume you arrive at Fremantle 28 February.   I think that leads into a long weekend in Perth so it may make hotel prices a bit more expensive than usual.  Mantra on Murray is 400 metres (5 minutes) from the train station, there are others in close proximity.

Once you check into your hotel (hopefully with early access) you can go to Kings Park, Elizabeth Quay, Perth Mint or whatever else takes your fancy.  There are City CAT buses which are free and all buses in the CBD are at no cost.  

This website will give you information on costs for a shuttle.  https://perthcityshuttle.com.au/ Your timing is fine. 

Having said all this, you would have lots to do in Fremantle for the day as well and maybe you prefer this option and stay there, but I think if you haven't been to Perth before you "should" go to Perth and Kings Park.

Hope this helps, not confuses!

Beryl