Uniworld or Viking?

themutis

Currently looking to book our first River cruise for Aug 2018 on the Rhine - Basel to Amsterdam.  Both Viking and Uniworld are currently the same price with the exception that Viking is offering 599.00 airfare.  I can book my own airfare for about the same price, so that doesn't really come into play.

I have looked at the recent Uniworld Rhine reviews, and they have been horrible.  I understand there were low river conditions, which may have caused some of the negative reviews.  But there were also negative reviews about the condition of the ship, the food, and the tours.

So just looking for some advice on which line would be better for this cruise.

Thanks

Sailed on both.  Our close friends love Uniworld. Either is fine per your decision.  Be aware that on Viking tips are not included.  This can be a couple hundred bucks following the guidelines, or not.  Also, cocktails and drinks outside of meals are all included on Uniworld but not on Viking.   Means nothing to us but saves cocktail fans some cash.  Viking will charge ~$20+/night/person for their all inclusive Silver Spirits package beyond their standard included beer & wine with meals. My bar bill has always been under $50 on Viking, a couple martinis and a couple special wines for my wife.  

For some, the style of the ship makes a stark difference.  Both have comfortable rooms, good food and good service, maybe Uniworld a bit more formal.  Uniworld has some tables for 2 in the dining room, while Viking has tables for 6.  Viking's Aquavit terrace is a gem.  We eat all our lunches there, buffet style.

Tours are contracted and equivalent.

I'd sail with the best deal assuming decor is not a preference.  That's how we choose Uniworld on the Douro.

Edited by philw1776

With Uniworld, it depends on which ship you are looking at. We sailed the SS Antoinette on the Rhine, and found her to be in great condition. We liked that there was a second bar, a pool, and a second dining venue on the top deck, for lighter fare at lunch, and "sharing meals" for dinner. The non-SS ships aren't going to have these additional features, are going to have smaller rooms, and may be the ones in need of updates.

Like Phil said, Uniworld has more onboard inclusions (gratuities, all beverages, all day). Uniworld also includes airport transfers if you arrive/depart on the day the cruise starts/ends, regardless of whether you book air with them, or not.

Robin

Have sailed with Uniworld 5 times.  With Viking once.  And done.  Perhaps we just had a poor experience with Viking and the staff on board the ship, but Uniworld is consistent with good customer service and product.  I liken Viking to Carnival with their marketing schemes and I know they have quite a following, but find that Uniworld and other river cruise lines have more to offer and stand by their customers and concerns.

My wife and I have taken three Uniworld cruises (Budapest to Amsterdam, Antwerp to Amsterdam-Tulip cruise, and the Nile). We’re doing two more next year: Budapest to Bucharest and Venice. The ships, food and personal service have been excellent. I too have notice some negative reviews lately and I guess I’ll find out in April whether things have declined. Each Uniworld ship is decorated differently and some people find the style on some ships “over the top.” It all comes down to personal preference. We’re don’t drink much but really enjoy being able to have whatever you want anytime without worrying about extra cost. One thing we noticed on our cruises was Uniworld’s city tour groups were much smaller than the Viking groups we saw and the Uniworld guides were excellent. On two of our trips we had some medical problems and Uniworld was excellent in the assistance they provided. I’ve posted reviews of our trips on Cruisecritic.

We took our 13th cruise with Uniworld last month and it was absolutely outstanding.  The Nile River cruise was one of the best, if not the best, we have ever taken.  Crew was great as was our tour guide.  Food and ship were super also.  We have not seen any degradation of Uniworld service over the years.

An important note we go by when reading reviews.  If a person is not happy with something, they will review.  If they are very happy they might review.  Most of the rest will not bother to review.

We have also cruised on Viking and might do so again if they have an itinerary that we want and Uniworld does not have that itinerary. 

1 hour ago, fred111 said:

An important note we go by when reading reviews.  If a person is not happy with something, they will review.  If they are very happy they might review.  Most of the rest will not bother to review.

Exactly. Actually, I'm a case in point. We returned from our third Uniworld cruise last week and it was as phenomenal as the first two. I've still not done a review. (That said, I probably will eventually to help balance some of the negative reviews I read before this trip.) I was concerned after reading reviews stating that food, service and the condition of the ship had declined, but I have to say I did not find any of that to be the case for our trip. I've only been on the Uniworld SS Maria Theresa and Antoinette but found both of those to be outstanding (absolutely love the pool area on the Antoinette!)

I don't like the feeling of being nickeled and dimed when I'm on vacation, so I would never consider Viking as an option. I also can't imagine a more comfortable bed than those on Uniworld's ships and that's something that's important to me.  

Three time Viking cruiser here - Bordeaux, Rhine, and Douro.  Loved each cruise but each was totally different. The service, staff, guides, rooms, and food were all fantastic.  None of our cruises were ever interrupted by  poor river conditions.  Many people have complained about all the tour companies for their lack of customer care this past summer/fall due to poor river conditions.

