Lessons learned

KevBew

My entire family planned a cruise on JOS next week. I couldn't plan on going because of scheduling conflicts. I managed to move some things around and decided I could work around the 6 day cruise and be with the whole family for what may be the last cruise we could all take together.

I have been searching the web sites for a decent fare but almost everything was sold out. But last evening I found a one person fare the was acceptable and I booked it on line with one of the on line agencies. I received a confirmation number and a receipt from the agency.

I called this afternoon to inquire about travel docs and was placed on hold for about 15 minutes, not a good sign. The agent came back on the line and said she was VERY sorry but their booking system failed and I did not have a reservation despite TWO emails indicating I did.

She said she could do nothing and that she was very sorry. And with that and a dollar I might be able to get a cup of coffee. So now I sit with a round-trip airfare ticket between SFO and FLL for a cruise I won't be going on.

I will never use the on line services again without getting a PERSON confirming I have a reservation. Specifically, Cruise411.com.

Kev,

I am so sorry about your situation. Is there any way to be added as a third in one of your family member's cabins? Then maybe you can get a pier upgrade to your own room if there is a no-show or something. A long shot, I know, but I am sure your family would be willing to squeeze a bit to have you along.

Tracy

We're looking into that or possibly trying for a larger cabin to buy up that would have more space. I'm not giving up on anything except the TA that dropped the ball. Thanks for the advice!

I think that is a great way to try to solve it. Do you think that the company that misled you should also be trying to arrange something in parallel? Call them, ask them!

If you cant work this out I suggest you contact the company who falsley claimed you had a reservation and raise HOLY HELL about how they owe you the money for the airline ticket because, if it were not for their email confirmation of your reservation on this cruise ship, you would not have purchased an air ticket. They owe you the cost of the ticket!

If they dpont budge perhaps you can call your credit card company, explain the situation, and ask them if there is any way you can claim a form of "fraud" regarding this charge.

Good luck and I hope you make the trip!

We're looking into that or possibly trying for a larger cabin to buy up that would have more space. I'm not giving up on anything except the TA that dropped the ball. Thanks for the advice!

Plus, there are bound to be some cancellations....keep the faith.:) Hey, I just checked RCI, and there are 2 family oceanviews available....if it's for the 22nd? Go check it out!!

If you don't receive SOME sort of satisfaction from cruise411.com---air fare refund (a LONG shot), BIG discount or upgrade on a future cruise in the form of a voucher, etc.---the members of this board could help I think. If you give us enough specifics (without giving away too much info about yourself online, for security measures) we could bombard them with emails. This is the kind of thing that could happen to ANY OF US. On my upcoming cruise I was erroneously quoted $100 per person below what the rock bottom price for the cruise is. They finally gave us free travel insurance and a $50 onboard credit. I wasn't TOO upset because the price had sounded too good to be true anyway, even tho the guy said it was the "bottom line, federal and port charges included." He just screwed up. It happens. Nobody's perfect. But what happened to you was MAJOR. Keep us updated and GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

PS. As an afterthought to help us all, especially me, keep things in perspective, one of my best friends is a resident at Johns Hopkins and he just finished a really BAD week by having a heart transplant patient die 30 minutes after the patient and his wife gave him the "thank you so much for all your good care and your concern" talk. Yeah. Things happen. Some things worse than others.

But YOUR bad thing,tho perhaps not so significant in the BIG picture, is at least, in some measure, fixable.

Well, it must have been all the positive thoughts from all of you because I got a call today that an inside on 7 opened up this morning! I am confirmed and awaiting e-docs. All of the good vibes from you folks must have been the motivation needed. I'm going to keep things quiet and greet the whole family on the ship. It will be a great surprise for my parents. Thanks again for all the supportive responses.

Well, it must have been all the positive thoughts from all of you because I got a call today that an inside on 7 opened up this morning! I am confirmed and awaiting e-docs. All of the good vibes from you folks must have been the motivation needed. I'm going to keep things quiet and greet the whole family on the ship. It will be a great surprise for my parents. Thanks again for all the supportive responses.
That's great! Enjoy your trip, and good luck with it being a surprise and NOT a heart attack! ;)

I'm going to keep things quiet and greet the whole family on the ship. It will be a great surprise for my parents.

Wonderful news! Ya see? Sometimes things DO work out! Have a fantastic time with your family.

Tracy

Archived