Norwegian's Poor Customer Service

joannmarie53

9 minutes ago, kollegekreed said:

You are 100% at fault here.

Agree....especially since a simple phone call could have saved you all the problem and headaches and us having to deal with a misleading topic/post about NCL customer service being terrible.  

I wonder if there is an NCL worker-only forum with a corresponding topic titled "Customers who hate to take accountability" 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I"ll take the OP's side.  I think all the sarcastic talk is a bit much but seems to be the standard on CC from the cheerleaders for whatever line.  He isn't asking for a complete refund like most of the folks who whine about missing a cruise without insurance;  He is only asking to pay the same amount he would have paid if he had been able to show up.  That really isn't too much to ask and doesn't warrant all the sarcasm.

Yes, he should have had insurance and yes I'm sure NCL is within the contract terms, but they are screwing him over charging him for a 7 day cruise when the cruise was really only 5 days.

I work in customer operations and to me, that seems like a bad business decision.  "If you show up, its this amount but if you no show, its more".  Nice wayto insure a customer never comes back.  Way to go NCL.  Its pretty bad when a cruise line makes United Airlines policies look reasonable.

Edited by Tenderpaw
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Tenderpaw said:

Yes, he should have had insurance and yes I'm sure NCL is within the contract terms, but they are screwing him over charging him for a 7 day cruise when the cruise was really only 5 days.

The OP says they did have insurance, but were not covered if they simply didn't go. So I agree with you about the situation - it definitely sucks. The OP did the homework to figure out how much money they were going to lose by staying home. 

The airline gave them a satisfactory credit for a future flight, and they relied on the communication from NCL they thought promised a 2 day refund of the cruise cost. They considered the balance they would lose, and thought it was acceptable. 

They took 5/7ths of the cruise loss on the chin, knowingly. They were just expecting a refund of 2/7ths. I understand the upset because they feel like NCL deceived them. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, shof515 said:

This is why you need travel insurance!!!!

Yes, you are right about that, I always purchase travel insurance.

However, I think the poster makes a good point.  It appears that NCL failed to come through on their promise.  Even if the promise had some fine print that made it inapplicable, most cruise lines do a lot more when a cruise is cancelled or delayed.

We have had cruises cancelled and both times the cruise line (not NCL) gave us a full refund and full credit for another cruise.  Of course, the cruise cancellation was not because of mother nature, it was mechanical failure.   Still, you would expect more from NCL.

8 hours ago, Cafedumonde said:

I'm with the OP.  If you have the energy, I would pursue it further.  Very sleazy on NCL's part.

The OP no showed on their cruise which became a cancellation. The cancellation was at a point where there was a 100% penalty. They got penalized 100%. Seems pretty simple. 

And the hurricane (which was a tropical storm and depression) stayed well offshore and didn’t hit Hawaii. 

9CF51A48-B26A-4822-B8E5-8365BECECCEE.png

Edited by BirdTravels

I am sorry that your vacation was interrupted by weather.  That is certainly no fun.  On our first couple of cruises I didn't read through all of the fine print and so I didn't understand how they work.  In your shoes I would see this as a tough lesson on travel insurance.  This was something I also didn't consider when we first started cruising.  It is relatively inexpensive compared to the cost of your vacation and will give you great peace of mind going forward.  If I read your post correctly, it sounds like NCL would refund the 2 days based on you being there.  Like others have said you automatically cancelled when you didn't show up.  None of the cruise lines will be sympathetic in this situation as far as I can tell.  Unless you book your flight arrangements through NCL they won't care what happens between your home and the pier.  You can certainly pursue reimbursement and please let us know how it turns out.  I wish you good luck in this endeavor and better luck on your next vacation.

Edited to add:  I didn't see the OP's post about having insurance, so I apologize for that in my post.

Edited by heelfan94
insurance

On 12/17/2018 at 9:30 AM, joannmarie53 said:
Before you decide to book a cruise with NORWEGIAN, read this ….

We paid Norwegian for a one week cruise in Hawaii departing in August.  Unfortunately, hurricane Lane arrived and we were scheduled to fly into Hawaii at the height of the storm.  Lane was a category five, a state of emergency had been declared by the governor of Hawaii, a federal disaster declaration issued, and the Honolulu harbor was closed.  With the harbor being closed, Norwegian decided that our cruise was going to be delayed 2 days and we received a notice from Norwegian stating that we will receive a refund for the value of two days of the cruise fare.

