Cruising without a passport? Read this first.

vacation luvver

17 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I am guessing they did not get medical trip insurance  either

Nope.  The article says "stranded without passports in a country that wouldn’t accept their health insurance plan."

Not many countries will accept health insurance from the US.  You usually have to pay out of pocket and get reimbursed once back home (if you have insurance that will cover you out of country).

The problems this couple encountered had nothing to do with a lack of passports. Lack of ability to buy transport back to the US and general lack of funds appear to be the main problem. One does not need a passport to travel from Bahamas to FL, there is regular ferry service from most islands. Besides, in emergency situations one can usually fly without a passport.

Agree...It's not the passport issue..it was their lack of considering insurance. Nice of someone to have given them this cruise but the few dollars insurance would have cost and not opting/considering for it is the biggest mistake...It's now costing them dearly. Hope they get back to the US and get the medical help one of them needs.

The problems this couple encountered had nothing to do with a lack of passports

Agree...It's not the passport issue.

The writer of the article seems to think that it's a passport issue

So, since Dec. 15, Johnson and Manuel have been stuck in Nassau without cash or a way to get home — including no access to money for international plane tickets to the U.S. The women were headed to the U.S. Embassy Tuesday morning to apply for passports, Roberts told Yahoo Lifestyle, but he hasn’t heard whether they were successful.

I agree that a medical insurance plan should be researched for all ports and whatnot.

However I also struggle to see why US (and possibly Oz also) closed loop cruises allow passengers on without passports. We read so many document and incident things it would be easier to just have a blanket passport policy like the rest of the world.

I understand the culture and cost around passports in the US but having one is really useful.

To Ms. Manuel's credit she has at least learned an important travel lesson about not being able to manage the worst case scenario and to "come prepared more for unexpected expenses."  It's very good advice that people don't always follow.  Travel with your passport, have sufficient cash on hand or easily available and enough room on your credit card to get home immediately from anywhere.   

1 hour ago, Shmoo here said:

Nope.  The article says "stranded without passports in a country that wouldn’t accept their health insurance plan."

<<< So Johnson was transferred to a hospital in Nassau, Bahamas, where her U.S. Medicare was not accepted and she would be forced to pay out-of-pocket. >>>

What countries accept  US Medicare? 

I suspect  maybe they had basic  Medicare 

28 minutes ago, Velvetwater said:

However I also struggle to see why US (and possibly Oz also) closed loop cruises allow passengers on without passports.

One reason is only about 40% of US citizens have passports. The percentage in Canada, UK, Australia, etc is considerably higher.

42 minutes ago, Velvetwater said:

I agree that a medical insurance plan should be researched for all ports and whatnot.

However I also struggle to see why US (and possibly Oz also) closed loop cruises allow passengers on without passports. We read so many document and incident things it would be easier to just have a blanket passport policy like the rest of the world.

I understand the culture and cost around passports in the US but having one is really useful.

Primarily because the Department of Homeland Security determined that US citizens on a closed loop cruise present a low risk to the national security. Having one is really useful only if you have a use for it, and a US citizen doesn't need one for every travel situation. This couple would have been better served by having a good medical insurance policy. There is an Embassy in Nassau so making arrangements for documentation to return home wouldn't take that long.

Edited by sparks1093

17 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

<<< So Johnson was transferred to a hospital in Nassau, Bahamas, where her U.S. Medicare was not accepted and she would be forced to pay out-of-pocket. >>>

What countries accept  US Medicare? 

I suspect  maybe they had basic  Medicare 

Medicare does not pay for care outside of the US (except for a few border hospital circumstantial exceptions). Some Medicare supplements will change to the company's basic coverage when you leave the US. DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

1 hour ago, Velvetwater said:

The vast majority of U.S. medical insurance policies DO NOT cover you outside the continental 48 plus Hawaii and Alaska. Along with the medical expenses, that insurance policy should also cover all the other costs like temporary housing and ALL transportation costs getting back to your house. 

2 hours ago, Julie MacCoy said:

The writer of the article seems to think that it's a passport issue

I can't help that the writer along with the subjects are so ill informed. I wonder if any of them bothered to call the embassy or the State Department helpline? 

The ***** page has already raised $4K. Surely that is enough to to buy two $725 tickets LEX?

1 hour ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Both ladies have learned several lessons here -- bjuy insurance -- have passports -- always be prepared.

We would never think of going on a vacation or cruise without medical insurance and our passports.

Please rethink the fancy font - you usually make valid comments, but why make them annoying to read?

• Like 4

Mebbe change  the title to "Cruising without travel insurance or emergency cash/line of credit"? :classic_wink:

A passport is no good to them if they haven't got the funds for airplane tickets. 

Or to pay their hospital bills before the leave. 

JB :classic_smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ldubs said:

Is this true for emergency room visits?  

Only with some plans like:

"Emergencies can happen anywhere As a Kaiser Permanente member, you're covered for emergency and urgent care anywhere in the world. Whether you're traveling in the United States or a foreign country, this brochure will explain what to do if you need emergency or urgent care during your trip."

Basically you call their Away From Home Travel line asap to let them know.  You will have to pay any bills upfront and submit them to Kaiser for "payment" when you get home.

Edited by Philob