Cruise Critic Community
donaldsc

South Georgia Island

Just got back from a Quark South Georgia Island cruise.  We did the Falklands and S. Georgia Island.  I don't write reviews so don't expect one from me but all I can say is that if you have done Antarctica already, you need to do a S. Georgia Island trip.  It was the most awesome trip I have ever taken in my life.  

DON

I'm going with Quark in November.  I did a HAL trip to Antarctica so super excited to get off the ship and get to South Georgia!

On 12/16/2018 at 10:51 AM, donaldsc said:

Just got back from a Quark South Georgia Island cruise.  We did the Falklands and S. Georgia Island.  I don't write reviews so don't expect one from me but all I can say is that if you have done Antarctica already, you need to do a S. Georgia Island trip.  It was the most awesome trip I have ever taken in my life.  

DON

Agree 100% ... absolutely worth the added $$$s and time ... very much a highlight of any trip to Antarctica.

Totally agree! We just returned last month from a trip with Hurtigruten to the Falkland Islands, South Georgia and Antarctica. We had previously done a sail by with HAL to Antarctica, also stopping at Stanley in the Falklands. We decided we had to do some landings in Antarctica before we get too old!

If you are doing an expedition trip to Antarctica, then adding South Georgia and the Falklands is a must, IMO. The wildlife is just beyond imagination! Literally hundreds of thousands of penguins as far as the eye can see. We loved the wildlife in all three places, but I think South Georgia was probably the most impressive. 

Would love to go again, on another expedition cruise, but the cost has to be considered unfortunately.