Couple on RCCL cruise put of the ship and stranded in Bahamas.

Do you get  trip/travel medical insurance when you go on a cruise?  

RCCL put them off the sip and they were left stranded in the Bahamas.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/medical-emergency-leaves-couple-cruise-stranded-bahamas-hospital-bills-pile-185216471.html

Edited by Kingofcool1947

And they traveled without passports because the cruise line doesn't require them.  I think there's a ferry they can take back to Fort Lauderdale that might not require passports, but I will NEVER understand anyone who leaves the country without a passport book.  If you have to fly back, you will be unable to do so without considerable time and money spent to straighten it out.  Just so not worth it, especially since 99% of the time if you must fly back mid-vacation it's going to be due to an emergency, and the last thing you'll want to be doing is tracking down an embassy to try to get your documents straightened out.

And traveling outside the country without some sort of medical insurance that is valid where you will be is also mind-boggling.  Again, I understand the argument from the 'young and healthy' contingent, but you can ask my 'young and healthy' friend about breaking her leg pretty seriously on the flow rider.  Accidents happen to the 'young and healthy', too.  There's nothing wrong with being prepared.  These are part of the costs of vacation.  For my upcoming Anthem cruise, trip insurance was a total of $62.  That includes the medical coverage being primary.  Completely worth it!

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/medical-emergency-leaves-couple-cruise-stranded-bahamas-hospital-bills-pile-185216471.html

The reason they were “stranded” is because they didn’t prepare and have trip insurance.  The cruiseline could not take them back onboard not having a good diagnosis.  Extreme sickness and people who need surgery cannot be handled onboard.

It is a sad situation that could happen to anyone (young or old) and yet many, many cruisers either don’t get trip insurance at all or are only concerned with the minimal coverage for trip cancellation.

This is a perfect example why trip insurance, with high medical and medical evacuation coverage is extremely important!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

We never got it when we were younger, and healthier....I would certainly get it at this stage of our lives!

Ditto, did not get insurance for first 50 cruises, but last dozen or so we have it. Luckily we never needed it.

• Thanks 1

Agree with those that say as you age the need for travel medical insurance increases. 

As for the Passport problem....for US citizens at least, I’ll never understand why people don’t get the passport “card” as well as the traditional passport.   It is a laminated drivers license sized item that is as easy to take with you as your SeaPass card.   We always travel with it and always have it when we’re off the ship.   Don’t need to carry the traditional passport but we take that and put it in the safe.    The only catch it that the proper passport and the passport card have different identification numbers.   Just have to be aware which you register with the cruise line.    Leave it to the US  Govt to complicate something simple like that. 

48 minutes ago, emdia43 said:

Both are reported as being on Medicare, so not  healthy. The report says they are on disability, so it's foolhardy to travel outside the US without travel insurance, IMO.

I think you can be on Medicare based on age/income.  I don't think it has much to do with health.  

The cruise lines don't require a passport because the government doesn't.  Seems pretty simple to me.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jobeth66 said:

I understand the argument from the 'young and healthy' contingent, but you can ask my 'young and healthy' friend about breaking her leg pretty seriously on the flow rider.

Or the family whose 10 year old had an appendicitis attack while on a cruise.

25 minutes ago, zdad59 said:

I’ll never understand why people don’t get the passport “card” as well as the traditional passport.

Maybe because the passport card gives you nothing more than a driver's license/birth certificate does and costs more.  You can't fly with a passport card.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Maybe because the passport card gives you nothing more than a driver's license/birth certificate does and costs more.  You can't fly with a passport card.

Internationally yes. However the passport card is a valid form of ID for domestic flights.

• Like 2

The first time I ever purchased trip insurance was on our 2015 Mediterranean cruise, simply because there was so much more opportunity for something to go awry, international flights and all. 

As luck would have it, on the last full day, the wife took a tumble and messed up her knee. More than $1000 in Dr bills, completely reimbursed by the insurance company. Best $260 I ever spent. We even used the Cruiseline sponsored credit card and got double points!

Have purchased trip insurance for every cruise since.

