upcoming cruise

imcpa

My wife & I are so excited that our upcoming NZ/Australia NYE cruise is only 12 days away.  We have a few lingering questions I hope some of you can help with...

1.  If I see it right, there is a time zone between Dunedin NZ and Hobart, Tasmania.  Dunedin is two hours behind Hobart.  We will change the clock twice on the two sea days between Dunedin and Hobart, or just set the clock back two hours upon arrival in Hobart?

2.  Can we use our own detergent in the self laundry rooms, or do you have to let the machine use the included detergent?

3.  Upon boarding on Dec 30, I assume our cabin will not be available.  What is the best option for lunch upon boarding?

Thanks so much for the help.

1. Viking will let you know in the Viking Daily when to change your clocks. Whether they will do it once or twice, I can't tell you.

2. The preference is for guests not to use their own detergents. The dispensed product is low sudsing and eco safe to protect both the washing machine itself and the water filtering system on board the ship.

3. Starting at noon, lunch will be available in the World Cafe and in the Pool Grill. A few other venues may have lighter fare available during the day: The Living Room Bar on Deck 1, Mamsen in the Explorer's Lounge on Deck 7. Viking's goal is to have all cabins available by 2 pm, at which time, it will be announced that all cabins are available; it will be the only availability announcement made. If you cabin is supposed to ready before that, don't wait for an announcement but just head to your cabin at that time.

9 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Due to crew work schedules it is unlikely clox will be changed 2 hrs. I have only ever experienced clox changing by 30 mins or 1 hr. I would plan on 1 hour each day.

Andy, as always, I love your perspective. We are learning so much about how things function behind the screens.

Edited by Peregrina651

2 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Andy, as always, I love your perspective. We are learning so much about how things function behind the screens.

Regardless of the direction the clox move, some crew must work extra hours. When they go back, most crew get extra sleep, but the Bridge & E/R watchkeepers have extra time to work. In my experience, when the clox go back 1 hr, each watch/shift works an extra 20 mins.

If the cloxs moved 2 hrs that would require 40 mins extra, which with additional duties could impact the max hours they can work.

• Thanks 1

Dunedin is 2 hours in front of Hobart time wise.

My mistake.  I am still confused on trying to figure out how to adjust my watch when I board the plane in LAX to adjust to NZ time.  I think I have it figured out, as long as I am willing to delete Dec 29 from my calendar this year.

Our two days crossing the Tasman Sea will each be 25 hours long.

I like your approach.  Like I told my wife...we will be at sea for two days...do I really care what time it is as long as I can find an open bar and some food somewhere on board.

Of course there is a gain for you on the way home. A few years ago we flew Sydney - Vancouver, a 14 hour flight with an 18 hour time difference. We left at 10am and arrived at 6am the same day. We didn't know whether to have breakfast, lunch or dinner. It was a long day :classic_huh:

4 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Regardless of the direction the clox move, some crew must work extra hours. When they go back, most crew get extra sleep, but the Bridge & E/R watchkeepers have extra time to work. In my experience, when the clox go back 1 hr, each watch/shift works an extra 20 mins.

If the cloxs moved 2 hrs that would require 40 mins extra, which with additional duties could impact the max hours they can work.

We had this one day when they moved the clocks 24 hours.  For us January 22, 2018 did not exist!!!😳