classic beverage package question

jjduck

Hello,

We will be on the Eclipse next year and have opted for the classic beverage package as a perk, which we have never had before.  So, looking to find out "how it works"?  Do you receive a special sticker on the sea pass card?  How do they know not to charge you?  (I know, sounds silly, but I really have no idea how this perk works!)  Are the coffee drinks from Bacio?   Any information is appreciated.

thanks!

Noreen

Its encoded on your sea pass card.  There are a set of letters just above your muster station.  We usually have PALL - Premium Alcohol.   DD has PNAL which I presume means premium non alcoholic.   So Classic would be CAL?

Yes El Biacio does a huge range of specialty coffees

Edited by GastroGnome

From my experience, Celebrity will scan your card each time you have a drink.  If they remember you, they might just input the information into the system manually.  But each purchase will be registered.

Occasionally, Celebrity will charge me by mistake.  If the charge is not removed in 24 hours, I stop by guest Services to have it removed.

Also, if you purchased the package on the ship, they might just put a sticker in your sea pass card.  You can always go to guest Services and print a new card if you prefer.

Enjoy your cruise and drink package.

7 hours ago, jjduck said:

Hello,

We will be on the Eclipse next year and have opted for the classic beverage package as a perk, which we have never had before.  So, looking to find out "how it works"?  Do you receive a special sticker on the sea pass card?  How do they know not to charge you?  (I know, sounds silly, but I really have no idea how this perk works!)  Are the coffee drinks from Bacio?   Any information is appreciated.

thanks!

Noreen

No stickers on your Seapass card for the BP. Since you have the Classic Beverage Package on your Seapass card under Package Type you will see CALL for the CBP. Each time you order a drink the sever will take your Seapass card and it will be swiped for the purchase. It will show in their system that you have the CBP. Same as if you were buying drinks without the BP. Only difference is no signing for your drinks and no charge. In case you aren't sure the gratuities are already included with the BP. 

You will know if you’re being charged if they ask for your signature.

if they ever ask you to sign a receipt, that’s the time to confirm you have a package.

if they just scan and return your seapass, that’s how it’s supposed to work, and no billing occurs.

And ... I should just add, if you just ask the waiter or bartender for a drink within classic beverage package, they seem to know just what to do for you.  

There is a bar or two that may not have any drinks available for you within the classic package, but never fear, there will be one nearby that does.  Last year, when we were at the martini bar, they didn't have any of the small martinis available under the classic package but I could go one deck down and get one there.  They may have changed this by now but even if not, you can pay the 'difference' between the cost of the drink and limit of your package.  Or, you can always upgrade to the premium package if you feel it is worth your while.  

You can also choose to upgrade to premium either before on on your cruise. There have been a lot of specials lately for 20% off doing this before hand, which makes it a good deal if you like premium spirits and/or plan to frequent venues like the World Class Bar. 

Classic Package Drinks

$59 USD/per night*

Includes drinks up to $9 and those of the Standard Beverage Package. An 18% service charge is added to each check. Wines by the bottle are discounted by 15%

VODKA

• Absolut and Flavors
  • New Amsterdam
  • Smirnoff
  • Tito’s

GIN

• Beefeater
  • Bombay Dry
  • Gordon’s

TEQUILA

• Cazadores Blanco
  • Don Julio Blanco
  • Herradura Blanco

WHISKEY (BOURBON, CANADIAN, IRISH, AND SCOTCH)

• Canadian Club
  • Dewar’s White Label
  • Famous Grouse
  • Jim Beam
  • Johnnie Walker Red
  • Monkey Shoulder
  • Seagram’s 7
  • Seagram’s VO

COCKTAILS

A large selection of classic cocktails made with Classic Beverage Package spirits

RUM

• Bacardi & Flavors
  • Bacardi Oakheart
  • Captain Morgan's
  • Kraken Black Spiced
  • Malibu
  • Myer’s
  • Wray & Nephew

