IV--Would You Book or Book Again?

cluso

Perhaps for the Apex Infinite Verandas...

Love the idea of reducing the bed to a queen-size to save space & allow for an interior drape!  Also,  replacing those bulky veranda chairs could allow for a larger table out there and a more open view to the sea. 

Celebrity are you listening?

3 hours ago, BigAl94 said:

This design looks much more appealing to me https://beyondcruise.com/news/po-iona-accommodation-preview

Don't know if we should laugh or cry ------------- for those who don't know, it is Iona. She is P&O' s new ship for 2020.

We love both lines but have to say her conservatory cabins look fab ------------------------------------- to be really honest, hate the size of her and wish they could mix the 2 ships . Edge ship and Iona cabins ;-)

We just booked an IV on Apex for 2020 because of the IV and the king size bed.  When I first saw the IV on the Edge, I thought it was an incredible way to integrate the balcony and cabin and then when I read about the king size beds, that was all we needed to put down a deposit.  Celebrity has made us very happy.  Our last 3 cruises have been on Princess which we really like.  I love new ships and all they have to offer. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Diver2014 said:

I read about the king size beds, that was all we needed to put down a deposit.  Celebrity has made us very happy.  Our last 3 cruises have been on Princess which we really like.  I love new ships and all they have to offer. 

Be warned - those beds are not as comfortable as the Princess Luxury Beds. More firmer.

Edited by dides

11 minutes ago, dides said:

Be warned - those beds are not as comfortable as the Princess Luxury Beds. More firmer.

My only complaint on our Princess cruise in November 2018 was the bed - it was awful.  The mattress had such a large indention on my side that I couldn't sleep around or across it.  I ended up putting towels under the sheet to fill in the hole.

DH offered to trade sides but his side was just as bad.  We'll be on the same ship next May so we'll see if that was just a fluke.  The beds were great on our previous Princess cruises.  I prefer a 'firmer' bed rather than one I sink into. I suppose beds can be as subjective as food on a cruise ship.

3 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

My only complaint on our Princess cruise in November 2018 was the bed - it was awful.  The mattress had such a large indention on my side that I couldn't sleep around or across it.  I ended up putting towels under the sheet to fill in the hole.

DH offered to trade sides but his side was just as bad.  We'll be on the same ship next May so we'll see if that was just a fluke.  The beds were great on our previous Princess cruises.  I prefer a 'firmer' bed rather than one I sink into. I suppose beds can be as subjective as food on a cruise ship.

Did you ask for a different mattress?  Surely they would have spares or could get one from an empty room, if there happened to be one.

1 hour ago, Dimarie40 said:

Did you ask for a different mattress?  Surely they would have spares or could get one from an empty room, if there happened to be one.

Some Edge cruisers said the mattresses were too firm.  When asked, Celebrity did not have mattress/eggshell toppers.  So maybe, no extra mattresses either.

Just throwing in the mix that mattress preferences is personal. When I felt the mattress when I first entered the room, I said "Oh no, this mattress is too firm" and envisioned tossing and turning all night. We like medium firmness usually. We both ended up sleeping like babies (in 3 different cabins) - it was very comfortable for us. I believe that we all have a different notion of what is too firm - hopefully, most will find those mattresses comfy. I hope that they will get some toppers for the poor people who can't sleep well on those mattresses. 🙂

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, cluso said:

Some Edge cruisers said the mattresses were too firm.  When asked, Celebrity did not have mattress/eggshell toppers.  So maybe, no extra mattresses either.

What cluso said -  Guest Services pointedly asked me for my cabin number before phoning through to the Hotel people when they said they don't have anything. I think I read somewhere that someone in a suite got a topper though.....

8 hours ago, cluso said:

1 hour ago, dides said:

What cluso said -  Guest Services pointedly asked me for my cabin number before phoning through to the Hotel people when they said they don't have anything. I think I read somewhere that someone in a suite got a topper though.....

I was replying to Diver who was talking about the bed on their Princess cruise.

My request for a non cashmere mattress due to allergy is still noted on my folio.

Hope they come through with something that is ok... or at least a  barrier mattress cover.

Glad to see that although the beds are king..they do not seem too high off the ground 

1 hour ago, Dimarie40 said:

I was replying to Diver who was talking about the bed on their Princess cruise.

dides and I were just informing Diver of the Celebrity bed situation because one of the reasons she booked Apex was because of the king sized beds. :classic_unsure:

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/7/2019 at 10:02 AM, Mynki said:

Some may find this useful :-

I agree it's more OV with a sliding window than genuine balcony room though. They do look very enclosed to me. 

Very complete video Thanks for posting it.  Based upon what I see I,  have not changed my pre cruise opinion.  It is not very lovely!  Glad I ordered flowers!

We leave Sunday in our AQ class  IV cabin.  It looks confining and tight

and so sadly  "griege".  Bed seems  too big for the size of the room and blocks closet access.. Couch seems very low  to the ground. The slidey desk /mirror set up  is silly, and  it looks like the closet is not going to be big enough to hang 2 people's clothing.

We are looking forward to the cruise for many other EDGE features,  but not this cabin...only choice for AQ Class. Will report back if it's as tight for us  as it looks....hope I am happily surprised.

To answer the original question,  IV- would you book again; yes we would depending on itinerary.  Some of our cold weather cruises it would have been great. Australia in the hottest part of the year when it was too hot to set foot on the balcony & had to keep the drapes closed and cabin door open because  a/c couldn’t keep up with the heat from the sun any view would have been preferable.

We found the IV fine, not the same as a balcony, but we managed to get a sun tan while reading.

• 2 weeks later...