Because of the seriousness of the storm, our airline offered us a waiver to reschedule up to one year from the booking date, so we decided to accept the United Airlines offer and felt relieved that at least we had Norwegian's 2-day refund.

After a couple weeks of not receiving the refund, we were told that we will not be receiving it because we were unable to arrive in a hurricane for the delayed sailing date determined by Norwegian.  In other words, we supposedly canceled.  We did not ever cancel, we were unable to arrive in a hurricane!  After several appeals to Norwegian they refuse to follow through with their written promise to refund the 2 days of cruise fare that we paid for when Norwegian was unable to sail.

Norwegian claims that "the safety and comfort of our guests and crew is always our number one priority. "  Apparently not when it affects their bottom line.

SO BOOK YOUR CRUISE WITH ANY OTHER CRUISE LINE THAT HAS BETTER CUSTOMER SERVICE!  THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS!

On 12/17/2018 at 9:30 AM, joannmarie53 said:
Before you decide to book a cruise with NORWEGIAN, read this ….

We paid Norwegian for a one week cruise in Hawaii departing in August.  Unfortunately, hurricane Lane arrived and we were scheduled to fly into Hawaii at the height of the storm.  Lane was a category five, a state of emergency had been declared by the governor of Hawaii, a federal disaster declaration issued, and the Honolulu harbor was closed.  With the harbor being closed, Norwegian decided that our cruise was going to be delayed 2 days and we received a notice from Norwegian stating that we will receive a refund for the value of two days of the cruise fare.

Because of the seriousness of the storm, our airline offered us a waiver to reschedule up to one year from the booking date, so we decided to accept the United Airlines offer and felt relieved that at least we had Norwegian's 2-day refund.

After a couple weeks of not receiving the refund, we were told that we will not be receiving it because we were unable to arrive in a hurricane for the delayed sailing date determined by Norwegian.  In other words, we supposedly canceled.  We did not ever cancel, we were unable to arrive in a hurricane!  After several appeals to Norwegian they refuse to follow through with their written promise to refund the 2 days of cruise fare that we paid for when Norwegian was unable to sail.

Norwegian claims that "the safety and comfort of our guests and crew is always our number one priority. "  Apparently not when it affects their bottom line.

SO BOOK YOUR CRUISE WITH ANY OTHER CRUISE LINE THAT HAS BETTER CUSTOMER SERVICE!  THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS!

you do realize this is the same as airlines: if you arrive at the airport, the flight is delayed due to weather they are under no obligation to put you up in  a hotel or offer you anything. You are on your own to decide how you want to handle it. You couldn't get to your destination because of the airline, not the cruise lines fault. Do you think other cruise lines have different policies?NOPE. I know a lot of people where affected by the hurricane and it was sad. But I don't think you can blame the cruise line.

It also is interesting you have decided, 4 moths later to post here and you are a new poster. Sorry, I don't think many are going to stop cruising an any line because of what you have to say. I do realize it is good to rant once in awhile. Just don't expect everyone to jump and defend you. Without actually seeing the original response stating you would get to days refund it is hard to judge,but I am guessing had you let them know you could not get to the ship they would have honored the 2 day refund, but when they checked and saw you were actually a NO SHOW that changed the picture. Regardless as to why you NO SHOWED

On 12/17/2018 at 8:30 AM, joannmarie53 said:

Just wondering, because of your one issue, why should I stop cruising with NCL.  Now, if you can post many numerous examples, well maybe.

Also wondering why your insurance wouldn't cover this?

Edited by NLH Arizona

26 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

How much of a cruise is allowed to be cancelled before full compensation is awarded? Could they technically cancel 3 or 4 days of a 7 day cruise and still charge for the rest?

They can cancel 6 days of a 7 day cruise...or every port on your cruise...it is in the agreement you sign when you book.  

This is not NCL exclusive, this is the cruise industry.  

As some one else pointed out, and I missed...first post, long drawn out whining and complaining...months after supposed cruise...only to never be heard from again.  

These type of posts happen a lot.  Bogus/fake IMO.  If I take the time to create a profile and write out a post that long...I sure as he11 would take the time to read the replies.  

7 hours ago, Grandpa Elliott said:

Obviously they did not.

