Just off QM2

Pear Carr

For those who have recently questioned standards slipping with regard to dress code, service and food in the main dining room, I just wanted to give a brief overview of our east bound transatlantic crossing to hopefully dispel any doubts with regard to forthcoming travel on QM2.  Embarkation was swift and professional. Dress code was adhered to to a very high standard with most opting for dinner suits/evening wear on the three formal nights and cocktail/smart suits on the other four.  Service in the dining room was excellent for breakfast, lunch and dinner and the food was generally of a high standard with plenty of choice including the usual specials of lobster tail, beef wellington, lamb rack, steaks etc. Saw a couple of the shows and lectures which were enjoyable. Did not dine in Kings Court as prefer not to, however, did check it out and having recently been on a Celebrity cruise I would argue that it is a much calmer environment than Celebrity, who certainly offer a greater variety of food than Cunard, which I think is to encourage more people to use the self service restaurant as we found service and menu choice in the main dining room inferior on Celebrity.  One area which does need updating and maintaining to a higher standard is the public toilets for which Celebrity receive a gold star - whilst some might find this a petty issue, the QM2 should try to achieve excellence in all public areas.  We had a couple of choppy days but this did not detract from our enjoyment as the Ship was handled well.  For the recent post questioning corkage - it was $20 on this crossing - whilst we did not take advantage, we have no qualms about taking wine on board in the future.  Drink prices were as previously discussed but having paid $12 plus 20% tip for a glass of wine in NYC I think they are to be expected and service in all bars was excellent.  As previously noted, cold canapés served in The Commodore Club and Chart Room.  Unfortunately, disembarkation was chaotic and slow.  Still love QM2!

• Like 2