LIQUEURS & COGNACS

• Campari
  • Galliano
  • Goldschlager
  • Hennessy VS
  • Kahlua
  • Kirsch
  • Licor 43
  • Novo Fogo Cachacas
  • Ouzo
  • Romana Sambuca
  • Southern Comfort
  • Tia Maria

BEERS

• Alaska Brewing (Alaska Sailngs)
  • Amstel Light
  • Boddington’s
  • Coors Light
  • Corona Light
  • Corona
  • Franziskaner
  • Kirin
  • Kirin Light
  • Miller Lite
  • Moretti
  • Newcastle Brown Ale
  • Pabst Blue Ribbon
  • Red Stripe
  • Sam Adams
  • Strongbow hard ciders

WINES

A large selection of wines from around the world, such as chardonnays from California, merlots from Washington, malbecs from Argentina, and riojas from Spain

NON-ALCOHOLIC

• Nonpremium bottle water
  • Premium coffees
  • Juices
  • Sodas
  • Premium teas

Cheers,

Even though we will have the Premium package, I have a question that should apply to the other packages, as well.   That is, when the drink price limit for the package is stated ($15 for the PBP), does that include the 18% service charge?  If so, the drink that one could order with the PBP would be about $12.75, not $15.00.    Or, rather, does one look only at the price of the drink on the menu to see whether it fits within the package parameters?    Thanks for your kind patience with someone who has not cruised on X and is trying to learn the ropes.

The up to $15 price for the Premium package is before the 18%.  The package already includes the gratuity, you do not pay that when you get a drink.  For example, if the drink price is $15 or less its include no charge, no signature.  If the drink price is $18, you pay $3 + $.54 (18% gratuity).  Your package covers the first $15.

16 minutes ago, dporter said:

The up to $15 price for the Premium package is before the 18%.  The package already includes the gratuity, you do not pay that when you get a drink.  For example, if the drink price is $15 or less its include no charge, no signature.  If the drink price is $18, you pay $3 + $.54 (18% gratuity).  Your package covers the first $15.

I think I may be confused on this....this is from X's site...

*All prices in USD are subject to change without notice. An 18% service charge will be added to Soda, Wine, Water, Classic and Premium Package prices at checkout. Package prices may reflect an additional tax for certain ports or itineraries. Packages are sold on a per cruise basis, are not sold on a per day or any other basis, and no refunds will be issued for unused amounts. Packages may not be shared, and do not include beverages sold in gift shops, mini-bar or room service. Ordered packages may be modified up to four days prior to sailing by canceling and reordering the package. Cancellations or refunds will not be issued onboard the vessel after embarkation day. Availability of beverage packages varies by ship. You must be at least 21 years of age to purchase any alcoholic package and to consume alcohol. See the terms of our guest alcohol policy. Other terms and conditions apply.

I read this as the 18% is charged to the package at the time of purchase...not each drink. I was under the impression the 18% was already covered with the purchase of the package.

8 minutes ago, txflood33 said:

I think I may be confused on this....this is from X's site...

*All prices in USD are subject to change without notice. An 18% service charge will be added to Soda, Wine, Water, Classic and Premium Package prices at checkout. Package prices may reflect an additional tax for certain ports or itineraries. Packages are sold on a per cruise basis, are not sold on a per day or any other basis, and no refunds will be issued for unused amounts. Packages may not be shared, and do not include beverages sold in gift shops, mini-bar or room service. Ordered packages may be modified up to four days prior to sailing by canceling and reordering the package. Cancellations or refunds will not be issued onboard the vessel after embarkation day. Availability of beverage packages varies by ship. You must be at least 21 years of age to purchase any alcoholic package and to consume alcohol. See the terms of our guest alcohol policy. Other terms and conditions apply.