I think it is unfair to say that Viking nickles and dimes you.  Some of the things you get charged for(Silver Spirits, extra tours) only a few people want.  Viking keeps the overall cost down by only charging the cruisers who opt to use those services.  We are always amazed by those who choose the Silver Spirits package when Viking always has the drinks flowing freely at lunch and dinner.  Viking allows you to bring alcohol on board and doesn't charge a corkage fee.  We have always brought a few bottles of better wine (everyone has different tastes) to drink if we want something during non dinner hours.

You need to choose a cruise based on your expectations.  Choose the itinerary, price range, and time of year based on what you want. Some cruisers want fancy suites, others are happy with aquarium class.  Some are happy to sit on the top deck and watch the scenery go by while others fill up their days by cramming in every activity they can.  Bottom line  -- do your research beforehand.

• Like 3

I took a Rhine cruise on the River Princess (was supposed to be on the River Empress but had last minute swap due to water level) last month and thought it was exceptional.  The itinerary was changed, but the Captain and Cruise Director kept us informed the whole time, and kept us on the ship and out of hotels.  The service was top notch.  This was my 3rd Uniworld river cruise.  

Nothing negative about the condition of the ship, the food or the tours.  I like that Uniworld is all-inclusive.

Roz

Our Basel to Amsterdam trip on the S.S. Antoinette with Uniworld in early September was outstanding (food, tours, service, fellow travelers,...).  We were lucky since the river cooperated with us.  It was our first river cruise and we are booked with Uniworld on the Seine for next fall.  

I've read some of the Uniworld reviews, and I think a lot of the negative comments have to do with unrealistic expectations and a lack of research on the part of the passengers.  River cruise ships' cabins are small and the bathrooms are even smaller. :classic_laugh:  It was no secret that low water levels have been an issue all year.  "We were told that the ships, service, excursions, etc. were first rate and all of our dreams would be fulfilled." - That's a pretty tall order for any cruise line.  

Roz

• Like 1

A month ago I would have suggested Uniworld hands down but now it would really depend on price. For reference I have 8 Uniworld Cruises and one Viking.  My biggest complaint with Uniworld is they have NO loyalty to past cruisers and they have reduced or eliminated all their booking incentives.  When I booked my 2018 Christmas market cruise I received 10% off for paying in advance, 5% for being a past cruiser and another $500 off due to the number of cruises I have taken with them.  Unfortunately the cruise was cancelled at the last minute due to the low water levels.  Uniworld refunded our money but when we tried to book for 2019 we were advised the same cruise, same ship, same room would cost $2,735 MORE.  They eliminated all booking incentives except a whopping $100 for being a past passenger.  They should have at least matched the price I had paid for the cruise THEY cancelled.  Viking and Tauck offered me more incentives and actually acted like they want repeat customers.  I do love the Uniworld SS ships and the food has been excellent.  I just wish their service in the front office (and management) would match that on the ship. 

4 hours ago, DC0743 said:

A month ago I would have suggested Uniworld hands down but now it would really depend on price. For reference I have 8 Uniworld Cruises and one Viking.  My biggest complaint with Uniworld is they have NO loyalty to past cruisers and they have reduced or eliminated all their booking incentives.  When I booked my 2018 Christmas market cruise I received 10% off for paying in advance, 5% for being a past cruiser and another $500 off due to the number of cruises I have taken with them.  Unfortunately the cruise was cancelled at the last minute due to the low water levels.  Uniworld refunded our money but when we tried to book for 2019 we were advised the same cruise, same ship, same room would cost $2,735 MORE.  They eliminated all booking incentives except a whopping $100 for being a past passenger.  They should have at least matched the price I had paid for the cruise THEY cancelled.  Viking and Tauck offered me more incentives and actually acted like they want repeat customers.  I do love the Uniworld SS ships and the food has been excellent.  I just wish their service in the front office (and management) would match that on the ship. 

Again, as I said in my response to you on another post, have you requested that they change your trip to one for next year at the same price? I've found that management is very able and willing to work with clients - particularly repeat customers - but you have to make the effort to connect with the right people.

We felt that Uniworld guest relations went above and beyond in accommodating us on our recent Danube cruise, even to the point of arranging for a private driver for us.

31 minutes ago, bubbulz said:

Again, as I said in my response to you on another post, have you requested that they change your trip to one for next year at the same price? I've found that management is very able and willing to work with clients - particularly repeat customers - but you have to make the effort to connect with the right people.

We felt that Uniworld guest relations went above and beyond in accommodating us on our recent Danube cruise, even to the point of arranging for a private driver for us.

Guest Relations have been very good in the past, but that was not my experience this time.  They gave me the cancellation credit which reduced it to being $735 more than the cancelled cruise and then said "that's all we can do for you".  I worked with the same person I booked the 2018 cruise with.

2 minutes ago, DC0743 said:

Guest Relations have been very good in the past, but that was not my experience this time.  They gave me the cancellation credit which reduced it to being $735 more than the cancelled cruise and then said "that's all we can do for you".  I worked with the same person I booked the 2018 cruise with.

Sorry to hear that. Our experience was definitely different and we found them extremely accommodating.