Bringing on your own wine.

KevintheIrishDJ

Friends just came back from a Princess cruise.  Like ourselves, they don't know much about wines but have a few favorites.  None were on the list.  They ordered a white and red and paid over $30 each.  The didn't like either one.  The got home and found out Total Wine sells them for $7 each.  That is why we bring on our own wine by the case and pay the corking charge.

• Like 4

We bring wine onboard on every cruise.  Usually we bring one bottle per day and pay the corking fee.  We have two 6 bottle carriers to carry them onboard.  We get our favorite bottles which are not on the wine list.  We enjoy drinking wine on our balcony in the late afternoon before dinner.  

• Like 1

We have decent palates when it comes to wine; we also prefer to relax when onboard, so we don't schlep our own wine onto the ship. We have had them run out of one or two "favorites" but they always had something good to order in its place. We understand the markup...we aren't at Sam's Club or BevMo; we are on a ship, run by a corporation which is in the business of turning a large profit for its shareholders. I'd rather pay their price than $180/case just for corkage plus bottle cost plus the "joy" of getting it to the port and onboard...

• Like 2

When sailing out of Port Everglades, I pre-order my wine online at Total Wine, Uber from the airport to the shop, pop in for a sec to pick up my purchase and get back into the car headed to the port. Takes only a few minutes and saves me from over-paying for grocery store quality wines. I sold wholesale for years, I know my wines, and I don't have to worry if the ship has a wine I like in stock or not. I drink what I want, at a better price, and HAL still gets a few sheckles, what's not to like?

Edited by CineGraphic
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

When sailing out of Port Everglades, I pre-order my wine online at Total Wine, Uber from the airport to the shop, pop in for a sec to pick up my purchase and get back into the card headed to the port. Takes only a few minutes and saves me from over-paying for grocery store quality wines. I sold wholesale for years, I know my wines, and I don't have to worry if the ship has a wine I like in stock or not. I drink what I want, at a better price, and HAL still gets a few sheckles, what's not to like?

well Mr. wholesale. Whats your opinion on the import  wine offerings?

1 minute ago, c-boy said:

well Mr. wholesale. Whats your opinion on the import  wine offerings?

It's been years since I've even looked at their wine lists, nor do I want to, but I can certainly recommend the Silverado wine blending sessions held at Vines. Here you are able to taste 100% Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Malbec, and then blend them in a glass. This was something I had done previously at Silverado in the 80s before I was married, so I really wanted my wife to experience this, and she really loved it....not too technical. Lots to drink and nibble on.

IMG_2892.JPG

2 hours ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

Friends just came back from a Princess cruise.  Like ourselves, they don't know much about wines but have a few favorites.  None were on the list.  They ordered a white and red and paid over $30 each.  The didn't like either one.  The got home and found out Total Wine sells them for $7 each.  That is why we bring on our own wine by the case and pay the corking charge.

The markup on Princess is very similar to that of land-based restaurants.  Also, similar to land-based restaurants, the markup on lower priced wines is much greater than that on the higher priced wines.

We, generally, bring a stash of our own wines when we cruise.  That being said, we also order wines on board the ship.  If I bring a red to dinner and Mrs. XBGuy is in the mood for a white (which, usually, only occurs on days ending in "y"), we'll order a white for her.  On our last cruise on the Ruby Princess a couple weeks, ago, she ordered a Gruner Veltliner at SHARE and enjoyed it very much.  We paid $43 for it on board.  Since she enjoyed the wine, that was $43 well spent.  Last week, I found the very same wine, same vintage, at Costco for $11.50.  So, I happily bought more at Costco.

The Ruby Princess did not have the new wine list when we were on board.  I am looking forward to checking that out.  We have a 12-day cruise on that ship in April.  As usual, I will bring some of my own wine on board, but I am also looking forward to having the new wine list available.

I know that I am just repeating much of what has already been posted, here, but I really appreciate the Princess wine carry-on policy.  I believe there are multiple reasons for people to avail themselves of it.  Any one of those reasons are correct for anybody wishing to do so.  Similarly, if an individual does not see the benefit to them, then they are correct in not carrying-on.  There is no reason for anybody to have to justify their behavior regarding this.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

I really appreciate the Princess wine carry-on policy.  I believe there are multiple reasons for people to avail themselves of it.  Any one of those reasons are correct for anybody wishing to do so.  Similarly, if an individual does not see the benefit to them, then they are correct in not carrying-on.  There is no reason for anybody to have to justify their behavior regarding this.

Bingo

• Thanks 1

How do you transport your wine? Do you have a specialty type carrier or just bring them in a standard cardboard box? Please forgive the naivety of this post but there are those of us who are looking for best options at best prices. Thank you in advance for your wisdom & experiences.