• Like 2

What would make a person think just because a person is on Medicare they are unhealthy.  I am on Medicare and am very healthy.  With speaking with passengers on ships, I am amazed at the number of passengers do not know that Medicare does not cover you out of the continental United States.  Why do people not do some research or ask there travel agent questions.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

39 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Internationally yes. However the passport card is a valid form of ID for domestic flights.

From CBP website….

What can I use the Passport Card for and how do I get one?

The U.S. Department of State (DOS) issues the U.S. passport book and the U.S. passport card. The passport card is used to enter the United States (U.S.) at the land border crossings and sea ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The passport card can also be used for domestic air travel.

The passport card may not be used for international air travel.

Some Caribbean countries and territories, even though they are considered part of the Caribbean may not accept the passport card for entry into their country. You may be required to have a passport book to visit those nations while on a cruise. Please check with the cruise line and inquire if a passport card can be used during your voyage.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CruiseGal999 said:

This and the OP's misleading title .... drama    drama    drama 

I agree, especially since I read the article before seeing it here on CC. Yes it sucks.  A free cruise has regretfully cost them a lot of money. 

1 hour ago, matj2000 said:

I wouldn't exactly call a 3 day cruise a "dream vacation"......

I wouldn't call it a dream vacation either, but for people who don't have the means or money to be able to afford a cruise on their own, this gift probably meant the world to them.  So come on, cut them a break.  Judging by other posts I've seen on these forums, I know many people on here have the disposable income available to only cruise in the finest suites and are maybe cruise-jaded at this point, but for someone who doesn't have that kind of money, it was probably a dream come true to take that cruise.

It does suck that they weren't sufficiently prepared though, I do feel for them being in the situation they're in.  Especially since a bowel obstruction is also a race against time.  If it ruptures, that can cause sepsis and she could potentially die if not treated quickly.  Too bad their friends didn't chip in for the trip insurance as well.  Hindsight is indeed 20/20.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Get you facts straight...they weren't "put" off the ship...bad choice of words in your title.

4 hours ago, shippmates said:

What would make a person think just because a person is on Medicare they are unhealthy.  I am on Medicare and am very healthy.  With speaking with passengers on ships, I am amazed at the number of passengers do not know that Medicare does not cover you out of the continental United States.  Why do people not do some research or ask there travel agent questions.

Medicare covers me in Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, and the Northern Mariana Islands.  I don't pay anything extra for said coverage.

7 hours ago, shippmates said:

They are not of retirement age, they are on Medicare because of disability........

There are a lot of people out there that save a long time to be able to take a cruise, and either can't afford insurance and a passport or just decide to roll the dice, hoping nothing will happen. I never had a passport when I was in my early years cruising, and only took my birth certificate, but now won't cruise without my passport and travel insurance. We have had to cancel before and we were glad we had insurance. Can't imagine getting stranded at a hospital in a foreign country with no way to get home and no insurance to reimburse me for charges.

It appears they are not seasoned travelers or at least seasoned cruisers, so it's unlikely that they would have been savvy enough to think of travel insurance (and if money is an issue, they probably would gamble on not needing it for a 3-day cruise).  I think we need to give them a break with all the "I won't even travel to the grocery store without gobs of travel insurance." responses.

My father actually was "put off the ship" with pneumonia in Samana DR (he boarded the ship with what he thought was a minor cold which quickly escalated into pneumonia).  He spent 2 weeks in a medical clinic trying to get well enough to travel back to the U.S.  He whiled away the hours counting the bugs crawling across the floor.  He always purchased top level travel insurance so he was covered, including transport back to the U.S.  It was a horrible experience for him having to spend 2 weeks in a filthy clinic, but he was thankful that he didn't have to worry about the costs associated with getting back to the U.S.  They did have to fight however, to get travel coverage for his companion, who stayed with him in the DR.  Because she wasn't sick or injured, the company didn't want to pay at first, but ended up relenting.

Bowel obstructions are serious, no doubt - but given that the cruise was only 3 days, I think I would have fought to take my chances on the ship and get back to the U.S. for medical attention, rather than take my chances in the Bahamas.  I feel bad for the couple, who just wanted to have a nice vacation.

• Like 5