No they did. They relied on an email from NCL they thought promised them a two day refund. That's not the usual case of not doing any work to understand your options. We're assuming they made a mistake and misunderstood what NCL meant. Or that NCL used fluffy marketing language instead of precise legal language in the email (you know, like they do when they call the daily service charge a gratuity, or a service charge, interchangeably). That's different than not doing any research.

But that's just my take on it. I understand other people will have other views, and that's fine. 

We appreciate everyone's comments.  We have traveled with NCL (and others) several times and always felt they were excellent.  We took several months to initially post here in the hope of reaching a resolution with NCL.   After a great deal of communication with NCL, they decided they could not change their "policy."

Attached is one of three documents/texts stating that we will receive a 2 day refund.  We relied on the communication from NCL and believed this was a promise for a 2 day refund of the cruise cost.  We felt since NCL could no longer provide 7 days, we would be refunded for the 2 of the 7 days that we paid.  We understood we would lose the remaining 5 days. 

NCL America itin chg due to Hurricane Lane Aug 25 2018 highlight.pdf

Upon reading the e-mail it is clear that you needed to show up for the cruise in order to receive the credit. Otherwise the no show no refund policy kicks in. While I agree that the e-mail does not say that you have to go on the cruise to get the refund. It also does not say if you don't show you will get the credit either.  

On 12/17/2018 at 12:26 PM, joannmarie53 said:

We are well aware we may have had the same situation with another cruise line, but that doesn't make this right.  We also had trip insurance, but if you check the policy it does not cover this situation.  We understood that having read the policy.

The whole point is that Norwegian sent us a notice that they will reimburse us for 2 of the 7 days of cruise fare because they were unable to provide the service for those 2 days.  They did not state in their letter any requirements to receive the refund, such as having to arrive in a hurricane and several days later.

YOU don't quite get it-   you were a NO SHOW,   you were not on the cruise which is a requirement of MISSING 2 days,    Means you sailed the other 5.    The terms were and are clear,  NCL owes you nothing.   

15 minutes ago, Peachypooh said:

I was under the impression that with NCL travel insurance you can cancel for any reason and receive

a credit towards a future cruise. 75% if standard coverage or 90% with platinum coverage. Don't think

that covers a no show however.

No it does not.    

I don't think OP should get the two days back. They no showed and the cruise line was offering the two days because they knew it would be made up by the Op's spending on the cruise. The cruise line did lose the money that the OP would have spent. It is a business after all, and I would be that the cabin remained empty for the cruise.

7 hours ago, joannmarie53 said:

We appreciate everyone's comments.  We have traveled with NCL (and others) several times and always felt they were excellent.  We took several months to initially post here in the hope of reaching a resolution with NCL.   After a great deal of communication with NCL, they decided they could not change their "policy."

Attached is one of three documents/texts stating that we will receive a 2 day refund.  We relied on the communication from NCL and believed this was a promise for a 2 day refund of the cruise cost.  We felt since NCL could no longer provide 7 days, we would be refunded for the 2 of the 7 days that we paid.  We understood we would lose the remaining 5 days. 

NCL America itin chg due to Hurricane Lane Aug 25 2018 highlight.pdf

I understand why you relied on the promise of two days refund. The statement led you to believe that. It doesn't have a qualifier in the statement. They should have made it clear for you that you had to take the abbreviated cruise to get the refund. 

People confuse "they are within their rights" with "customer service". In this case, they could grant you the exception and give you a two day refund and earn just as much from your cruise fare as they did the people who went on the cruise. What are they worried about? Setting a precedence that people will line up to pay 5/7ths of a cruise they never take? 

Cruise companies are not consumer friendly, and rarely do anything other than the barest minimum in terms of customer service.  In this case they really blew it, because making you happy would not have cost them a single penny. Instead, they made an "enemy" of you.

5 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

No it does not.    

Well,,,, while the NCL “insurances” does not allow cancel for any reason, NCL will reimburse you either 75% or 90% for any cancellation as a future cruise credit. So,,, for a cancellation you would get 75% back. Not sure how a No Show is handled. 

19 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Well,,,, while the NCL “insurances” does not allow cancel for any reason, NCL will reimburse you either 75% or 90% for any cancellation as a future cruise credit. So,,, for a cancellation you would get 75% back. Not sure how a No Show is handled. 

You have to CANCEL,  a no show is not a cancel.    Look at the details,   you have to give notification PRIOR to the start of the cruise,  and officially cancel the cruise.   Ahead of the cruise.