4 hours ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

Kevin

We're on your cruise next week .

We have a drink package but after looking at what's available by the glass on the new wine list we will also be bringing our own wine.

(This will probably be our last cruise with the drink package ---  the by-the-glass dry red offerings on this new wine list are pretty awful)

We're flying in and the wine will be in our checked luggage so I expect we'll be spending the first afternoon in the naughty room claiming it. Not trying to avoid the corkage - .(We also sail Celebrity and Disney where corkage is $25/bottle so Princess seems very fair)

Edited by chamima
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, idocdlw said:

chamima...you seemed well versed in this area...please share best advice so noobs can learn...check wine?  carry wine?  Best transport options to prevent loss/damage?

You are supposed to bring all wine in your carry-on.

If driving in or buying it in the port that works.

We , as I said , are flying so the wine will be in our luggage.

I'm not sure of exactly where it will be until we pack.

We have a 6 bottle wine carrier - which is the best way to transport it but that means we pay to bring an empty bag on the way home.

If we just decide to take 4 bottles (and have the weight in our bags available) we will wrap the wine in large 2 gallon ziploc bags ( sometimes I double-wrap them) , then wrap those in soft things like tshirts and put them in the center of our luggage.

For long cruises we've shipped a case of wine to our pre-cruise hotel . Then you can carry that on the ship.

3 minutes ago, chamima said:

Thank you...we are going on a 10 day cruise and would idelly like to bring 12 bottles of wine...just looking for best options.

3 minutes ago, chamima said:

You are supposed to bring all wine in your carry-on.

If driving in or buying it in the port that works.

We , as I said , are flying so the wine will be in our luggage.

I'm not sure of exactly where it will be until we pack.

We have a 6 bottle wine carrier - which is the best way to transport it but that means we pay to bring an empty bag on the way home.

If we just decide to take 4 bottles (and have the weight in our bags available) we will wrap the wine in large 2 gallon ziploc bags ( sometimes I double-wrap them) , then wrap those in soft things like tshirts and put them in the center of our luggage.

For long cruises we've shipped a case of wine to our pre-cruise hotel . Then you can carry that on the ship.

5 minutes ago, idocdlw said:

If it all has to be carry on we will make the effort to ensure its safety. Thx all.

If you're driving to the port get a case box from your local wine store.

They usually have good foam dividers that will protect the wine.

Seal it with duct tape and try to fashion a handle out of the duct tape so you can pick the case (or two half cases) up to carry.

Does that sound feasible?

Also make SURE to attach a luggage tag to the box - just in case!

2 hours ago, idocdlw said:

How do you transport your wine? Do you have a specialty type carrier or just bring them in a standard cardboard box? Please forgive the naivety of this post but there are those of us who are looking for best options at best prices. Thank you in advance for your wisdom & experiences.

This is what I use.  It will hold up to 12 bottles and has some insulation.  It has wheels.  So it is easy to drag on board.  There are external pockets where I stash my cruise documentation and some other stuff.  My wife bought it on Amazon for about $70.  I don't think I would check it on an airline.  There are other totes--e.g., Wine Check and VinGarde Valise--that work well with airlines.  We live near the port.  So, I don't usually worry about the airline checking issue.

The other cool thing about something like this one is at the end of the cruise, we have a carry-off.  We completely pack up the night before and let the ship's personnel schlep our bags off the ship.  We use this to pack up the last things--shaving kit, make-up, socks that we found in a drawer, etc--on disembarkation morning.

There have been multiple reports here on Cruise Critic of people checking cases of wine with the porter at the pier.  Yes, they do get summoned to the room to claim their wine, but, I have to agree, that that is easier than trying to schlep three cases (I know of at least one instance.) through the various check-in stations.

IMG_4058.jpg

IMG_4059.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jwattle said:

We have decent palates when it comes to wine; we also prefer to relax when onboard, so we don't schlep our own wine onto the ship. We have had them run out of one or two "favorites" but they always had something good to order in its place. We understand the markup...we aren't at Sam's Club or BevMo; we are on a ship, run by a corporation which is in the business of turning a large profit for its shareholders. I'd rather pay their price than $180/case just for corkage plus bottle cost plus the "joy" of getting it to the port and onboard...

450% mark up is a bit much.

3 hours ago, idocdlw said:

We bring it on in the original box and check it with our bags.

Just now, KevintheIrishDJ said:

We bring it on in the original box and check it with our bags.

If you check with your other checked luggage, how & when is the corkage fee assessed/applied? Again I apologize...new to Princess & Princess procedures.