I read this as the 18% is charged to the package at the time of purchase...not each drink. I was under the impression the 18% was already covered with the purchase of the package.

dporter is correct. The 18% was added to the BP you purchased. If you only drink drinks covered by that BP you pay nothing additional.  If you were to purchase a drink that exceed the cost allowed for the type of BP you have, you pay only the price difference for that drink plus 18% on the difference of that drink. 

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

dporter is correct. The 18% was added to the BP you purchased. If you only drink drinks covered by that BP you pay nothing additional.  If you were to purchase a drink that exceed the cost allowed for the type of BP you have, you pay only the price difference for that drink plus 18% on the difference of that drink. 

this makes sense. I read the post wrong and thought it was saying the gratuity was added to each drink ordered...I now see the 18% is just added for any overage...my mistake

This just seems so wrong to me. We get the drink package on Oceania and there is no additional charge for anything at all, and on Seabourn and Regent of course it is all just included in your original cruise pricing. I really dislike all the ways more money is charged in not so subtle ways. 

I guess the shipboard credit helps with the extras.

I thought Premium is up to 13 anything over you pay the extra and 18%?  For example 15 dollar drink pay 2 + .36cents gratuity?  In general almost everything is covered, some of the world class bar drinks are not, but those drinks tend to be almost 2 drinks anyway on the size.  All martini bar is covered I know. 

7 hours ago, kkmiausa said:

This just seems so wrong to me. We get the drink package on Oceania and there is no additional charge for anything at all, and on Seabourn and Regent of course it is all just included in your original cruise pricing. I really dislike all the ways more money is charged in not so subtle ways. 

Welcome to Celebrity. We don't ever get drinks that aren't covered by the BP. 

8 hours ago, kkmiausa said:

I thought that Oceania had several packages.  One that you can Choice for your “perk” which is limited and then a premium version.

1 hour ago, bikerunner said:

I thought Premium is up to 13 anything over you pay the extra and 18%?  For example 15 dollar drink pay 2 + .36cents gratuity?  In general almost everything is covered, some of the world class bar drinks are not, but those drinks tend to be almost 2 drinks anyway on the size.  All martini bar is covered I know. 

The Premium limit is now $15, but the same idea.

9 hours ago, kkmiausa said:

There are very few cocktails (3 at the World Bar) that are above the $15 limit on ships other than the Edge. Super top shelf liquors and some wines by the glass are above. However, I have never paid extra for a drink. Since we always get the Classic package as a perk, Regent. :classic_biggrin:

About Oceania drink package. We never choose the basic beverage package as a perk as it is only wine and beer or champagne while you are at lunch or dinner, all other drinks are not covered.  We choose the shipboard credit, then as soon as we board we go to the desk and apply the shipboard credit and convert to the premium beverage package. It ends up about $250 more per person for a 12 day, but once you do that the sky is the limit.  On Seabourn there is no upcharge and this time with Celebrity we have the premium so presume all should be covered. We don't drink those concocted drinks anyway but did want to make sure we could at least get Bailey's as an after dinner drink which was not on the classic package.  Whatever we are looking toward the cruise.

33 minutes ago, 2+2 said:

If my wife is not with me at the time, will I be able to order two drinks at a time to take back to the balcony. We both will have the drink package. 

Yes. You will need her Seapass card as well as yours when ordering your drinks. 

We had the classic package on our Solstice cruise and we had no problem getting a good drink - even some cocktails were included in our package.

Wife discovered she could get Café Ola? (coffee with Kahlua and whipped cream) on the package and had 1 a day.

we made sure we got the CBP on our next cruise in 2020

On recent cruise I went to Cafe al Bacio many times with 3 seapass cards (wife, sister-in-law, and mine), ordered 3 lattes, and no one batted an eyelash.  Also, you can ask for a beverage and bottled water all at once, which I did often. 

We upgraded to the premium package on board, and had the sticker PALL applied over the CAL - no worries, it stayed attached the whole cruise.  I think we only ordered a couple drinks that were about $1 over the $15 limit...it was great!!