No butler service for penthouse suites on Jewel class starting late 2020

maja651

58 minutes ago, boopsahoy said:

Are they taking away the free movies and free room service?

I'm not really a "NCL cruiser" right now so I haven't tried to get any information about the changes.

My guess, it's really only a guess, is that without the butler room service will probably cost. As for free movies I can't see what that has to do with butlers so that should still be included, I think. 

56 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

I'm not really a "NCL cruiser" right now so I haven't tried to get any information about the changes.

My guess, it's really only a guess, is that without the butler room service will probably cost. As for free movies I can't see what that has to do with butlers so that should still be included, I think. 

Butlers deliver you DVD movie selections. 

17 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Because it’s WAYYYY too hard to walk down and get them yourself!!

Absolutely since there is no place to walk to on any ships that don't have it as PPV on the TV.   They don't have a Redbox in the lobby.

• Haha 1

There’s also the Nespresso in the room the butler stocks and services.  

Butlers make a salary but the majority of their income likely comes from servicing staterooms.  Cutting out an extra butler isn’t where the savings is.

Ncl Cutting back costs and services and creating additional opportunity to make extra $ on these new category rooms is the only benefit I see in the change. 

If they don’t have to pay for the nespresso pods AND have the opportunity to sell more specialty coffee that is a win. If they can now charge those rooms a delivery service fee for any room service that’s a win.  Purchased extras for the room instead of delivery from butler...

These rooms have dining areas, larger balconies perfect for relaxing breakfast... folks booked in them are willing to pay extra for some extra time in them. That’ll now cost more and available services even If willing to pay extra will be fewer. 

Im Guessing the few posters here who have zero need for a butler, never use room service, don’t drink the nespresso and book in the full suite just for a dining table to spread their electronic devices on are pretty few. The majority of passengers willing to pay more than double did so for the amenities provided. 

5 minutes ago, littlelulu01 said:

Butlers make a salary but the majority of their income likely comes from servicing staterooms.  Cutting out an extra butler isn’t where the savings is.

Ncl Cutting back costs and services and creating additional opportunity to make extra $ on these new category rooms is the only benefit I see in the change. 

If they don’t have to pay for the nespresso pods AND have the opportunity to sell more specialty coffee that is a win. If they can now charge those rooms a delivery service fee for any room service that’s a win.  Purchased extras for the room instead of delivery from butler...

Are they getting rid of the Nespresso machines?  Why do they need a Butler to service them, couldn't the Cabin Steward do it?

2 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Are they getting rid of the Nespresso machines?  Why do they need a Butler to service them, couldn't the Cabin Steward do it?

I guess they could but they currently don’t. That’s a service the butler provides.  Ncl’s cutting of services only to still provide the same services in the form of the room steward isn’t likely. 

1 minute ago, littlelulu01 said:

I guess they could but they currently don’t. That’s a service the butler provides.  Ncl’s cutting of services only to still provide the same services in the form of the room steward isn’t likely. 

Well, we will have to see when this is all washed out, but until then it is only speculation that they will get ride of the Nepresso machine.

4 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Well, we will have to see when this is all washed out, but until then it is only speculation that they will get ride of the Nepresso machine.

Yes. Perhaps it’s only the extra salary they no longer can pay. I would put odds on them not turning the room steward into a pseudo butler. Doubt whoever decided to cut out a butler salary did so just to save his minimal wages.  Nespresso pods are expensive. Extra sales for specialty coffees and room service delivery fees are likely greater than the butler salary they cut. 

1 hour ago, littlelulu01 said:

These rooms have dining areas, larger balconies perfect for relaxing breakfast... folks booked in them are willing to pay extra for some extra time in them. That’ll now cost more and available services even If willing to pay extra will be fewer. 

Im Guessing the few posters here who have zero need for a butler, never use room service, don’t drink the nespresso and book in the full suite just for a dining table to spread their electronic devices on are pretty few. The majority of passengers willing to pay more than double did so for the amenities provided. 

This is exactly what I’m thinking and why I started this post. I was actually surprised, although maybe I shouldnt have been, by all of the people stating they have no use for the butler.   It is such a pleasure and great way to start the day by enjoying breakfast in the suite with my hubby, and in a robe! Also, for those who have never tried it, it’s super romantic to have a nice meal served by the butler in your suite. It’s private, it’s quiet, and it’s perfect.  

Edited by maja651
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, maja651 said:

This is exactly what I’m thinking and why I started this post. I was actually surprised, although maybe I shouldnt have been, by all of the people stating they have no use for the butler.   It is such a pleasure and great way to start the day by enjoying breakfast in the suite with my hubby, and in a robe! Also, for those who have never tried it, it’s super romantic to have a nice meal served by the butler in your suite. It’s private, it’s quiet, and it’s perfect.  

Absolutely!!

:classic_smile:

GC

7 minutes ago, maja651 said:

There’s always going to be posters chiming in the benefits of a cutback and price increase. The Who needs that anyway and I hated lobster crowd. The suite amenities are what got my husband back to enjoying cruises. Major jet lag and a fantastic dinner from Cagneys served in our room was a fantastic perk. Waking up and having our breakfast already sitting on the table. Coming back from a long day in port and just the right snacks ... waking up before anything open and some great coffee to enjoy on balcony instead of  waiting for Starbucks and needing to get dressed, go wait in a long line. In all honesty I’m not sure how they can create a market for these rooms. Perhaps they are planning ahead for recession?  If they were planning on continued great sales they would just charge more for the rooms but instead they’re cutting back on what makes them better and sets them apart from other choices. 

26 minutes ago, maja651 said:

Agreed we love to sit and enjoy a light breakfast while on our balcony.  Sometimes we go to the Haven restaurant or designated breakfast/lunch restaurant but it depends on how motivated we feel. I would miss our butler. Though we do not use him very much for what we do ask it is very appreciated that we can ask and it is taken care of everytime.